Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bent my barrel……..
  • RustySpanner

Bollocks.

My lovely old Original 35 has a bent barrel.

The nice man at the gun shop recons it’ll be good as new after he’s fiddled with it, but I can’t see it myself.
    😐

Anyone had a positive outcome with this?

I’ve had the thing 40 years and it’ll be odd not being able to use it anymore.
    Not sure I’d even bother replacing the gun tbh…..

And I’m never lending anything to anyone again.

Cheer me up with stories of success.
    Ta.

somouk
    Free Member

Air rifle barrels are normally prone to bending as they’re quite lightweight. That does mean that if they can identify where the bend is that they could probably do a reasonable job of straightening it.

Will be worth a look down the barrel with a fibre optic camera and follow the rifling if it has any to see if there are any irregularities from the bends.

Klunk
    Free Member

Krummlauf

And I’m never lending anything to anyone again.

lend them this

RustySpanner

It’s only the one bend, not a kink, thankfully.

Looks like the spring has been released whilst cocking.
    🙄

Not a happy sausage.

cdoc
    Free Member

Yep, BSA Mercury, local shop went at it with something that looks much like an arrow straightener and it came back as near to perfect as I can tell.

JoeG
    Free Member

Your gunsmith should use something like this (in the appropriate caliber) to check that the barrel is straight:

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/bore-straightness-gauge/9206-bore-straightness-gauge-standard-diameter.html

CountZero

I thought the title was an interesting euphemism, I was going to suggest a couple of ibuprofen and a cold compress…

derek_starship
    Free Member

Somouk – you speak nonsense. I’m sorry but you do. On this occasion at least.
    Rusty – your 35 has been in the hands of an inexperienced or young shot and the barrel has either slipped from their grip when close to sear engagement or the trigger has been pulled before returning the barrel. The good news is, it will be fine. It’s relatively common with B/b rifles. Is it scoped or open sighted?

RustySpanner

Open at the mo Derek, but I’m thinking about a Nikko/Stirling Panamax 3-9*40 AO IR.

Yep, that’s exactly what happened.
    It was serviced a couple of years ago but has been used by a few people since then.

I’ll find out tomorrow if it’s fixable.
    No new barrels available, but then again it is 50 years old, had a few rebuilds, so it’s had a good run.

Ever tried Burnley Rifle Club, btw?
    They’re local, but I’ve not heard much about them.
    Tempted to try Rivi but it’s that bit further away.

It’s at Blackpool Air Rifles for repair, but I’ve yet to find a shop I’m really happy with.

maccruiskeen

I thought the title was an interesting euphemism,

He was just cleaning it and it went off in his hand.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Rusty – the 35 was my second ever rifle. Bought second hand in 1985 from a friend. It was a .177 and was stunningly accurate. I had an Ox mainspring fitted at T. Stensby and it improved the rifle’s power (obviously) and firing cycle. It had a target spring when I bought it and diopter sights. It was producing around 5 ft/lbs. with the Ox it was up to 11 but with the fast lock time was still really accurate at double the muzzle energy. Many magpies fell to it!

I’ve not been to Burnley rifle club but have shot a lot at Rivi. Rivi is great and has indoor and outdoor ranges. Have you tried Chambers or John Knibbs for a new barrel?

BTW Blackburn has a great shooting centre.

globalti
    Free Member

This is interesting. I used to have a .177 and I loved it; would like to get another air rifle when we retire to Scotland. I live near Blackburn and didn’t know it had such a good shooting club.

squirrelking
    Free Member

BAR have a good rep, I’d imagine its as well there as anywhere else. If you aren’t lucky though you might still get another barrel used.

Cougar

Looks like the spring has been released whilst cocking.

Not a happy sausage.

I’m not surprised.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh and neither Chambers nir John Knibbs have barrels. I know the pain of owning old guns, I just recently got passed a Sterling HR81.

fivespot
    Free Member

Maybe a local engineering workshop could help. If it was me, I would run barrel around between ‘V’ blocks using a DTI to find the greatest deviation, then use a small hydraulic press (little at a time) at the highest spot to get back to straight. Easy goes and plenty of checks with the DTI. Also works with bent motor bike fork stanchions. P.S use some sort of protection between meta-metal surfaces to save damage/scratches etc.

RustySpanner

Thanks for the replies folks.

derek_starship – Member
    Rusty – the 35 was my second ever rifle. Bought second hand in 1985 from a friend. It was a .177 and was stunningly accurate. I had an Ox mainspring fitted at T. Stensby and it improved the rifle’s power (obviously) and firing cycle. It had a target spring when I bought it and diopter sights. It was producing around 5 ft/lbs. with the Ox it was up to 11 but with the fast lock time was still really accurate at double the muzzle energy. Many magpies fell to it!

Mine was a Christmas prezzie from Manchester Airguns, a looong time ago.
    I’d never heard of an Original 35, but it was the perfect gun for a little ‘un, not too big and still powerful enough.
    It’s always been more accurate than me.
    I’m tempted to use it for a while, then retire it gracefully, re do the stock and perhaps treat myself to a Weihrauch if I get back into it.

It’s still pretty immaculate, the odd ding but no rust and the blueing is fine.
    Think it’s a late sixties model, I’ll check when I get it back, tomorrow now.

BTW Blackburn has a great shooting centre.

Was it Blackburn Rifle And Pistol Club Derek?
    link.
    There’s also Blackburn Outdoor Airgun Club, link, just wondering which one you’d tried.

globalti – Member
    This is interesting. I used to have a .177 and I loved it; would like to get another air rifle when we retire to Scotland. I live near Blackburn and didn’t know it had such a good shooting club.

Let us know what you think if you decide to pop down.
    Rivington Riflemen has indoor and outdoor ranges, so might work out better value for money.

squirrelking – Member
    Oh and neither Chambers nir John Knibbs have barrels. I know the pain of owning old guns, I just recently got passed a Sterling HR81.

I always fancied one of those, never actually seen one.
    Any good?

RustySpanner

Just had a call from Tom at BAR.

Barrel fixed, new breach seal fitted and trigger fettled – £15.

Delighted, tbh.
    A lot of happy memories of learning to shoot with my dad wrapped up in the old thing.

Get paid on Friday, might just treat myself to that scope.
    🙂

CountZero

maccruiskeen – Member
    I thought the title was an interesting euphemism,
    He was just cleaning it and it went off in his hand.

Thank you! 😀
    Glad it’s been fixed, and for such a moderate sum, too.

RustySpanner

Can’t wait to get it home and give it a good polish.

I’m glad the euphemisms were appreciated.
    🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

If it makes you feel any better I was out at the range today aighting in my hatsan, just got it spot on and the cocking lever snapped…..

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ha, I had my 52 all of two minutes and the spring went!

Not taken the Sterling out yet, given it a couple of shots to check the scope (which is well out and beyond adjustment) but not chrono’d it. They have a bit of a Marmite rep but I imagine if anything goes it’ll be a perfect excuse to tune it. In the spirit of British fettling of course…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bent my barrel……..’ is closed to new replies.