Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Something to replace an old Rab jacket.
  • andy8442
    Free Member

Like the question says, I’m looking for something to replace my 10 year old Rab Extreme down jacket. Its been a faithful servant but has led a hard life and but the poor thing just can’t do another winter. It was probably one of the last Sheffield made jackets and is definitely of much better quality than the ones available now. What i’m getting at is Rab, like Northface etc etc have gone down hill in terms of quality, but I’m still looking for a mid weight Down jacket (that will cover my arse) that will do the job for years to come.

Any suggestions chaps? Doesn’t have to be waterproof or mega warm ( Ihave a Rab Baltura for when things get serious,yes a Rab! But a proper one!) but can handle a tough life.

carlphillips
    Free Member

montane every time!

myheadsashed

PHD made in sheffield 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Try Mountain Equipment. My ME Down is doing really well and must be 4-5 years old now.

pudd
    Free Member

A new rab jacket perhaps.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Mountain Hardwear down jackets are the best i’ve found.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Wash it.

No seriously. I had a Rab Kinder smock that was about 18 years old and a bit knackered. So I bought some Mountain Equipment rag to replace it, which was just too heavy and not very good. I then got a new Rab Andes which was good but way too bulky.

Then I washed the old Kinder thing in down wash and it was transformed, fluffed up excellently, really lightweight and most importantly of all it’s ancient enough to fit in on Malham catwalk.

It’s so good I gave the Rab Andes jacket to my dad and just use the Kinder now.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing a purple rab smock for eighteen years, man and boy. Its absolutely ragged, all repaired with spinnaker tape, and grubby. But I love it, its my dressing gown on cold mornings, my -25 car coat, my cold camping coat. I wish I could buy it again.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Sheffield made Rab that was absolutely transformed by a trip to W E Franklins who used to be Rab’s “go to” cleaners in Sheffield.

Years of sweat, mud, grit and chalk had slowly accumulated without realising – I was amazed at the transformation.

Could be worth a try, unless the pertex is worn out?

I also have a Mountain Equipment synthetic jacket and now prefer it – down was too warm unless below freezing and awful when wet.

andy8442
    Free Member

I love this forum! Always plenty of opinions and fast. The old girl is just too knackered. Too many rips, that I just can’t repair anymore. Some of the panels don’t have any down left! I want something new but of the same quality but finding that is hard.

ElShalimo

PHD is PH Designs: Pete Hutchinson who was behind Mountain Equipment many moons ago. They make exceptional garments for all purposes from ultra-light mountain marathons to polar expeditions.
    They are very expensive but they are made in the UK and you can even design your own coat to your own spec

If your pockets are not that deep then Mountain Equipment, Marmot and Patagonia are very good with excellent warranties

johnnystorm

My Alpkit has served me well inside the arctic circle. Looks just like Clint’s jacket in “The Eiger Sanction” which is a bonus.

matt_outandabout

Montane ones are ace – if only I had the money…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Haglofs or Mountain Hardwear would be my choice..

Not sure if Acerteryx do one? But if they do it’d be well worth a look…

jools182
    Free Member

If arcteryx do down jackets you’ll have to remortgage your house

andycs

Alpkit would be my first choice, but no stock till Christmas.

Markie
    Free Member

PHD. Singletrack visited them last year, great article about a great company…

Factory Visit: PHD Down Clothing, Manchester

Regarding the below, other styles available!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my local tkmaxx has some rather nice hagloffs in at the mo, vastly reduced of course. if only i could afford them…

broadmead bristol, btw (they’ve a couple of other nice bits and pieces too..)

redthunder
    Free Member

PS Might have a brand new one for sale 🙂 Make an offer

andrewhudson
    Free Member

Ye it is easy to replace it by new one:). Get the best winter jackets for this season. Champion, Augusta and many more you can get for your need.

eoghan
    Free Member

I have a couple of PHD jackets and they are indeed fantastic. ~They’re not cheap but down jackets aren’t – in fact compared to “major” brands they’re a similar price but better quality. You can easily sink £250+ on a TNF, Rab or Mountain Equipment down jacket. With PHD you’ll be looking at about £200 for their “standard” Minimus but keep an eye out for sporadic sales.

Everyone who has an Alpkit jacket swears by it – and at £80ish they are SERIOUS value.

I’ve always fancied a Montane Fireball synthetic option – very very light.

Murray

PHD – All our products are made in Cheshire, UK at our Stalybridge factory

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Something to replace an old Rab jacket.’ is closed to new replies.