• This topic has 56 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • So if Orange…
  • hora
    Free Member

Nickegg- theres a Orange5 in the classifieds now- offer him 50% of 08's RRP. He can only say no. Its worth asking.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thought it started off the back of a windsurfing company, tushingham IIRC?

I've been tempted by that 5 in the classifides too, but when you could get a complete prophet for less than you could pick up the 5 frame, some pikes and a wheelset 2nd hand, it's hard to justify.

IMO (with the exception of the 224 which is a bargain in DH terms) most of their frames are trading on the made in britain tag, i'd get the cannondale (orange had a reputation ofr cracking too BTW).

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah but surely the verdict on the prophet is that it's good for the money – the Five is amazing despite the money…

(Ok so there's a degree of troll in that statement…)

GaryLake
    Free Member

About Tushingham, that's sort of correct, Tushingham are still going so I think they sold it…

Back when I windsurfed Tushingham sails weren't all that so they're clearly a lot better at this bike making lark.

JonM
    Free Member

I believe the company was started by Lester Noble who worked for Tushingham sails and Steve Wade who had the background in sheet metalwork.

AndyBurns
    Free Member

I reckon that the 'Made in Britain' side of Orange has it's main benefit in highlighting that they put up with the same conditions that we do, not some dusty trail in California. Same for Hope. I mean, you just have to look at the mud clearance of some American designs…

And I don't know if it's just good marketing, or what, but I can see the benefit in development time for them being able to build a bike one day, and take it for a ride the next. I'd heard that the Maxle Fives came about 'cos one of the welders got curious. Certainly, they do seem to experiment a lot – or maybe they're just using that for clever marketing?

Whatever, I love my Five, it's simple, performs, and I think is beautiful. But I am tired of people saying it looks heavy and then falling over when they pick it up.

Stu

If you want to know about where it all started and the built in Britain aspect of Orange you'd not go far wrong with this Bike Radar interview of Lester Noble.

scuttler

My Five S which has no frills on it apart from Hope hubs and Mono Minis weighs less than my equally no frills 1998 Clockwork. Of course plenty of this is down to general improvements in componentry but there's a lot more surface area to the Five than the Clockwork.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I remember reading that interview, seem like such decent fellas. I really don't begrudge paying those boys what they charge… just keep knocking out classics!

MrAgreeable

I don't own an Orange, nor do I particularly want one, but this:

hydroformed vision of loveliness

has got to be a joke, right? 😯

GaryLake
    Free Member

Norco in producing a visual abomination of a bike shocker!

That right there is what all Halfords specials will look like in 10 years…

MrAgreeable

That Norco is one example, but is there any bike that looks nicer thanks to hydroforming?

GaryLake
    Free Member

This rivals the Norco…

nickegg
    Free Member

Should have known someone would come along to contradict me regarding reduced 5's 🙂

Thanks for the heads up regarding the 5 in the classifieds. When i say i have bought a 2009 one, i mean i already have it and broke it in by doing the Brechfa Enduro last weekend 😀

Going to the french alps in two weeks so had to find a shop with one (Leisure Lakes) in stock as the factory lead time was too close to when i'm going away. Besides i had cash burning a hole in my pocket!

It did come with Easton EA30 finishing kit and a Hope headset so i'm happy.

Gary – Thanks for the cheesy riders invite, just accepted via the link you sent me. You lot seemed like a nice bunch when i briefly chatted to you before/after the race.

MrAgreeable

The old SX looked great, the new one looks like it's been in some sort of head-on collision with an ugly tree.

I don't think Orange would lose any fans/sales whatsoever by switching production to Taiwan, especially if it reduced costs/retail prices.

The likes of Spesh, Trek and Giant probably outsell every other mountain bike company put together so the made in Taiwan badge doesn't seem to deter that many people.

It's great if people are patriotic and want to buy British, but most people vote with their wallet. If they didn't, there's no reason why every hardtail rider shouldn't buy a custom built Curtis.

ojom
    Free Member

I would hazard that Orange would sell a LOT more bikes if they were made in taiwan. This would only be true however if they were to be cheaper as a consequence.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘So if Orange…’ is closed to new replies.