Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,194 total)
  • So I’ve got this Mercedes and I have questions
  • molgrips
    Free Member

now if you had started the thread off with that

Now you see why my feelings are mixed. It’s a damn good looking car especially close up when you can walk around it. The black is actually stunning, it’s so deep and glossy.

Then I ended up on a bit of this kind of road and that’s when my opinions started to shift.

Kryton57

Then I ended up on a bit of this kind of road and that’s when my opinions started to shift.

This may help. I really like my 320d touring, and if you read the reviews or watch the Chris Harris vids you’ll see things like “perfectly matched torque curve” and “fuss free cruise” etc. Now, on a motorway I’d agree, I love my (auto) car for what it offers me there, which is simple, responsive and comfortable cruising without much effort on my part. Now, here’s the relevant bit; as much as those reviews and videos will also talk about “pace”, “acceleration”, “urgency” and “sporty”, whenever I’ve decided I was to safely make progress along a B road for my own amusement, the car isn’t quite right; Although it makes a good attempt it’s not what it’s made for and I ease off the gas thinking that after all I’m a middle aged man trying to have “fun” in a diesel estate. I’m sure a Stig etc could make it do things that I can’t imagine, but it’s not an M3 like yours isn’t a C63.

Your Merc is the same; it’ll be a lovely cruiser, pleasant place to be, looks great and will tow that ‘van with aplomb, but it’s not a B road machine, and never will be. You’ll always find it slight underwhelming in that regard.

TLDR; The Germans have done a great job at building a car to do most things well, but you’ve expected too much from it in that scenario IMHO with or without the House on the back.

And fwiw no, the AMG Line badge didn’t change that any more than the MSport badge does on mine.

wwaswas

Kryton57

Welcome back!

Cheers 🙂

Been lurking for a bit but a molgrips car thread proved too much temptation!

nickc

but until my youngest finishes primary school in 11 or so months’ time we still need two cars.

Bit young to be driving to school I’d have thought?

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno Kryton. I think it’s pretty much exactly the car the driver in me wants. It’s not a actually sporty, true, but it’s a comfortable estate that handles incredibly well, so it’s perfect for just flowing along the road. Even if you don’t go fast (as I don’t) it’s so massively pleasing and also very easy and relaxing. It literally left me grinning on some roads (still under the limit and driving safely!), and yet throughout the holiday noone complained about the ride or feeling sick or anything even as I cornered (a bit) quicker. That’s a pretty good achievement from Merc.

I suppose it all depends on how you want to drive your B roads; if you are revving hard and redlining then it’s not ideal but if you want flow and comfort, it’s spot on.

And let me clarify this is all at sensible and safe speeds, that’s the beauty of driving it, it just feels positive on windy roads without needing high speed.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Yeah, I had W-124 series E-Class, with a 6 cylinder engine. Ride was truly amazing, especially compared to modern rock-hard Audis et al. I didn’t know cars could feel like that. I never got close to exploring the handling (which basically means ‘what the chassis does when the tyres lose traction’, I think), it was just a super-cruiser and could probably glide up to 120 on motorways and still feel rock-solid, comfy and safe.

molgrips
    Free Member

To me handling means what happens when you turn the steering wheel when driving along.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Just to chime in on the fast (or possibly not that fast) german car thing, in recent years we’ve had a golf gti and audi a4 with fat wheels and +200hp. Both drove like snowploughs. Whilst I wasn’t surprised about the old turbo golf, the a4 I expected to be a bit more engaging, being 15 years newer, but in driving terms it was essentially a motorised yawn with a turbo.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

To me handling means what happens when you turn the steering wheel when driving along.

I think that is called ‘steering’.

edit

Broken down nicely here https://www.quora.com/What-does-good-handling-mean-in-the-context-of-cars

According to that, I was actually thinking of ‘transient behaviour’ and/or ‘chassis balance’ and/or ‘breakaway behaviour’.

…none of which discussions I had with my E-class, but certainly did get into with my 2cv, 944 and GTi.

Kryton57

I dunno Kryton. I think it’s pretty much exactly the car the driver in me wants. It’s not a actually sporty, true, but it’s a comfortable estate that handles incredibly well, so it’s perfect for just flowing along the road. Even if you don’t go fast (as I don’t) it’s so massively pleasing and also very easy and relaxing. It literally left me grinning on some roads (still under the limit and driving safely!), and yet throughout the holiday noone complained about the ride or feeling sick or anything even as I cornered (a bit) quicker. That’s a pretty good achievement from Merc.

I suppose it all depends on how you want to drive your B roads; if you are revving hard and redlining then it’s not ideal but if you want flow and comfort, it’s spot on.

And let me clarify this is all at sensible and safe speeds, that’s the beauty of driving it, it just feels positive on windy roads without needing high speed.

You could have described my car – what is it about the Merc then thats not quite right with all that?

molgrips
    Free Member

what is it about the Merc then thats not quite right with all that?

Well, at first I wasn’t sure because the ride was a bit crashy as said, and we then took it on a caravan trip so when I first posted I hadn’t done that much driving in it. But then I set the tyre pressures properly, that improved things a lot. And I got to drive some roads where it was really really good. I’ve learned how to use the transmission properly, which has helped a lot. Also I’ve run some of the good engine cleaner through it which also seems to be helping, perhaps removing a bit of coke from the turbo vanes helps the engine response.

But the main downside is the age and possibility of issues, but we’ve discussed that. And the fact it’s not very economical.

I am however sold on the car – I might seriously consider a newer one in a few years; it’s definitely made it to the top of my lottery-win list.

Re handling – ‘good’ is entirely subjective of course, and depends what you want to do. I’ve chucked it around roundabouts and it’s just a bit ‘meh’ who cares. It’s flat, but just too heavy to be driven like that. But it’s on the flowing roads that it makes the most sense, and on motorways it gets better the faster you go. I don’t even mind that it’s the smaller engine, as it’s actually plenty for this kind of usage. Ok I would quite like the extra smoothness of 6 cylinders, but I’m ok with it. The torque from 4cyl is impressive as is the response at low speeds, thanks to two turbos.

Kryton57

OK, although we have two different cars and mine is a ’17, again your last para is very similar to how I’d describe mine. I think – as widely reported – the BM torque/gearbox ratio matching are pretty much top of the class in that era so I’d get lucky there. Also mine has non runflat tyres which having had a BM with runfla§ts before is a world of difference if your’s does have?

Like you, if ever buying a £70k became inconsequential to me then I’d love own a bigger cruise-ier car. The thing I’ve found that I value is the ability to be wafted around relatively stress free in a nice environment, which for my car is going to be a key buying factor in the future.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am sure I don’t have run flats, I had to look up the markings to check. I have decided I’ll change wheels when these tyres get down to about 3-4mm or so, which hopefully will be in a while.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did it, I broke my promise to myself. I’ve ordered engine mounts….

I’ve rung Merc 3 times to try and book in the diagnostic, and I even went to see them and left my details but they don’t seem interested.

FB-ATB

Ooh, they’re going to run a level 3 diagnostic? This is moving from Hitchikers to Star Trek! When it’s all fixed do we get Star Wars- A New Hope?

Kryton57

I’ve rung Merc 3 times to try and book in the diagnostic, and I even went to see them and left my details but they don’t seem interested.

“Isn’t this that guy from that Singletrack thread?, quick hide”

😀 (Sorry)

binners

Do car dealers have the equivalent of a ‘pubwatch’ scheme where they share information on known troublemakers?😂

molgrips
    Free Member

Thought had crossed my mind!

Anyway they called back. So the parts are on order but if I can get Merc to back me up I’ll return them.

espressoal
    Free Member

I did it, I broke my promise to myself. I’ve ordered engine mounts….

In my head you just undo two nuts, jack the engine up enough to slip the engine mount out then drop the new one in and lower back down.

In reality I would jack the engine up, then realise the sump was squashed flat and order a new sump pan, then spend the afternoon trying to clean the oil slick up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hah. Yes it is apparently one bolt on the top and two on the bottom then it just pulls out. On the 4cyl you can undo the top bolts from the top of the engine with a long extension and a universal joint. On the V8 AMG ones you have to drop the subframe and remove part of the exhaust apparently.

boblo
    Free Member

‘Drop the subframe’ you say…

Isn’t that how all this started?

Are you fitting your motor mounts yourself or washing your hands of the whole car thing as you’ve moved on?

molgrips
    Free Member

Erm…

matt_outandabout

On the V8 AMG ones you have to drop the subframe and remove part of the exhaust apparently.

duncancallum

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah, I know, I know…

It was just your ref to sub frames. I thought you might want to keep quiet bearing in mind the flack/bleating quotient recently…

Anyway, DIY or garage for motor mounts?

molgrips
    Free Member

@matt_outandabout you know I don’t have an AMG V8 right?

@boblo
    DIY. But I can stop any time I want, honestly.

fasthaggis

DIY. But I can stop any time I want, honestly.

It will be fine,just make sure you have the Passat ready as a backup 😉

nickc

Erm…

You are beyond hope 😂

bearnecessities

Next week.

FB-ATB

Nah, won’t be next week- he’ll wait until the next holiday is imminent!

molgrips
    Free Member

I wish I had an engine hoist and the room to use it. Would’ve saved me a day or so with that flywheel job. If I did, I’d have probably had the Passat engine and tranny out for a refurb years ago!

Daffy

you can rent a hoist, but a brace will be enough for the mounts on most cars.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Or buy one on fleabay, and then sell it on when you’re done.

fasthaggis

Nothing to add,I would just like to thank bear for his work 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

you can rent a hoist, but a brace will be enough for the mounts on most cars.

Yes. but I haven’t got the space to work with it.

MrOvershoot

Nothing to add,I would just like to thank bear for his work 😉

I don’t think enough credit has been given for that picture, such subtle detail 😉

boblo
    Free Member

I don’t think enough credit has been given for that picture, such subtle detail

After a slightly stalkerish fashion…

nickc

still have the occasional nightmare about the Capt America jersey. [shudders]

matt_outandabout

Fine work on the photo.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing wrong the jersey, it was the tights…

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,194 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.