Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Snow chains on alloy wheels???? No no????
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Also and this is genuine, what you reckon on an impreza, it’s 4 wheel drive but do you have to shell out for 4!!

NZCol

Nah you can do fronts only. Have used chains on mine a lot previously and also on all 4 but they will probably mark your wheels.

seanodav
    Free Member

Maybe try these, they dont look as harsh as chains. can use them on any sized wheel as well which may be handy.
    http://www.outdoorbits.com/jeko-universal-snow-belts-p-775.html

NZCol

Actually only correction I will make is if it’s an Sti and you have for some special reason adjusted the electronic diff so it’s 20/80 then put them on the back obviously.

TheFlyingOx

Cheapo steel wheels + winter tyres > snowchains on alloys.

Macavity
    Free Member

Chains on all driving wheels. Permanent 4 wheel-drive, then chains on all 4 wheels.

anc
    Free Member

Yes defo not on just 2 wheels you’ll kill the diff. 😯
    My sti is fine in the snow but I’ve just put new tyres on it and the deep tread makes a big difference. Only real issue I have is clearance, the prodrive suspension lowers it and turns the sti splitter into a bit of a snowplough.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Wheel damage should not be an issue as the chain should barely touch the wheel. All the contact area is on the tyre.

maccruiskeen

I wonder how much time you’d spend lying in the snow getting twenty of those universal snow belts fitted to all four wheels – only to have to take them all off when you reach the first bit of gritted road (unless you typically enjoy driving on 50p shaped wheels).

tankslapper
    Free Member

Ecky-Thump – Member
    Wheel damage should not be an issue as the chain should barely touch the wheel. All the contact area is on the tyre.

+1 My chains sit [list]off[/list] the wheels

You could try tyre socks?

sam_underhill

Maggi Trak chains FTW. piece of cake to fit, they don’t go round the back of the wheel and foul the suspension and the sport version is thin enough to fit between the tyre and arch on most cars.

rootes1

could be worse..

you could fit chains to the wrong end..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Snow chains on alloy wheels???? No no????’ is closed to new replies.