Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • So, the future wife wants a chandelier
  • drslow
    Free Member

any hints and tips on how to hang them? Old house, lovely decorative centre piece in middle of ceiling, chandelier weighs about 6kg. Very high ceiling. I know not to attach directly to the plaster so how would I do it?

philconsequence
    Free Member

at school if i ran out of glue i’d use tipex 🙂

z1ppy

My parents had delusions of grandeur too (during the 80’s), all I remember they were a bugger to keep clean.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mf58Yndjsw[/video]

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Get some gold teeth and a fish tank that you can see into another room through. Then park all of your ‘rides’ outside in a line on the drive and phone MTV Cribs.

wwaswas

this video explains how they’re attached;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mf58Yndjsw[/video]

[edit] darn.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I’d lift the floorboards above it and put in a noggin between the joists to attach it unless it is already directly under a joist (which it might well be – old light fittings tending to have been heavy. Then hook for chandelier into that beam/noggin.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Thought this thread was going to be about the Bukkake version of a ‘Pearl Necklace’!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOL you filthy individual Yorkshire Pudding.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Yorkshire pudpud +1 if i’m honest.

Cougar

Thought this thread was going to be about the Bukkake version of a ‘Pearl Necklace’!

Face like a plasterer’s radio. Etc.

Cougar

You’re the duke of New York…

… you’re the A-number-one.

j_me
    Free Member

any hints and tips on how to hang them

Noose over a rafter then kick the stool out from underneath them.

jonb
    Free Member

I put 2 up in my house (not ornate things, minimalist metal designs.

All I can say is good luck. We didn’t want to lift the carpets so we had to do it from below. In on I screwed into the joist as it was conveniently above the hole. In the other i used a T shaped thing for plaster board (like a cuff link or bushing extractor). Put it up between two laths and hung it off that. Ours were light though. There was lots of faffing and staring into the hole with a torch. If you can get to it from above do that.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

sheesh, . . . and I thought my £15 standing lamp from Wilko’s was the height of sophistication?

McHamish
    Free Member

Hang a chandelier?

Why don’t you get your butler to do it?

doc_blues
    Free Member

joist, screw in, bobs your uncle
    I wish you better luck than when we hung our fitting – weighs 25kg and took 3 people to hang it – 2 to hold and one to screw in….not a particularly fun ten minutes

LimboJimbo

Mount directly into the horizontal rotator sprocket and perpendicular to the flangle hinge, taking care not to foul the gruntle bracket when gurning it into place.

HTH.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘So, the future wife wants a chandelier’ is closed to new replies.