Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • So, now it's all over – BBC F1 coverage
  • Houns

What can i say? I thought the BBC coverage of this years F1 season has been fantastic. EJ, DC, Jake, MB and the rest of the team were brilliant. Actually really good having DC and EJ on board. The red button forum has been great too – Put ITV's coverage to shame

Only two minor niggles – 1. Didn't think much of JL, felt he over talked MB a few times to MB's frustration.
    2. Not having the races (especially today's and Singapore) in HD, hopefully this will change for next season

What are your views?

All in all great job Beeb

darrell
    Free Member

huh

Teetosugars
    Free Member

My views?

That IMHO Grand Prix is the most boring sport ever invented.. and that I'm glad the season has finished. 😐

Houns

Pfffhh

atlaz
    Free Member

Overall this year, can't stand Eddie Jordan (couldn't when he owned a team either though) and Jonathan Legard is a waste of air time. Otherwise pretty decent.

2hottie
    Free Member

Coverage was top, ITV rubbish and made me not want to watch. As for EJ I found him really annoying!!! an wished he would just **** off!

rOcKeTdOg

needs an attractive female presenter, only Houns gets all hot over the guys

matt_outandabout

I watched todays race. At the end the commentators were giving it all 'oh, so exciting, wasn't it great, loads of overtaking, best last lap, yadda yadda yadda'

Actually, it was quite boring really. Glad I don't usually watch F1.

Now, when is the rallying on?

Houns

Ello Matt Ello RD 😀

deluded
    Free Member

Houns – Agreed. I thought the dynamic between the three was excellent.

I also found Martin Brundle amusing, steaming over to anyone in sight on the grid to ask probing questions regarding sensitive issues.

porterclough
    Free Member

I could have done without James Corden's contribution personally…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Me too

kevonakona
    Free Member

EJs hair should surely get a mention in dispatches. Is that real?

stratobiker
    Free Member

It's not very exciting to watch on TV is it?

I was thinking…..
    It's funny how video game makers struggled to make their games look realistic. The F1 today looked like a video game.

SB

uplink
    Free Member

Is that real?

No

The BBC TV commentary has not been good IMO, I took to watching the race but listening to Radio 5 Live for the commentary

Harry_the_Spider

No exactly a massive fan but the BBC were so much better that ITV.

Couldn't help laughing last week when ITV were showing Star Wars Episode I and cut to an ad break in the middle of the pod race.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Agree with uplink – 5live commentary with the visuals is the best combination. Am i the only one who things Brundle is getting annoying?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Yes

brakes
    Free Member

Jordan and Brundle are annoying but Jawtard and Leggard are a bit dull so it provides a good balance. BBC provide probably the best coverage of any sport with F1. I thought it was great.
    The piece with the overgrown schoolboy (sorry don't know his name) racing the Elise was a bit self-indulgent.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

really liked the coverage.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Can we have some more racing drivers on the track next year please.

LittleTones
    Free Member

The BBC coverage has been so much better than the ITV coverage of previous years. The improvement they could make would be to replace Jonathan Legiard with David Croft – His 5live commentaries have been exceptional this year, tied up with Martin Brundle's knowledge would make the best package for next year.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

David Croft paired with Martin would be good next year would be good,
    Croft's pairing with Antony Davidson has been fun to listen to during the pactice sessions, and i hope Antony can get a drive next year. I always rooted for him during his stint in Super Aguri

GeForceJunky

I think Rob Warner should shoot Eddie Jordan and take over, it would be much more ameture, and more more interesting!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

If he could pop a cap in Brundle's ass too I would be pleased. Good god, what a tedious man. Talk about sucking the life out of any occasion.

See what you are syaing strato, that place did look like a video game yesterday! What a crazy circuit, makes silverstone look like a shed in a car park.

clubber
    Free Member

I thought it was great with a couple of exceptions.

Brundle while not necessarily having the most exciting voice is brilliant – full of insight and picks up on things very quickly that other commentators miss.

Leggard – get rid please! Doesn't know enough, misses things, talks over Brundle. Anthony Davidson would be much better!

DC – similar to Brundle. Adds massively to the info and understanding you get

EJ – found him incredibly annoying at the beginning of the season and when doing the sycophantic thing (eg Bernie) but actually created some brilliant moments – eg dragging Schumi out for interview. On balance, worth keeping but maybe try to keep him separated from DC.

Jake H – thought he'd be a bit rubbish but actually I think he did a great job – likeable and as the season's gone on, become pretty knowledgeable.

No ads – brill 🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Legard(sp?) doesn't actively annoy me but on the other hand he could just as well not be there- he doesn't seem to add much to it. Eddie Jordan I think does bring something to it, even though he's annoying sometimes and seems like he could be a pain in person. Brundle, Coulthard and Jake Humphreys do a great job I reckon.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Legard was fine – enthusiastic and often trying to create a bit of drama, excitement even….only for brundle to ruin it with some "well his tyre pressure is probably 0.6% different on the front left, so he'll drop .3 secs, so he'll be in blah blah blah of course I would have done it like this…." yawn. He's just an irritating geek.

Pigface
    Free Member

Bring back James Allan 😉 runs off and hides.

I watched yesterdays race, the first one this year and it was like watching paint dry. The circuit was amazing as some else said it is like a video game come to life but the race……….zzzzzzzzzzz

How big were some of those yachts and there were loads of them.

I am a total petrol head but when will F1 ever become exciting to watch again.

thepurist

I'm with Mr Salmon – I just tune out of whatever Legard is wittering on about. It grates to say it but at least James Allen had some insight into what was going on, especially if it was about Lewis. The beeb definitely need a new main commentator to work alongside Brundle. I'd rather they drop Jordan though – his contribution to the grid walk yesterday was all about him hob nobbing with his mates while Brundle was trying to find some people who were actually going to be involved with the racing. Jake Humphrey has been the best find of the season – relaxed and comfortable in front of the camera even when faced with daunting situations (eg. interviewing Spanky earlier this year) and seemingly already better connected in the paddock than Steve Rider ever was.

retro83
    Free Member

Legard was fine – enthusiastic and often trying to create a bit of drama, excitement even….only for brundle to ruin it with some "well his tyre pressure is probably 0.6% different on the front left, so he'll drop .3 secs, so he'll be in blah blah blah of course I would have done it like this…." yawn. He's just an irritating geek.

I couldn't agree less with that! Brundle's great IMHO

I think even James Allen would be better than Leggard

GaryLake
    Free Member

When it comes to F1 haters are always gonna hate…

I agree with Legard needing to go, the rest have been great, even EJ. He's like a really inappropriate Uncle who livens things up with his unpredictability. I loath the guy but he's probably provided more comedy than annoyance for me.

I've found the lack of ad breaks a slight pain in that I can never make up my mind whether it's safe to vacate the Sofa for a piss or when to get up and make a brew – at least ad breaks decide for you.

uplink
    Free Member

I've found the lack of ad breaks a slight pain in that I can never make up my mind whether it's safe to vacate the Sofa for a piss or when to get up and make a brew – at least ad breaks decide for you.

I just press 'pause' 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

😛

TheChunk
    Free Member

Legard likes the sound of his own voice too much and doesn't bother listening to MB. Quite often he gets all excited when he realises something that MB was talking about 10 minutes earlier.

On Abu Dhabi –

"This circuit is amazing, blah blah blah, they've spent eleventy gazillion pounds, blah blah blah, the hotel changes colour, blah blah blah"

Wow that's really great. It's a shame that after all that no-one thought about building an exciting circuit really. Hermann Tilke – the man who took the excitement out of F1.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I thought yesterday's race was a bit flat. But generally the BBC coverage has been superb.

Jake Humphrey has been good. I expect he will grow into the role.

Brundle is always worth listening to but I'm not convinced by Legard. Yesterday's commentary was like an advert for the Abu Dhabi tourist board.

Coultard is a bit too wooden. He often seems like a rabbit caught in the headlights especially when Jordan goes wandering off. Hopefully he'll relax more next year.

But any complaints are minor compared to the standard of ITV's offering.

jimmy

I don't usually watch F1 but had nothing better to do yesterday.

On Abu Dhabi –

"This circuit is amazing, blah blah blah, they've spent eleventy gazillion pounds, blah blah blah, the hotel changes colour, blah blah blah"

I don't get the fuss. Its a load of concrete and tarmac paid for by gazzillionaires. Strips out any culture and heritage to the sport. Plus, looking at the start grid when they do the walk, it appears to be full of egos and 'look-at-me' types. Jamiroqui, for example – "Yeah this place is awesome, so good for the fans to get up close". Yep, if the fans happen to earn the same billions as you.

Not my barrow.

richtea
    Free Member

Eddie Jordan – still not sure if i like him or hate him. I think he's gotten better.
    Coulthard – boring boring boring
    Jake – knows nothing about the sport. "i remember that race in 199x" – yeah, sure you do 🙄
    Legard – possibly knows less about F1 than Jake 😯
    Brundle – Excellent but stifled by Legard and it shows
    5-Live commentary team (Croft & Davidson) – completely and utterly brilliant. If the Beeb don't put Brundle in with those pair they will have utterly failed ❗

Still, overall, better than ITV 8)

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Jordon – He's OK, even though he comes out with some ludicrous comments it adds some laughs and balances out against Captain Serious (Coulthard) and Jake.
    Jake – Why is he there? Just have Coulthard and Jordan.
    Legard – Get rid of him, he always talks of Brundle and talks a fair bit of twaddle.
    Brundle – As others have said, brilliant.
    The roving female reporter – Not bad.

Overall I think the BBC have done a good job and the BBC Three highlights are very handy. It would be nice to be able to choose to watch support races on the Red Button though, just to get you through the dull bits of the F1 race:-)

samuri
    Free Member

needs more driving up walls and on roofs of tunnels. I thought this year was much better because for a while at least, it looked like nobody knew who was going to win.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘So, now it's all over – BBC F1 coverage’ is closed to new replies.