Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Snowdon this Sat ( 6th Oct)
  • fieldy
    Free Member

A few of us travelling down to Wales to have a crack at Snowdon…..anyone else going this Saturday?

fieldy
    Free Member

Anyone????

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Looks like it’ll be a decent day for you. Enjoy.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Good luck, hope you have a good un ! Are you doing Llandegla on the way back ?

Ambrose

Mmmm. Liver, bacon and onions, with chips. At Pete’s Eats afterwards. I’m a bit jealous TBH.

fieldy
    Free Member

Good luck, hope you have a good un ! Are you doing Llandegla on the way back ?

Llandegla depends on how much Snowdon takes out us 🙂

gribble
    Free Member

Would love to be there, picked a good day for it.

fieldy
    Free Member

Job done….a decent day in October too!

The climb was harder than I had imagined, a lot of pushing involved:(

Anyhow had pictures done, coffee, sausage roll and back down.

Guess who forgot to put the SD card in their GOPRO????

What a pill@@k!!

The decent is quality, a lot of people there today, but they couldn’t take the smile off my face!

Next time I’ll remember to take the SD card!

flyingmonkeycorps

Jealous, though three days in the Lakes takes the edge off 😉

Which way down did you go?

fieldy
    Free Member

We came back down the Llanberis trail. We were debating at the top to go down the ranger path but it was very misty so we thought it best to keep to the trail we came up. Plus my 15 year old son didn’t really enjoy the ascent! He loved the descent though 🙂

Some good banter with most of the walkers……although there were a few awkward ones !!!!!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

i take it you had a ve icule parked in llanberis ?

fieldy
    Free Member

Yep a nice VW T5 Caravelle

rudebwoy
    Free Member

therefore a ranger path descent would have entailed a nice 12 mile ride back from rhyd ddu ?

Twin
    Free Member

Missed out there, Ranger path is a cracking descent.

scary_carey
    Free Member

I was up there myself today. Amazing day. Managed to do Rhyd Ddu in the morning and the Ranger in the afternoon. And yes I went up Llanberis twice. I will never do that again…. Im broken now 😀 toughest ride ive done in a long time.

Stevelol
    Free Member

rudebwoy – you can get back to llanberis from the ranger descent if you take a bridleway called telegraph valley half way down.

fieldy
    Free Member

Scarey Carey, was you riding a nukeproof? If so, we were part of the gang who asked you if you were going up again???? Good effort, once was enough for us!!

Stevelol, that’s what we would have done, should we have taken the ranger path.

scary_carey
    Free Member

Fieldy – yep that was me. Did Rhyd Ddu and felt cheated that I’d not done Rangers so went back up. Not moved off the sofa today as a result 😀

Tess
    Free Member

Stunned anybody would climb Snowdon twice in a day – carrying a bike.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Tess – Member

You haven’t met Mr Carey! He’s mental I tell thee.

scary_carey
    Free Member

I did question my mental health after that ride Peter haha

excitable1
    Free Member

Respect Carey, the Rhyd Ddu is an energy killer. I tried doing that double last year but in gale force winds its twice as hard and didn’t feel I could go back up. Like you I felt cheated though and went back the following week and did Llanberis up & down then Llanberis back up, then Rangers & Maesgwn down.

Been back there again today, and did the Llanberis double and Rangers again. Great great day for it. I’ve been buzzing all afternoon, and not covered in shite either.

The Rangers has really washed away over the summer and the drops have got a lot bigger !

Quite a few riders out there today… anyone else from here ?

huw
    Free Member

A few of us rode down the Ranger’s Path on Saturday. Great laugh and we were really lucky with the weather and conditions. Shame there was cloud at the summit but the views were incredible just a short way down. Bit busy with walkers and other riders right on top but once we were on the Ranger’s Path it was pretty quiet. Had loads of funny and friendly comments off the walkers, and they all pulled to the side to let us pass and watch, no negatives which was great.

Short video here for those interested to see what it’s like.

Snowdon Ranger’s Path

FuzzyWuzzy

Isn’t riding Snowdon more of a bucket list thing, surely there’s much better MTBing in the area but lots of people seem to be doing it quite often so I’m confused, is the Ranger’s Path descent really worth the hike-a-bike effort…?

soma_rich
    Free Member

And yes I went up Llanberis twice

My god are you mad?

flyingmonkeycorps

Isn’t riding Snowdon more of a bucket list thing, surely there’s much better MTBing in the area but lots of people seem to be doing it quite often so I’m confused, is the Ranger’s Path descent really worth the hike-a-bike effort…?

You’ve not done it then? 😉

There may well be better stuff in the area, but I doubt there’s much that’s as much fun for as long…

D0NK

what he said, I’d need a lighter bike

Isn’t riding Snowdon more of a bucket list thing

should be on anyone’s bucket list but once you’ve done it you’ll want to go again, rangers is awesome.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve done it two years in a row, and planning next year’s assault already.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I rode snowdon and Cadir Idris in the same day a couple of months ago…my legs still ache.

philfive
    Free Member

Helvellyn is much better. ride from Patterdale and the descent down dollywagons and the bridalway all the way back Patterdale are great

flyingmonkeycorps

What’s Dollywagon like? We bailed on it on Thursday and went down Sticks Pass instead, which was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. Would be up for another crack if it’s worthwile… Pics / video appreciated!

gdj001
    Free Member

3 of us did it Saturday as well. Lovely weather, was baking going up. Got to the halfway cafe up the llanberis path and thought it was all too easy, but the push/carry on the next section was a killer. Then rangers and telegraph valley back down. I knew the rangers was technical but wasn’t quite prepared for some sections. Had to treat myself to a new rear rotor after I smashed mine off a rock.

We had a walker say to us at the top “it’s all a bit namby pamby if you don’t bring a bike up here nowadays” so I pointed to our bikes which he wasn’t quite prepared for 😆

D0NK

Helvellyn is much better.

in the interest of balance i disagree, but hey, we’re all different. Dollywaggon and grisedale are good but DW’s wheel grabbing ruts are a PITA and grisedales too pedally… IMHO of course.

edit

Had to treat myself to a new rear rotor after I smashed mine off a rock.

hehe me too 🙂

shem
    Free Member

I still need to do Snowdon, I know a few from my area, Aberdyfi did it on Saturday as well, must have been a gang of you waiting for the right day!

Bike wise, I have a full sus26er and a hardtail 29er, I did Cadair on the 29er recently, altho the full sus would have been a bit gentler on my body. What are most of you doing Snowdon on? Ive dne the GoPro sd thing as well, heart braking!

philfive
    Free Member

Dollywagon is difficult but amazing fun and will keep you on your toes.

the video doesn’t show how steep it is, this picture does 😀

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve done Helvellyn via the Great Dodds and then down the Dolly Waggon; I’ve done Snowdon coming down Llanberis, The Rangers and the Rhyd Ddu and; I’ve also done the Llanberis twice in one day with the Llanberis and Rangers descents (yesterday) so….

Snowdon is certainly NOT a bucket list route to do. The climb up the Llanberis is a challenge. The gradient isn’t that steep but it’s relentless and if you push yourself two thirds of it are ridable and a test of technical climbing skills, but hey, who sets the rules that say you can’t push all the way up if that’s you want to do (not me) ?

Llanberis down is a fast flowing blast and it’s rideable all the way down apart from the first steps off the summit. It’s a just reward for anyone who has climbed to the top.

The Rangers path is comparable to the Dolly Waggon descent. I would say it’s better though because it’s more natural. This year more of it has washed away and some of the drops and switchbacks take some real skill and guts to do. The Dolly Waggon is rideable all the way down and a tad easier.

The Rhy Ddu is hard work. The first section is un ridable, the second section is no good for anyone who’s afraid of heights (a walk along a cliff hugging foot wide rabbit trail (with a bike in your hands while the wind batters you)), the third section is like a moonscape and the rest is just large slabs and mud. It used to be an area of mine workings by all accounts and it shows – I didn’t enjoy it and it’s knackering, plus the climb from the road to go back over Maesgwyn to the start of Llanberis is effort enough to put you off going back up to the summit (but not in Scareys case !).

Doing Llanberis up and down or Llanberis and Rangers is not enough for me, you’ve climbed for and hour and 45 mins and you’re down in less than half an hour (15 mins if it’s Llanberis). The double is a challenge worth doing but not with Rhyd Ddu (Scarey Carey will probably die of exhaustion later on today when he realises what he’s done !). Both times I’ve done it I’ve suffered with cramp coming down the Rangers (any suggestion to overcome this are welcome – I drank 2.5 litres during and a litre before I started this time and still suffered).

I think Helvellyn is great. The Dolly wagon is a good technical descent but I did feel like I could do some more when I got back to the car park even though the route is a lot longer than Snowdon up and down.

Both Snowdon and Helvellyn do something that the long muddy trails elsewhere don’t. They provide a sense of achievement and a grin from ear to ear and they leave me on a natural high. I think that’s why I always feel like I could go on and do more at the end. The difference is on Snowdon is that you can do more by simply turning round at the bottom gate !

boltonjon

Good work scary_carey

I done double last November – just managed to get to the top for the sunset and it was one of the most incredible views i’ve even seen

We done Rangers the first time and Llanbaris the 2nd time – Llanberis in the dark was awesome – 4 of us racing each other, pulling of some silly overtaking manoeuvres was something i’ll never forget!!

gdj001
    Free Member

To whoever asked what bike to use, we had 2 stumpjumpers (140mm) and a trance (125mm) all 26ers. My favourite part was probably telegraph valley, which was all out speed jumping the drainage ditches.

fieldy
    Free Member

I was thinking of renaming the thread;

Scary_carey’s appreciation society 🙂

Because that was an awesome effort my friend……

Here’s a pic from our way up

chasinsheep
    Free Member

Him in the Orange is packing a bit of timber these days, thats an XL top….. too much tea drinking and not enough effort!

Fantastic Day, look at that veiw, and thats near the bottom!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon this Sat ( 6th Oct)’ is closed to new replies.