Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Snow goggle advice please – Oakley Black Iridium
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Before I splurge some cash, anyone with any experience of Oakley Black Iridium goggles? I gather they’re a totally different lens to the bike/sunglass black iridium, so wouldn’t mind hearing any real world opinions.

Am after an all rounder to cope with (almost) all weather conditions. If it’s really chucking down I have an old pair of cheapo persimmon lens Oakleys I’ll be using. Am currently looking at Crowbar or Splice, so any opinion there would help as well. Oh, and by the way, I’ll only buy Oakley, so thanks but no thanks for any alternative brand suggestions!

Houns

I’ve not used it but it’s black iridium on a persimmon base so should help with contrast. Oakley recommend it for medium to bright light so perhaps not the best for when it’s foul (but as you say you have glasses for then)

CountZero

I have a recollection that they used to do a double-layer goggle lens with Black Iridium on the outside and Persimmon on the inside to block bright light but increase the contrast when it’s bright overcast.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, folks. It is indeed a double lens, with the Persimmon base. Just wanted to know if anyone had used it in a variety of snow/sun conditions. I’m fine with the Persimmon for a steaming whiteout, but can’t say it’s something I’d use in any form of brighter light.

jimmy

I have a black iridium crowbar (i think) goggle. It was pricey when I bought it but it is ace. Don’t think its as dark as bike black iridium lenses, but I wear it in all conditions from flat to sunny to dusk and its been very good indeed. Splash it.

depth-junkie
    Free Member

I have used oakley A-Frame goggles with black iridium lens for sunny/midium light days and Hi-viz yellow lens for flat/low light days for the last few seasons. I like the black iridium lens especialy for really bright clear days. But in truth it’s the hi viz yellow lens that get’s the most use as more often than not you get more flat light days than bluebird days in the mountains.

I have just got back from a week in ST Anton today, i used the black iridium lens for 2 days of skiing compared to 5 days skiing with the hi-viz yellow.

The black iridium looks cool though. You just need enough sun/light for it to be of proper use. Saying that the hi-viz yellow is a great looking lens as it too has a iridium coating giving the yellow lens a blue film tint to it in the light.And over the last few years the hi viz has seen more use.

Black iridium

hi viz yellow

P.S did i tell you how good a week we had 😆 well we had 2 days of good weather, other than that the weather in the alps at the min is changeable to say the least with very warm temps +3 to 6c and heavy rain down as far 2000m.

one of the better days

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, DJ, just the sort of info I was after!

Looks a terrible trip….. 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Snow goggle advice please – Oakley Black Iridium’ is closed to new replies.