Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Solid rubber road tyres? (For commuting)
  • hora
    Free Member

Worth trying or no good? Any experiences and which? The rims on my commuter wheels are evil, pure evil to mount/dismount.

xyeti
    Free Member

Definitely worth trying, let us know what they are like,

Personally I’d use Marathon Plus, also a bastard to fit, NOTHING is more evil than trying to get a MP on a 16″ rim though!
    I can’t see past the white solid tyres from the 70’s with rod pull brakes. I know compounds and technology have come on but I’m stuck and can’t see past solid white tyres and white dog shit.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nope. I had a set and they rotated around the rim under braking.

Just get a high-end Marathon.

jwr

My other half uses Tannus tyres on her commuter bike. For road use they’ve been excellent. A bit of a faff to fit, but brute force and ignorance prevailed. If you are considering them take a very close look at the rims (measure them!) and compare to the fitting chart. If in doubt, give Tannus (or their importer) a call – they were very helpful.

J

larrydavid
    Free Member

Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite, touch wood, no punctures (bar a pinch flat due to under inflation) in two every-commuting years.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Top end Specialized tyres were also near puncture proof on my commuter 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

The old solid tyres from the 90s were awful. Like riding in soft sand. Can’t see the point these days. Good commuter tyres are pretty much puncture proof. Another happy specialized user.

Northwind

What were the 90s green ones again, I want to say green welly but that doesn’t seem to be a thing…

Burly punctureproof tyre like the marathon is probably the right tool for the job. I don’t like how they ride mind but they work.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

What were the 90s green ones again

sh1t?

Couldn’t corner, couldn’t stop (or start) all the grip of normal tyres on polished wet granite.

And they used to wear out in no time.

Used to sell them in a shop i worked in one winter.

Northwind

That’s them. Couldn’t puncture but also couldn’t corner (if you ever did find some grip, then they tended to fall off the rim entirely) Genius stuff, actually made my flexstem seem awesome.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Funnily enough they are called “greentyre”

http://www.greentyre.co.uk/

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Better off with some heavy duty touring tyres (Gatorskins? Marathons?) and tubes filled with sealant.

Utterly crap compared to decent tyres/tubes, but so much better than solids that it’s almost funny.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Pretty sure I had

1 puncture in 4 years with Marathon XR (HDguard model)
    And
    0 with the Specialized Armadillo

No tyrespunk necessary

benp1

Marathon Plus tyres on my commuter, were a pain to fit but followed the videos online and that helped

I think the Tannus solid tyres have been halted, you can’t seem to buy them at the moment (I looked a while ago). They were at the Spin London show last year, and I thought they looked good. I think there was some sort of fault with them so they got pulled and are going to be revamped

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I think the Tannus solid tyres have been halted, you can’t seem to buy them at the moment

Interesting. Samuri (of this parish) was using some and said they were great. I’ve been considering them for the brompton when the Marathon plus on there now need replacing.

Sundayjumper

Another thumbs-up for the marathons.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve gone for the fastest tyres I can think of (set of GP4000S IIs) in a sensible (28) width. I reckon the time I’ll save on the commute will easily equate to >1 puncture repair per week (takes me 10 mins to do if I’m thorough looking for whatever’s caused the puncture.).

I can imagine the balance would be hugely stacked in favour of these compared to a non-pneumatic tyre, but if you’re really desperate to avoid fixing a puncture just get heavy duty ones with spunk filled tubes as suggested above. I’m reasonably quick getting tyres on and off and if you have a tight rim I can imagine this could stack things in favour of something heavier duty.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t waste my money on them. Get some Schwalbe Matathon Plus or Marathon Supreme if you can afford them or want something lighter. Either should top 10,000 mil s before they even look like they need replacing and there really isn’t anything better.
    Pneumatic tyres were a massive leap foreward for all forms of transport, why would you go back 100 years?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m still dubious but technology has come on and I can really see the advantages for a commuter – particularly for a Brompton where small volume means you lose pressure fairly quickly and replacing punctures is a major pain in the arse.
    review here just appeared on my Twitter

Tannus Solid Tyres Review

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Solid rubber road tyres? (For commuting)’ is closed to new replies.