• This topic has 30 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • So, if you were going to replace all your kitchen appliances…
  • IHN

…where would you go and what brands would you look out for or avoid? We’re after an american style fridge-freezer, 5/6 ring gas hob, extractor hood, a couple of under counter ovens, integrated dishwasher and an integrated washing machine.

Budget is about a grand for the fridge freezer, £400/500ish each for the others, £200ish each for the hob/extractor hood.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Probably aim for something mid price and german, aeg or similar.

Mainly as we’ve had good service from our sensible purchase John Lewis rebranded AEG washer + dryer. And our bosch dishwasher is now approaching pensionable age and still kicking.

Against all that we bought a beko jumbo fridge freezer and its been faultless. YMMV.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Probably not what you’re looking for, but I’ve just ordered integrated fridge and freezers from here:

http://www.myappliances.co.uk/

5yr parts, 2 yr labour guarantee and seem to get favourable reviews.

They were delivered this morning so I’ll check them out when I get home.

|Edit…have also had good service from the Beko fridge/freezer they’re replacing (retiring due to kitchen re-design rather than failure).

I think they’ll all be a much of a muchness at the same price points.

IHN

John Lewis rebranded AEG washer

Hmm, interesting, is all John Lewis stuff AEG?

Gilesey
    Free Member

I did this last year. Trial subscription to Which? to get an idea of what’s good then ordered from ao.com on an amex cashback credit card. About as painless as it gets imo.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

is all John Lewis stuff AEG?

5 or 6 years back *most* of their kitchen stuff was. The AEG unit had a reasonable review but JL stuck a 3 year guarantee on it for the same price.

No idea on the current stuff.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Bought all ours in one go from a local independent supplier. They got everything in stock and stored it until it was convenient for us to have it delivered. They looked expensive when you compared individual items but they discounted heavily due to it being multiple items and price matching what I’d found elsewhere.

All the appliances were Siemens and all are still working fine 10 years later.

I think it was this place

McHamish
    Free Member

You can also buy from AO through other retailers, i.e. Next or Boots.

Click through a cash back website to Boot Kitchen Appliances, buy on a cash back credit card, and claim boots points.

Win win win.

nickewen
    Free Member

We just kitted out our kitchen with a load of Siemens gear apart from fridge which was Bosch, but all the same group. It’s only been in 6 months or so but well impressed so far. Most impressive thing is how quickly the fan oven gets to temp! (it’s the little things..)

However it is a bit on the pricey side and if it wasn’t for some friends and family discount I’m not sure we could have afforded it.

johndoh
    Free Member

Anything built in just buy cheap, otherwise buy what you like the look of best, they all do pretty much the same thing really. These days I have never found the expensive stuff to perform better or last any longer than cheap stuff, it’s all tatt really, just some of the tatt has an expensive brand reputation.

nemesis
    Free Member

I agree to some extent but if you like cooking for example I’ve found that some ovens are much better than others for being consistent on temperature and heating up quickly and evenly.

Similar, some (gas) hobs seem to kick out much less heat than others though I’ll admit that I can’t think of a logical reason why for a given power output.

igm

For the dishwasher, check the noise level. The quite ones you can put on and hardly notice they’re there. Recommended.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah true I guess a cooker might be an exception for anyone that really loves their cooking.

I am about to order a whole load of stuff and I love the look of this (from the website listed above).

http://www.myappliances.co.uk/prod/Range-Cookers/yappliances-lofra-proqua120bk-range-cooker.htm

squirrelking
    Free Member

Neff or the Bosch equivalent if you want a slightly different finish.

johndoh
    Free Member

Or Baumatic – cheaper and the same simple looks.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Dont forget to check topcashback for cashback from AO (quite often 10% TCB).. just ordered a new cooker (AO was already the cheapest) and had £20 off voucher and 10.1% cashback.

Also worth checking the energy ratings for yearly running costs as over the lifetime of a product can make a difference

DrP

You not finished you place yet??
    We’ve just moved in…!

I bought Bosch fridge today, as our built in one is tiny and not working. Double bad…

DrP

jambaron
    Free Member

Best advice I can give is find a decent independent retailer, if you were looking at buying a bike we’d be saying test ride a few. So in the same spirit I’d say go and look at them at least.

Every manufacturer has its strengths and weaknesses some might make a good fridge but a poor washer etc.

Drac

Bosh for me and I’d use John Lewis or AO.

That said I bought a cheapish Hotpoint fridge from AO a couple of month back and it’s bloody excellent.

benji
    Free Member

Liebherr for fridges and freezers they are built to last, yes it’s the same company who make cranes.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For our kitchen last year I got everything bar the fridge freezer though AO.com and I can’t recommend them highly enough – I went for bottom of the range NEFF with the exception of the dishwasher, which was Bosch (again bottom of the range). The fridge freezer was Samsung from Costco (sort of american style one) who were competitive on price and I got about £50 worth of points back from them. I’ve always had great results with bottom of the range appliances from decent brands. I think I spent about a grand all in including a glass fronted beer/wine fridge.

The most costly thing relative to what it is, was the extractor hood. It was over £200, so as much as my hob and that was the cheapest I could find – an Electrolux or something like that. The Bosch/Neff ones were £400+.

squirrelking
    Free Member

We spent more on a Neff hob to get an offset 5 burner that matched the oven and fan. What’s the point in a Wok hob if you can’t boil rice or noodles at the same time?

Oven was there when we moved in, fan was near enough the cheapest one that was the right size.

Agree on bottom of the range being better though, future white goods will be as free of bells and whistles as possible.

jambaron
    Free Member

For me the must haves would be, Induction hob & Pyrolytic multifunction oven. Lardy cake and pizza are both better when cooked on fan and lower element!

chewkw
    Free Member

If I were to have my own house with proper kitchen I shall have a proper freezer. i.e. like one that you can freeze a person in probably. The Japanese brand like Sanyo, panasonic etc comes first…

Also have a turbo gas wok burner with proper smoke extractor chimney … ya! Feel the power!!! 😆

cheekyget
    Free Member

I did my kitchen last year….everything is now Bosch except the fridge freezer and washing machine there Samsung

trail_rat
    Free Member

i put bottom of the rung bosch in my house 4 years ago – still going strong.

the only deviation was the indesit washing machine – as it was the cheapest one with a delay timer that wasnt beko.

The only thing i would change out of what i bought would be to get a bigger fridge freezer and

I inheritated the belling electric hob and oven – both are pish – likewise the over head filter fan. Useless.

A gas(even though i have to use bottles) hob , a decent oven and a propper outdoor expelling fan will all be fitted when i do my kitchen next year or so.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

over head filter fan

less use than a chocolate teapot, which you could at least eat

uphillcursing
    Free Member

sWMBO bought a full suite of asko appliances. No complaints here against the miele annd Bosch stuff they teplaced

jairaj

I have a Which membership and the brands that regularly do well in home appliances are AEG and Bosch. There are many others who do well with specific products. But AEG and Bosch regularly have highly rated products across many different areas.

Its well worth getting the Which trial subscription which gives you access to there on-line database of product reviews.

vickypea
    Free Member

If I could afford to do that, I’d be spending the money on a holiday or bikes 😉

IHN

Quiet you

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘So, if you were going to replace all your kitchen appliances…’ is closed to new replies.