Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Smart Watch – do they…
  • stoofus
    Free Member

…Do a smart watch that is…

1) Round, like a watch
    2) Waterproof, so I can track pool swims
    3) Smart enough to wear at work
    4) Does notifications
    5) isn’t whop-off massive?

Jamie
    Free Member

1-4 = Garmin Fenix 3 or the incoming 5

/

5 = Garmin Fenix 5X (for laydeez so a bit smaller)

Note: Garmin 5 is out inl Quarter 1, so anytime between now and a couple of months. I would say the regular 5 is worth the size increase over the 5S for the considerably longer battery life (9days v 2 weeks in watch/HR mode).

Fenix 5 hands-on.

Fenix 3HR review.

Cougar

Waterproof to swimming levels is a tall ask. Other than that, I’ll recommend what I have as it ticks all your other boxes:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Stainless-Classic-Smartwatch-Leather/dp/B017XDOBJW

Best smartwatch on the market IMHO. That last Garmin is lovely though.

allthegear
    Free Member

My Apple Watch is

1/ no
    2/ yes
    3/ yes, with the right strap (Milanese Loop?)
    4/ yes
    5/ yes – two sizes. Mine is the small

Battery is surprisingly good, too. Three days as a smart watch and then another couple in “watch only” mode

The subtle way it lets me start a maps route on my phone then put that aaay and get taps on my wrist telling me where to turn as I wander through a city is wirth it alone. It’s magic.

Rachel

prawny

Love my Garmin FR235, not a smart watch as such, but looks watchy, will track swimming with a free app battery last a week easy.

If I’d had the money I’d get a 735xt but it was an extra £100.

I wear mine to work, no one comments and marks me out as one of them subtley.

martymac

I have a 735 xt, in watch only mode it lasts weeks, when i was off on the sick for 6 weeks last year it had only went down to 25% after 4 weeks.
    It was a little pricey, but tbh not bad compared to some g shocks.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Love my Fenix3 HR.
    Connect App is good to.
    Auto Synchs after every ride.
    Logs my strokes when I’m paddle boarding.
    Tells me altitude and direction when I’m flying.
    You can change the face to suit your mood/taste/occasion.

Waterproof, rugged and comfortable.

prawny

I’d love a Fenix but they’re just a bit thick for me. I struggle to get my shirt sleeve over my 235.

Might switch to cuff links so I can get one…

mmannerr

Withings watches, especially Steel HR should tick all boxes in OP’s post. Just got one for the missus, after two days no complaints yet.
    There is some sort of swimming tracking but it is probably way more simplified version of what Garmin & Polar do.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Got a Garmin Vivoactive HR a few weeks back, does all you ask, but some thinks it looks like a wrist tag for disorderly yoof. 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Got a Garmin Vivoactive HR a few weeks back, does all you ask, but some thinks it looks like a wrist tag for disorderly yoof.

I also have one, and am very happy with it, but….

1) Round, like a watch

I forgot to add the Fenix Chronos. So if you’re feeling especially minted….yours for £900-£1200.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/utFMs35.jpg[/img]

Duc
    Free Member

You’ve just descrinbed A fenix OP. new one looks even better as the 3 is quite think and heavy

mogrim

I’ve got a Fenix 3, as noted above it pretty much covers all of the requirements. It is a bit on the big side, not massive but certainly not small. Obviously it’s a bit plasticy but as an IT worker that’s not a deal breaker 🙂

I’d love a Fenix but they’re just a bit thick for me. I struggle to get my shirt sleeve over my 235.

Yeah, I tend to undo the buttons on my shirt sleeve to make it easier to wear…

mogrim

3 is quite think and heavy

Thick maybe, but it’s not that heavy. If I’m wearing a t-shirt I don’t notice it, with a shirt on you might notice it catching on the cuff.

Duc
    Free Member

Its heavier than my normal metal cased watch !

I quite like the Samsung Gear S3 – Classic, or Frontier

Unfortunately, only IP68 though

Toasty

Fenix 3 here again, love it. Use it to track steps and things every day, notifications and the odd bike ride. The new ones look crazy expensive which is a shame.

In the past I’ve owned a Samsung Gear Live and Pebble Time, both felt very flawed in their own ways. I really couldn’t go back to something like the Gear of Apple watch with a sub 1 day battery life.

Something like a Garmin 735XT sounds like it would check everything off your list?

Jamie
    Free Member

The Fenix 3 should see it’s price given a hefty kick to the nuts once the 5 is released.

But then saying that, the OP did the usual OP thing of not giving a budget 😉

baldiebenty
    Free Member

I got the Fenix 3 for XMas, despite the 5 being announced only a couple of weeks later I still think it’s great.

Can’t say I swim but it is waterproof and does a great job of tracking workouts, runs and MTB rides and syncing with Strava, Charged it on Saturday night and 5 days with 1 morning on the MTB, 1 run & 4 workouts later it’s still on 45% battery.

Price will probably drop now too with the 5 coming.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Got a Garmin Vivoactive HR a few weeks back, does all you ask, but some thinks it looks like a wrist tag for disorderly yoof.

Same here – it’s a superb bit of kit for everything except looking good, especially as I only paid £70 for mine. I actually do wear it as an everyday watch – so many folks wear Garmins or Fitbits for that now it’s not an issue, although it does mean my other watches are getting neglected.

Jamie
    Free Member

especially as I only paid £70 for mine.

Go on…

simon_g

Likewise, Vivoactive has been my everyday watch for months. Doesn’t look too bad, “smart” enough (although I’ve stopped bothering with notifications), battery lasts ages for this sort of thing.

Fenix 5 looks brilliant but 😯 at the price.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Go on…

Someone had just listed it on Ebay with a £70 buy-it-now and I was fortunate to see it before anyone else.

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s a great price, even secondhand, for the HR. Well done.

mogrim

Its heavier than my normal metal cased watch !

Is it? Doesn’t feel heavy, it’s probably your malnourished northern arms, down south we’re better fed and can manage the weight 🙂

stoofus
    Free Member

But then saying that, the OP did the usual OP thing of not giving a budget

Since I realised how much of a difficult task it was finding one, I left it open. Not fenix chronos prices tho. The medium fenix 5 looks ace but maybe too much. Fenix 3 looks good but but I’m concerned about size – any one got any pics of it on normal size wrists? If they exist…

prawny

I think face wise the Fenix is fine and I’m not a fan of big watches. It’s the depth that put me off (and the extra £170)

stoofus
    Free Member

Anyone got a suunto? That Spartan looks lovely.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got an iWatch S2 for christmas. I wasn’t keen on the rectangular shape of the face initially but from a functional point of view it works really well and the corners of the square face are able to display useful info from other apps like weather apps, stocks and shares alternative timezones, fitness tracking, anything from the apps. Not sure how you’d squeeze all that into a round face without making it a monstrous diameter.

For me its a day to day watch and not a dress watch so not fussed about it looking too smart. Its alot lighter and more comfy to wear on a day to day basis than my proper watch.

Can understand why people don’t like it. I wouldn’t have bought one for myself (or any smart watch for that matter) but am happy to receive as a Christmas pressie. It works well and does the biz.

stoofus
    Free Member

I’d have the Apple watch s2 but on bloody android!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tag heur smart watch to tick many stw boxes.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

The Apps on my Fenix3HR are fun too. I use a windsurf one to track my sailing and top speed when I’m being an idiot out on the water.
    You can track how many beers you’ve earned when you’re out on a ride.

You can also change the strap and face so it looks like a dress watch for evening activities if you like too.

Possibly all things to all people…

…if you can get over the size issue that some people have.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@stoofus

The Spartan has dreadful reviews. Avoid! Sad as my old Ambits were great.

Another Fenix3 owner here. A great watch. Think the 5 can be smaller sized….

I’ve just come across this which seems too tick the boxes

Nixon The Mission

blader1611
    Free Member

Just seen a picture of the Fenix 3 being worn and oh my god it instantly reminded me of flava flav. I suppose it makes it easier to read if the watch happens to be in a different post code.

BadlyWiredDog

Does the latest Fenix still burn through its battery life if you bluetooth it to your smartphone? I had an original Fenix with the software upgrade to work as a smart watch, but used with the phone, the battery lasted about 20 minutes.

Personally I’d get whatever Tom Tom watch is currently half price on Sport Pursuit and wear a normal watch the rest of the time.

Jamie
    Free Member

Does the latest Fenix still burn through its battery life if you bluetooth it to your smartphone?

No.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My Fenix lasts weeks & the BT is always linked to my phone.

I like the look of the ‘girls’ version of the new 5. I have really skinny wrists, so the Fenix 3 totally dominates mt arm – the smaller one looks much better.

Thankfully I have friend who works for Garmin, their F&F deals are bonkers cheap, so thats a new watch sorted when they arrive!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Smart Watch – do they…’ is closed to new replies.