Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,194 total)
  • So I’ve got this Mercedes and I have questions
  • lunge

It’s happening anyway. Managed to get the low profile front end on the ramps with the aid of some blocks of wood.

Oh yes, that’s what we like to hear.
    When is the next key appointment that you 100% need a full functioning car by?

molgrips
    Free Member

Alright. Later. I’m doing paid work at the same time.

When is the next key appointment that you 100% need a full functioning car by?

I don’t really – worst case I’d take the other one to the Lakes in 4 weeks’ time.

RustyNissanPrairie

It’s happening anyway. Managed to get the low profile front end on the ramps with the aid of some blocks of wood.

oh ****, here we go!

singletrackmind

What was Brittany Spears first hit single called, i cant quite remember.

FB-ATB

Oh Lord, won’t you fix my
    Mercedes Benz?
    I mullered my Passat
    I must make amends

I worked hard all my lifetime
    Mocked by STW “friends”
    Mercedes Benz?

Sorry, but I’m puerile!

ratherbeintobago

What was Brittany Spears first hit single called, i cant quite remember.

😂

MrOvershoot

Top work FB-ATB

Eagerly awaiting status update……..

Cougar

I was quite looking forward to photographic evidence of the “…and simply remove the steering rack” bit 😂

Oh, I’ve seen this movie before. “… using a suitable drift” – you’re gonna need a two-foot length of bannister rail and an eight kilo sledge.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

If I’d just bought a £50k (new) car at 8 years old and discovered that the only remedial work it needed was a couple of mounts @ £600 fitted, I’d be pleased as punch.

I’ve just bought a 3 year old car and spent significantly more than that getting the niggles sorted.

Your lack of patience/determination to prove the internet wrong/spendthriftyness is somewhat admirable!

Cougar

I was quite looking forward to photographic evidence of the “…and simply remove the steering rack” bit 😂

Oh, I’ve seen this movie before. “… using a suitable drift” – you’re gonna need a two-foot length of bannister rail and an eight kilo sledge.

chrispoffer

I’ve got my fingers crossed that it all goes smooth as silk for you MG. I wouldn’t have the confidence to do that sort of job myself, it would have gone straight into the garage so hats off.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I’d just bought a £50k (new) car at 8 years old and discovered that the only remedial work it needed was a couple of mounts @ £600 fitted, I’d be pleased as punch.

Give it time! 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

@timbog160 none of the above, bingo bus (Citroen C8).

@fb-atb
    I think you just won the thread.

oh ****, here we go!

This forum needs to up its gif game.

Kryton57

This forum needs to up its gif game.

Molgrips, tomorrow:

Kryton57

Is there a Mrs Molgrips?

binners

FB-ATB

Couldn’t leave it half finished (and a boring Teams meeting)

Mercedes Benz?
    I’ve mullered my Passat
    I must make amends

Mocked by STW “friends”
    Mercedes Benz?

Oh Lord, won’t you find me
    A sunglasses holder?
    Suffering these comments
    Is a burden I shoulder

You all think you’re funny
    But the jokes getting older
    Oh Lord, won’t you find me
    A sunglasses holder?

Oh Lord, won’t you settle
    Marvin’s engine mounts?
    Trade Centre Wales
    Won’t be held to account

Mechanical hassles
    You love me to recount
    Oh Lord, won’t you settle
    Marvin’s engine mounts?

Mercedes Benz?
    I’ve mullered my Passat
    I must make amends

Mocked by STW “friends”
    Mercedes Benz?

binners

Thats the work of genius!🤣

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Really funny!!

FB-ATB

Apologies to Mols & Janis

molgrips
    Free Member

To be fair that song has been stuck in my head since I bought the damn thing.

duncancallum

That reworking is a classic. I’m sure we must have a musical bod who can record it….

bearnecessities

Just to remind you, Molly, that we’re not mocking, we’re totally behind you. I love your work and admire your tenacity to get to the bottom of things.

Please post up that old photo of your Passat in pieces if you have it – I can’t Google it but I’ve never see anything more “holy shit!” when I saw it – genuinely impressive stuff and I wish you all the best with this current endeavour.

But yeah. Photos.

matt_outandabout

wwaswas

Mrs Molgrips earlier

(crap meme generator)

tjagain

FB-ATB

brilliant – a tad cruel but – fabulous darling!

ctk
    Free Member

Chapeau FB!

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks @bearnecesessities – you mean this one?

Or this one?

bearnecessities

2nd one, that’s it!

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, well I went down to take the steering rack. First problem, my ball joint splitter’s too small. No worries, that’s easily fixable. I have given myself loads of time so I only need to do a bit now and then. Another look suggests that removing the rack should easily free up enough space to get the mounts out. So far so good.

Then I undid the first bolt, and it came undone then span. That’s right – Mercedes, the sadistic bastards, have put free non-captive nuts on the other side of everything, and they’re impossible to get at from the other side. That was a soul-crushing revelation. I stared at it for a bit feeling pretty despondent, thinking about the £400 that the mechanic might cost. Whilst down there I thought I’d take the rear undertray off and have a look at the rear gearbox mount. That proved more complex than I thought too. However, on my way back out to the front of the car I took another look at the steering rack, and without the gearbox undertray on everything is suddenly accessible! Well, I say accessible – I mean with extreme contortion and a very specific combination of tools – but I managed it. Two rack bolts out, the steering column disconnected, and the other two I can get at.

So it’s looking good. I just need a bigger balljoint splitter and hopefully I’ll be able to get the rack off and make enough space to get the mounts out.

There’s only one problem bolt left, I think. The mounts look basically like this but not the same – there’s two bolts on the bottom of mine and the casting is different. Same basic concept though:

On mine, the top bolt on the left is clearly visible from above but I can’t get a socket on it with any combination of extensions and universal joints. The internet says you need a ring spanner with a socket attachment on one end like this:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71I5yrGW4pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I bought these, but it doesn’t help from the top. I’m hoping I’ll be able to use it from underneath to loosen off the top bolt. I’ve got plenty of time though to try things, which is good.

FB-ATB

🤞

molgrips
    Free Member

Also need to get new bolts from Merc as they appear to be stretch bolts. A huge advantage of owning a Merc instead of a VW is that the Merc dealer is a pleasant 10 minute walk away as opposed to a 15 minute drive or a crap 30 minute ride.

RustyNissanPrairie

Can you use a combination spanner ‘upside down’ as a bodge/making a Mercedes specific tool – you could squash the spanner a little so the cranked angled of the head sits on the fastener correctly with the other end of the spanner angled downwards rather than upwards and fouling as used the ‘correct way up’

You can also cut the other unused end off the spanner for a bit more clearance.
    I have a ‘dedicated Volvo spanner’ like this from one job I can’t remember now.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh, I bought the special tool from Amazon, not expensive.

midlifecrashes

You have inspired me to dig out the socket set and replace the drop links on the MX5 which were an advisory on yesterdays MOT. Have cleaned and drowned the bolts in penetrating fluid ready to swap them tomorrow. KwikFit wanted £70 each to supply and fit, and they are only £17 each to buy. Not done any car spannering for years.

mogrim

I’ve got plenty of time though to try things, which is good.

You seem to be repeating the “plenty of time” thing a bit, not sure this is 100% a good sign!

Still, I’m always impressed by this kind of thread. Changing a wheel is about as far as I get with a car.

molgrips
    Free Member

Drop links can be easy if access is good. This car has shiny new ones. There’s other evidence of work having been done too, it looked rather like someone had undone the steering column cinch bolt at some point, and a couple of the undertray threaded clips are stripped. And one is missing, someone had attempted to hold it in with a zip tie, so someone’s been bodging. At least I’ve ordered new clips from eBay which is a brilliant place to get clips and fastenings etc by the way. It seems many manufacturers keep the same bolts and clips for years on things like heat shields and trays so they are readily available.

molgrips
    Free Member

Somewhere there’s a thread that says “I’ve finally given up on my CLS I can’t take it any more. I’m going to part ex it at trade centre wales”

duncancallum

Whats the splitter for?

I’ve never used one…. normally just go bar and shock the taper method

molgrips
    Free Member

I want to split the joints so I can remove the rack and gain access to the mounts. I don’t want to go whacking things because I want to re-fit them afterwards, and I’ll damage either the joints or the rubber boot if I use force. The splitter worked well on other cars it’s just slightly too small for this one, I think I’ll grind it a little bit wider so I can fit it on.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,194 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.