• This topic has 25 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • So, road discs then…
  • Northwind

Decided to go ahead with my fat-tyre-26-inch Roadrat thing, so just working out the bits… Got the wheels, got the tyres, don’t got the brakes (though I have suitable discs)

So. 5600 105 STIs, what to attach to the end? I don’t expect it to see constant winter use etc but some longevity is good. BB5s? Will the new 105s work OK with my older levers?

ojom
    Free Member

BB7’s

scotroutes

My Sutra had the 5600 105 STIs and road BB7s.

Northwind

Ah hah- BB7s cheap from Teh Germans seems to be a winner, I don’t really need the discs but they’re barely more expensive than I was expecting to pay for shimano or BB5 without so will not complain

scotroutes

Make sure you get the “Road” version. Definitely worth paying more than teh BB5 as they are simpler to set up and adjust.

bol

I’ve got a set of very lightly used BB7 roads in silver which you’d be welcome to for £70 posted if that adds up? I took them off when I had the opportunity to pick up some very reasonably priced Hope hydraulics off here. Email in profile if of interest.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

BB7s or Shimano now make a 105 calliper – BR R515 which is doing me well so far.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got some Shimano R505s which work really well. I would like to get the R515s though to replace them as they’re lighter, better looking and in theory, available in black. But as I got the R505s for £17 from ebay, I can’t complain…

you can sort of see them here:

Running 140mm Ashima Airotors F&R.

Northwind

Ooh nice… Will do some digging, the Shimanos get good reviews don’t they.

Think I’ve seen that bike before, what’s it all about? Drop bar tinbred?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Its a ti On One ‘cross frame (used to be McMoonter’s)
    I’ve built it up for audaxing.

Northwind

Ah, I didn’t know they’d done one of those. Absolutely lovely!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

cheers. Its labelled as “DN6 Lite”, but it isn’t magnetic 😉

Its just got a whole lot better looking having taken the Crud Roadracers off and fitting some 28c tyres (SKS Chromoplastics yet to be fitted)

Northwind

Thanks Bol- I think I’ll pass, for now at least- the bike’s going to be a dog’s breakfast of colours and I want to see it with the wheels on, silver calipers might push it over the edge. Yes, I know, I know…

(actually it’s quite likely it’ll look daft regardless)

bol

No worries. Sad to say, I fully understand.

midlifecrashes

Shimano CX75 too, lighter and lower profile than R515

DrP

I’ve got some r505s sat on my ‘wierd’ DrFine drop bar hydrid cross thing I’m building up… Just waiting for the brifters for the Alfine to turn up, then I can give a review.

One thing is they (mech callipers) seem to stick out a lot more than hydraulic – and may not fit all frames…..

DrP

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Shimano 5700 105 & BB7 fan here.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

BB7s here used for many years. Work really well and easy to set up.

The only issue I have had is the inner pad adjuster seizing when used through the winter with salt.

Looking at changing them for TRP Spyres as both the pads move on these calipers and they are lighter. They are due for release about the 1st of May according to TRP.

Regards

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some Hayes CX 5s, with CRC code they were about 45 each end.

Preferred the look of the Hayes over the BBs and read only Shimano *700 (5700,6700 etc) STIs work with their disc calipers and I have 6600s.

Once the bike is built I shall do a full low down….

scotroutes

?? If 5600’s and 5700s both work with BB7s, how can this be?

Northwind

Shimano have a fine track record of declaring parts only work with their latest shiniest kit 😉 It might actually be true, or it might be their marketing-tech-docs again.

Cable ratio of 5600s and 5700s is different though.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Set up a set of Hayes CX 5’s today, and blimey.. They feel better than anything else road/cable wise I’ve ever done before..

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Midlifecrashes – Did you find it hard at all getting enough tension in the rear cable? I was surprised to find that the Shimano BR R515 callipers (essentially same as your CX75s) have no cable adjusters or any grooves for an adjuster to fit to.

Was wondering if such a thing as inline gear barrels exist to solve this?

scotroutes

My BB7s came supplied with Jagwire in-line adjusters.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Interesting, in less you have fingers made of steel, I see no way you could pull a rear cable hard enough and clamp it to get decent tension. The Deore ones have a barrel adjuster were cable meets calliper. My shifters are new 105 5700s I think so perfectly compatible. WIll seek out some Jagwires then! 🙂

DrP

^^
    The R505s have barrel adjusters on the callipers too, so it seems some of the weight saving of the 515 has been at the detriment of cable tension…

DrP

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘So, road discs then…’ is closed to new replies.