• This topic has 31 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by grum.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • So you think mountain biking is a man's sport, do you?
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

When they get it wrong they hit snow. When we get it wrong we hit rock.

jedi

no i dont. its mountain biking for all.

jhw
    Free Member

However big you think you’ve gone, there’s always some loon who’s gone bigger 🙁

zangolin
    Free Member

No.

nedrapier

Does anyone know a know of a non Mail group story about this?

Can’t honestly believe he’s not going to land for 180m. What did he actually do? And where was it in the VB?

Edit: I reckon he’s about a third of the way though his flight path, going to land, in or just to lookers right of when that fan of sluff starts slowing and rounding out.

What’s that? 15-18 metres? 18 metres!? Is that it? Has someone just thrown on an extra zero?!

matt_outandabout

Never 600′ – look at the landing where the shadow ceases. 100+ maybe, but not 600….

bikerbruce
    Free Member

yeah but that video of the skier falling backwards of the mountain top is both funnier and he falls further….

nedrapier

good excuse for posting this one of style merchant Gigi Ruff getting things a little squiffy:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-dthslOf5A[/video]

matt_outandabout

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIr98KPxvYw&gl=JP&hl=ja[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ye Gods and small budgerigars. 😯

I’m intrigued by that little cave in the top of the picture…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Terje is my snowboarding hero

jimjam
    Free Member

The truck is easily ten feet tall. I’d rather do the ski drop, and I’ve never skied.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Is he the guy that just falls into the snow at the end of the jump, rather than tries to land it and ski off?

Saw some guy on one of the Warren Miller films doing a big jump, but he just piled into the snow at the bottom.

OCB
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwbP9WLX3fY[/video]

Lazymike
    Free Member

Who is the hucker? Is it Josh Bender. I remember watching footage of him repeatedly crashing hard off a huge drop. 60 ft it was supposed to be iirc. I can’t decide if that makes him a man or just a complete idiot.

jedi

wade simmons

jimjam
    Free Member

Lazymike

Who is the hucker? Is it Josh Bender.

As Jedi says, it’s Simmons. He nails that step down perfectly, bender cased it pretty hard and hurt himself badly iirc.

The drop in the picture above is bigger than the jah drop, which is the one you’re talking about.

jedi

the marz drop is not bigger than jah drop

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Fred Syverson went bigger by accident.
    Jamie Pierre went bigger on purpose.

Its not riding though. It is jumping off big sh*t with skis/board on.

The bike road gap is scary looking stuff, reinforced super mega gnarly hardcore rad frame neccesary for landing surely.

jimjam
    Free Member

jedi

the marz drop is not bigger than jah drop

Hmmm, their’s hardly much in it but the jah drop is 55ft at the very biggest, and it’s a straight drop. The truck in the nwd is an f650 with about a 22″ lift and 49″ tyres, so easily 15 or 16ft – good for reference. Plus it’s a decent ways out.

There’s a video of some guys doing the nwd drop on quads which has some wider angles than wades clip and it is enormous.

jedi

i asked wade about it a few years ago. said jah is stoopid! 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

He’s just being modest 😈

jhw
    Free Member

That avalanche video is the most epic video in the history of the world

nedrapier

jhw, you’ll like this then: http://www.wimp.com/speedriding/

OCB
    Free Member

Jeez … an’ I consider it an achievement when I manage to manual off a kerb without making a pigs ear of it. 😕

singlespeedstu

I wander if any of those skiers/ snowboarders would notice if their brakes were on the wrong way round? or would they just try to claim their kit was a bit shite?

😉

rudedog
    Free Member

the wing suit base jumping in this is pretty incredible

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhlfz9GQPE&feature=related[/video]

jhw
    Free Member

lol, bet he’s doing it set to “walk” too

wow, 0:08 in the last video – human sonic boom!

samuri
    Free Member

So you think mountain biking is a man’s sport, do you?

I did till I started reading this forum.

nedrapier

I wander if any of those skiers/ snowboarders would notice if their brakes were on the wrong way round? or would they just try to claim their kit was a bit shite?

Ha! From the forum I go on, it’s about:

whether rocker is being overhyped or whether it really is they way forward,

whether hardboots are for snowboarders who are latent skiers or whether you’d be stupid to use anything else for long backcountry tours,

what one’s preference for really long boards or relatively short boards for powder says about one’s skill,

whether certain people on the forum are noobie fanboys who don’t have the breadth of experience to back up their claims/recommendations about their favourite products…

grum
    Free Member

Also struggling to see where the 600ft comes from in the article in the OP. If this is 351 ft:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkZ7Tyf7_YM&feature=related[/video]

the guy is meant to have jumped nearly double the height? Is there a video? Cool shot anyway though.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘So you think mountain biking is a man's sport, do you?’ is closed to new replies.