Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Smudge's XML Light
  • StuF

Anything I need to know before pressing the buy button?

Are they ok to use as a head touch whilst running?

Thanks in advance

z1ppy

Anything I need to know
    He’s a great guy and it’s a great light? Really he is & it is.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Z1ppy + 1

ElShalimo

Anyone had one for a long time and done a review of it? Or can give us the pros & cons?
    I’m very tempted to get one. Not been night riding before but being a tightarse I wanna spend as little as possible

derek_starship
    Free Member

How can you be a tight arse when you’d be buying for YOU? I’ve had one for about six weeks and am very pleased with it. Good battery pack and charger and I’m v happy with the xml light unit. Go for it or you’ll bump into stuff on your first night ride.

z1ppy

I’d had a headunit from Smudge since June (already had a battery), and have been running it every wednesday night since the light faded. I’ve not had any issue with it whilst running it all that time & have ridden in the pouring rain at least once, again without issue.

The only ‘con’ that can be leveled at the XML type light is that they are quite a focused central spot. I don’t believe Smudges is one of the worst to suffer from this, but it is noticable. The fact that it has a massive “throw” (how far you can “see” with it), far and above any XPG LED light, which I believe is a massive “Pro” for it. The only alternative I see is the £89 4x XPG unit, which put out a hugh amount of floody light, but simply don’t have the throw (punch) of the XML’s.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

got a link?

z1ppy
    Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thangyouverymuch

BandySteve
    Free Member

z1ppy thanks for the summary – I had wondered about how focussed they might be. I’m struggling to decide between this and a four xpg type such as the Bikeray IV. It strikes me that for a bar mounted light the 4 xpg’s might be a better bet.
    I’m currently using an old 35W Halogen and 1.6kg (!) lead acid battery plus an older Joystick. Both on my bonce but keen to try a bar mount out.
    Anyone any idea how the Smudge & 4 XPG compare to a Halogen? Does anyone use these anymore? Would the Joystick on the head add anything to these two newer lights or be completely lost?

Sorry for the hijack StuF.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how much for the head unit alone?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how does it differ from the same on deal extreme?

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got a Smudge XM-L head unit (also already had a battery) and it’s excellent. I use it as a helmet light and it performs that function brilliantly.

It was usually paired with a Triple XPG light on the bars which has loads of flood but lacked the throw to light far enough up the trail. Now using a Twin XM-L U2 on the bars and it’s a proper beast. Can’t wait to ride with my mates next, they’ll hate me! The combination of the 2 lights is astonishingly bright.

snotrag

Very happy – works best as a head torch, helmet mount is a bit basic but works fine with the mount hard mounted to my lid with zip ties. #

Best bit is burn times, seems to be working for longer than i expected. Battery pack and little pouch are neat.

Beam has a tightly concentrated spot area but a secondary ‘spread’ of light thats just about the right shape.

I’m very pleased, my only bug is the high-med-low-flash-OFF switching.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I got one from Smudge about 4 weeks ago and it is superb for the money. I have a Trout Lib3 on the bars and the xml on my helmet and the amount of light is superb. I wanted quite a spotty light on the helmet and the xml does this perfectly, but also has a good amount of spill around the central spot.

The battery is lasting well, after a 1.5 hr ride on med/high it only takes 30 min to get back to fully charged, so can’t have used a lot of the battery.

One thing to note if you want to use it for running/walking is that the cable is quite short and will not stretch from a belt mounted battery pack to a head mounted light. Mine only just reached from my rucksack top pocket to my helmet mounted light unit. If you ask nicely then Smudge can probably make you an extension lead to be able to use it with a belt mounted battery.

Other thing to note is that flashing mode is on full power and as such is not really usable on the road unless you want to cause a few crashes 😉 Would be superb as an emergency signal though.

A very good light for the money

snotrag

To add to that – I find that the cable length is plenty to run from my trouser pocket, up the inside of my jacket, out my collat, up the back of my helmet and through to the light on the front.

Maybe I’m shorter than you, or maybe theres some variation in cable length!?

smudge
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback and positive comments.

Yes I know the light beam is a little concentrated and also the bug about switching between the modes, yes it annoys me to.

But for the price I am buying this as an off the shelf light. I can have the switch modes changed no problem and maybe 2 lenses to choose from but it would then increase the price of the light and new boxes to show the changes and then it would not be nearer the £100 per light?

But then theres a few you have emailed me and like the light settings – commuters, so I cant please everyone, i’d like too but not possible in this moment of time.

BUT I am in the process of a new light – New light head shape so I dont keep getting emails asking me if its a DX/magicshine light I am selling. This might well have new settings. But please dont start emailing me about it just yet as its at least a month away… Nice Christmas pressie 😉

TimP
    Free Member

StuF
    The helmet mount is a velcro type not one of the elastic ones you see on the DX lights so might be worth thinking about how you are going to head mount if you are running not riding (unless you run with a helmet?!)

smudge
    Free Member

No problem, Email me if you would prefer the elasticated light mount to the velcro version.
    OR, better still (to StuF)I can send you both so you have both options covered.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how much for a head unit only please?

smudge
    Free Member

Hi Cruz,
    Please email me personally otherwise I will have loads of boxes with the head units missing out of them!
    Besides like I have said before they are NOT DX or Magicshine lights and the connectors are slightly diferent and not compatible so they would need a new lead putting onto it.

J273
    Free Member

Really tempted with one of these but also have my eye on the Magicshine 872.

Is the MJ worth the extra over the smudge?

Trekster

BUT I am in the process of a new light – New light head shape so I dont keep getting emails asking me if its a DX/magicshine light I am selling. This might well have new settings. But please dont start emailing me about it just yet as its at least a month away… Nice Christmas pressie

Intended ordering one tomorrow am!!
    Should I wait??
    How much different??

smudge
    Free Member

I know I shouldnt of said anything!

I’m really in the ‘I want a light that can do this’ stage with the supplier and getting questions back and costs for the mods depending on the volume bought.

I am trying to sell a relatively cheap light for newbies to nightriding / on a budget.
    As the questions get asked the prices go up as volume isnt high enough to justify modifying their standard light, I cant win really. But i’m giving it a go all the same. I will probably sell the 2 lights along side eachother. But a few months away atleast yet.

BUT Performance wise they will never match the Troutlights, Luminouslights, Liteoptions, to name a few of this world.

BandySteve
    Free Member

Thanks for the helpful comments all.
    I’ve plumped for a 4 xpg – it’s the spread I want to try. We’ll see – I may come back to a smudge light for the helmet in the future…

Steve

Rockape
    Free Member

I recently bought one of these lights for my first ever adventure into night riding. And I think its brilliant for the money it’s bright and lights up the trail very well. Smudge packs them up and sends them out really quick fab service. After I had purchased mine two of my mates have seen how good they were and purchased. I am even thinking of getting one for my helmet now.

althepal

Used my smudge light last night for the first time in anger.. And for the money it seems excellent to me. Yes, it is a bit spotty, and, yes, it is a bit more than the dx one but its still a great light. I didnt mind paying a bit more for some reassurance and better warranty and I can put up with the spotty nature of it.
    Waiting on a XML torch to see what the beams like on that. Hoping it’s more floody so will mount that on the bars and use my smudgelight for the helmet which should be perfect..

Trekster

smudge – Member
    I know I shouldnt of said anything!

Tis OK, have just placed my order 😆

rusty90
    Free Member

Used mine for the first time last night as well and very impressed. It’s a bit spotty, but I didn’t find that a problem in practice. It lit up the track in front and the ebay 1000 lumen torch velcroed on the helmet picked out the rest. Much more confident about night riding now and struggling to understand how there can be lights on the market at £250 odd.

Lifer
    Free Member

More positive here, quick delivery and have found it great on the road bike (bar mounted). Yet to take if off road or have it above ‘low’ 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sorry to high jack but anyone know if smudge is still making batteries? I’ve sent a couple of emails to two addresses I have for him in the past month but not got a response.

smudge
    Free Member

Yes Gary,

Sorry not seen any emails from you? are you still using my old AOL ones, if so please email me on the addy in the profile or contact me through facebook

Thanks

smudge
    Free Member

Gary,
    Found it 😉 you now have a reply

Trekster

Mine is stuck in the post office along with my Merlin delivery. I was not at home on Sat morning 🙄 Out biking with the kids club who might be looking for some lights once we get our night riding module assessment organised 😆
    Will be collected tomorrow,charged up and ready for Thurs nights ride at Mabie followed by macaroni & cheese in the Shed cafe beside the roaring log burner 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

Cheers Smudge.

Trekster

Smudge.If you get a rush of light sales from the Dumfries area I will happily accept commission 😉
    When I bought my Fenix quite a few of my mates bought them after me 🙄 Must have been a good dozen or more

smudge
    Free Member

Hi trekster. Send me an email and I’ll see what I can do for you. 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Smudge's XML Light’ is closed to new replies.