Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • So what’s your yearly clothing budget!?
    the-muffin-man

On the back of the fancy jeans thread – how much value do you place on clothes?

Back of a fag-packet working out I think I’d be lucky to hit £500 including shoes/trainers/wellies. My last trip to a clothes shop was July last year before I went on holiday. And I’ve bought x3 band t-shirts at gigs since then!

intheborders
    Free Member

Surely depends on big/new your wardrobe is already – example I could probably go for the next year without spending anything, but that’s only because of what I’ve spent in the past.

mattyfez

Hard to say really.. Tend to just buy stuff as needed and don’t really think about it.

I think I’ve only bought socks and keks in the last 12 months and a tshirt or two.

Oh and a suit, but I only bought that as I had a funeral and my old suit is too tight.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I honestly thing I’d struggle to hit half of that! Couple of pairs of jeans/shorts a year from Next, couple of hoodies, pair of trainers per year. Have a bit of a thing for nice t-shirts so 4 or 5 a year…

I live in jeans/hoodie or shorts/t-shirt so aren’t the most expensive person to dress :)

tomhoward

As above, if I need/see something I like, I buy it.

funkmasterp

No idea tbh. I used to buy anything from TK Max but over the last few years I’ve started to care more about where my clothes come from. I tend to buy t-shirts, hoodies, jumpers etc from Rapanui and then occasionally treat myself to something nice from HebTroCo or similar. Whatever I buy from the expensive end will be worn until it’s dead.

FuzzyWuzzy

Somewhere in the £1-2k bracket these days but def reducing as I get older…

nickjb
    Free Member

I try and buy everything from charity shops. General clothes, t-shirts, shirts, trousers is easy. Plenty of tech tees too. Hard to get footwear. I think men hold on to shoes and boots until they are dead (the shoes or the men). I can usually find football boots and smart shoes but have to get walking boots, cycling shoes and running trainers new. Coats is another tricky one, lots or average ones but nothing good, who gives a good gore-tex coat to charity? Keeps the budget well down. Maybe £200 a year average. Wouldn’t dream of buying fancy jeans. Expensive purchase would have to be an outdoorsy jacket or walking boots but that’ll be only every 5+ years. All that said the deals this year have probably pushed me up quite a bit. New cycling boots, some new cycling trousers, found a good deal on trail shoes too and have stocked up. Probably close to £500 this year but have a few years worth of supply

spectabilis
    Free Member

Hard to say on a yearly basis. I tend to buy decent quality stuff so it lasts years. This year I think I bought a pair of Naked and Famous Selvedge Jeans @ about 170 a Howlin’ cardigan for about the same and some cheap cords.

I’ll expect I’ll get another HebTroCo overshirt as soon as stock comesin. So there’s another 150ish

I have built a collection of trickers over the last few years but they could last a decades tbh.

mattyfez

Surely depends on big/new your wardrobe is already – example I could probably go for the next year without spending anything, but that’s only because of what I’ve spent in the past.

That’s a good point.. previous year I bought some leather ‘business’ shoes, some crocs, some slippers, some walking shoes and some trainers, so a fair wedge…but with those on rotation, along with some older ‘dossing about’ pairs mean I won’t need any footwear for a long time as theres not a huge amount of wear on any particular pair, compared to say if I just had one pair of ‘all purpose’ trainers and one pair of ‘office’ shoes.

chakaping

Probably £200-300, if we exclude sporty clobber.

I have a lot of good-quality staple garments  in anyway.

scotroutes

Probably £200-300, if we exclude sporty clobber.

Pretty much that. Topped up with birthday/Xmas gifts from Mrs S.

It probably helps that I don’t have work clothing to think about, we rarely get “dressed up” and our hobbies are basically all outdoor pursuits. Don’t ask for a budget on the latter…

yosemitepaul

I was the OP on the jeans thread. Spending £200+ on jeans is a lot of money. But though I’m not wealthy, I can afford it.
    I’m now into my 60’s and probably have most of the clothing I’ll ever need. I have enough shirts, sweaters, fleeces, outdoor gear, cycling stuff etc etc. I even have a suit somewhere, though even at funerals and weddings I refuse to wear it.
    So, other than socks and underwear I need very little.
    My argument being if I spend £200 on a pair of jeans that I get enjoyment. from, then that will just be about my annual budget.

JAG

Yeah, I’m in the £200-300 per year. Last year I bought 3 pairs of jeans that cost about £120. Maybe a couple of shirts and T-shirts plus pants and socks.

Without cycling kit I’d have to work particularly hard to be over £300.

DickBarton

I tend to avoid buying clothes unless it is absolutely needed – caveat there is I don’t do that for my biking gear – but that is still when it needs to be replaced…

I could go a year with spending less than £50 on clothing, but the next year it could be £400 or £500 (that would be the extreme high end of my spend) – depending on how long my footwear lasts…it really depends on when things stop being useable as until that happens they don’t tend to be replaced. Which makes me sound like some sort of saintly figure, but I do seem to have plenty of t-shirts and shirts that have been collected over the years – I really need to have a clear out of all this stuff I think.

I don’t tend to budget for clothing as I just see it as something to hide my embarrassment at having such an ugly naked body – I don’t mind people laughing at me, I draw the line at panicked screams…

johndoh
    Free Member

Yep – another in the ‘few hundred quid’ camp here – jeans when the current ones get holes in them (usually Levis when on silly cheap offers or Next ones). Almost all of the rest of my stuff comes from TK Maxx, apart from the odd bit of fitness stuff from Decathlon or Primark (Primark’s gym tops are great value at about £8). Every two or three years I will buy a new winter coat which is usually Decathlon and usually around £100.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably more than I think. But equally I’ve been through a phase the last ~2 years of trying to wear some old stuff out then bin it. I’ve probably got 50+ T-Shirts, of which only about 10 are suitable to be worn as anything other than a base layer under a jumper! Same with shoes, there’s 4 pairs of converse that need wearing for another couple of months then binning.

But still in the hundreds even including cycling kit.

nickc

I have a one in-one out policy, so I buy only when I need to. Most of my clothes tend towards the ‘pay a bit ore to get a quality piece’ as opposed to fast fashion from the high street. Big money spinners for me are things like a winter coat, or replacement jeans.  The last pair of jeans I bought were Howies at £75.00 in the sale and now after 3 years, they’re just beginning to wear in nicely

Edit: oh, cycling gear is just when I need it, again I tend to buy better quality rather than cheap, but the thorns and crashes sometimes have other ideas.

mattyfez

Big money spinners for me are things like a winter coat

Yeah I spent about £300 on a nice herring bone wool overcoat…but that was 12 years ago, lol! and it’s still going strong, just gets dry cleaned maybe once a year, so it’s worked out quite cheap!

chakaping
    mattyfez

Big money spinners for me are things like a winter coat

Yeah I spent about £300 on a nice herring bone wool overcoat…but that was 12 years ago, lol! and it’s still going strong, just gets dry cleaned maybe once a year, so it’s worked out quite cheap!

Must look pretty sweet with your Fez too :D

MoreCashThanDash

Cycling and outdoor kit – £500 a year.

Ordinary clothes – £200 maybe?

It shows, and I need to make more of an effort to get my act together.

LAT

If I need clothes, I buy clothes. I don’t need them very often. Long gone are the days when I’d  go looking for a new item of clothing for fun, or to make myself feel better.

on the other hand, I spent a lot on bike clothes last year. A lot for me, but around £200

daviek

Very little to be honest but like mentioned above if I see something I like I’ll probably buy it ….

Eldest is coming on 18 and I still have t-shirts I wear that are older than him.

welshfarmer

Not including cycling gear or work wear for the farm? It would be in the region of about £50 a year I guess.

petrieboy

Now I’m older I’m comfortable buying clothes from more upmarket shops than I was when the kids were little and priorities were more pointed (was always a case of grab an armful of stuff from Tkmax) but these days whilst I’ll happily pay full whack for Japanese denim, I’m a lot more discerning so I probably spend less overall.
    I’ve had some astonishing deals on vinted – well worth having a search for any brands you like on there

Yak

Yearly it’s one pair of jeans, some pants, socks and a t shirt or 2. Jumper every few years, but some of those last for 2o + years so not that often. So < £100 I think in the last 12 months but some years will be more. But as per the jeans thread, if a £90 pair lasts 2 years or more, then that’s better than a cheaper pair once a year. My son is now bigger than me, so I am also getting the odd hand-me-down (up?) from him too. My old insulated jacket went missing just before the winter, handily at the same time as he grew out of his, so I gained it.

Technical stuff? Well I barely ride so haven’t bought anything for a few years.

freeagent
    Free Member

Hmm.. I probably buy 2 x pairs of trainers a year at £50-60 each, a pair of jeans at around £40, a couple of tops/hoodies at maybe £40 each, maybe 2-3 T-shirts at £25 each, etc..

i bought a pair of Timberland Chelsea boots last year a £150, but probably won’t do that again for 2-3 years.

I don’t mind spending decent money on good quality technical/outdoor stuff if its going to last – same with cycling gear – to me Rapha bibs at £100ish are well worth it.

I reckon accross, work, casual and sport i probably spend £400 – £600 a year on clothes.

brant
    Free Member

I think I spent £950,000 or so. Plus Vat.

plumber
    Free Member

I tender to buy lots of the same thing at the same time

Set of work shirts 8

Set of jeans 4

Sent of Undies 20

Set of socks 10

Ill buy the odd print tshirt i like

but the rest is shuff I’ve had for up to 20 years a t this point and I dont seem to be to heavy on clothes overall – any given year it will be £500 or nothing

edhornby

nickjb:    I try and buy everything from charity shops”

I try charity shops and see nothing even close to wearable, if you have any tips I’ll be all ears please.

I buy when the item is worn out, I only replace not add to the volume. Happy to pay a proper price for things that get worn a lot and trying to get everything from places like community clothing and hebcotro. Probably about 400 a year when considering socks, pants, Ts, jumpers,  footwear but this is averages over xyears…

Harry_the_Spider

£250 max including footwear. Only but stuff if I absolutely have to. “Nice” things (artisan trousers etc) are usually presents.

CountZero

Christ knows! I have enough socks and pants to wear a pair a day and only need to put them in the wash once a month. Tee shirts and other shirts again I’ve got more than most people would consider reasonable – I’m still wearing band tee shirts from gigs I bought in the mid to late 90’s. I’ll never need to buy another pair of jeans. I’m currently wearing a pair of Vans I had new soles put on that must be over twenty years old.
    Generally, I might buy something just because I like the look of it, not because it’s essential.
    My Meindle Desert Fox army boots need re-soling, all four pairs, because the foam midsole has literally turned to powder, despite the actual sole being fine, as are the uppers, and that’s around £80-100/pair! I’m really torn between binning them and buying some more off eBay; the most I paid for a pair was £38, new they’re £170, but a resole is around £100. I’m struggling to work out which way to go, I can’t justify the waste throwing out perfectly good boots with years of wear, but it’s still a lot of money to get the soles replaced. 🤷🏼

simondbarnes

Dunno, but hebtroco have had about £1200 from me in the last 12 months 😅

frankconway

I have recently given several suits and shirts to charity but still have far too many clothes Including shoes, boots, belts, cufflinks – many unworn.

The only definite purchase this year – and in the foreseeable future – will be a bespoke 3 piece suit; I supplied the cloth and lining to my tailor about 4 years ago – his prices to measure and make have increased by 20% in that time so…in the next few months.

Other than that – nothing.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I spend less now I’m on the office less. Probably spent around £1,200 in the last 12 months. Half of that was on footwear.

windyg
    Free Member

The only time I actually spend my money on clothes is when it’s work related and then I just put that through my business. Around £200-300.

Normal clothes I just ask for stuff at Xmas/birthday and customers often give me vouchers I spend on clothes.

Cycling clothes, no cost.

windyg
    Free Member

double post

nickjb
    Free Member

I try charity shops and see nothing even close to wearable, if you have any tips I’ll be all ears please.

Mostly it’s about going to quite a few. You don’t need to spend ages as they usually only have a couple of rails for men. Nip in, see if there is anything, get out. Don’t usually make a trip of it, just pop in if I’m passing. There’s loads round here. Can also go in on a run or a dog walk. Had some great stuff over the years. Probably 80% of my wardrobe now.

Another tip is not to overthink it. If you aren’t sure about something just buy it. Worse case scenario you are a fiver down and a charity has some money. You can always re-donate for a win-win

StirlingCrispin

Over the last four years probably less than £200 / yr on normal clothes.

And that includes £100 on my first shoes in 6 years.

But I do spend a lot more than that on biking gear – maybe £500 this year, including a new winter jacket (replacing one that was a decade old). I also wear my bike kit out and about – Keela Roadrunner trousers and the like.

I looked a right state at the GP clinic this morning (but I did cycle there) :)

Coyote
    Free Member

I like clothes so my annual budget is probably around the £1,500 mark. Having said that I expect it to reduce significantly since I discovered Vinted.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.