Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Snorkel masks, can anyone recommend one please
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

One for me, one for my daughter.

We’re off on hols over Christmas and hoping to do a bit of snorkelling. Got snorkels but no masks.

Well only be mincing around in the sea, nothing too serious, weather permitting of course.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Ideally get to a shop and try some on. Fit is the main thing

WillH

^ what he said. Try some on in a shop. Put the strap round to the front of the mask, and push the mask against your face. Inhale through your nose, the mask should ‘suck’ to your face, and will stay there without you using your hands, while you turn your head, look down etc. If you can’t maintain the vacuum and it falls off, it doesn’t fit and will likely leak when you’re in the water.

After that, pick one that suits your budget, feels like it has a good viewing angle (i.e. you don’t feel like the frame is taking up too much of the view, is a nice colour, etc.

scubashark
    Free Member

As above for fit but once you have got one clean the inside of mask with a small amount of toothpaste to remove the coating on the glass or the mask will keep fogging up.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I got a mask & snorkel in Spain that cost 18 Euros in a ‘kit’. Works fine!

edhornby

because everyone’s face is a different shape, we all fit masks differently so try them out – decathlon have loads

put the mask on your face without the strap on your head, suck in with your nose and it should sit on comfortably

shaving improves the seal

the only bit of advice I remember is that guys with broken noses should avoid tusa pano geo because the plastic frame presses on your nose bridge and causes bruising…

durhambiker
    Free Member

I started out with Decathlon masks, as it was on a trip to France when I was in the Cubs that I took up snorkelling, and I had my first experience of Decathlon. Good kit at good prices. Currently using an Apeks Quadra Tech which fits me well and has good visibility to the sides

mogrim

If all you’re doing is snorkeling Decathlon stuff is fine – but as mentioned above fit is the most important thing. It’s worth getting some fins (flippers) too, while you’re at it.

globalti
    Free Member

Decathlon for us as well, good kit, fits well, good price.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Snorkel masks, can anyone recommend one please’ is closed to new replies.