Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Small Chevrolet`s ….. talk to me about them ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

My Nissan`s finally died so looking at scrapping it, just looking through the trader at chevys, don’t need anything big any more …. , kalos or lacetti hatch back …. maybe even a matiz at a push !
    Needs to be cheap as finances stretched at the mo and im doing 200 miles a week commute !

jam-bo

It’s a daewoo.

They are cheap for a reason.

Some of the worst cars I’ve ever been in.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

The Chevrolet Spark is the worst car I have ever driven. A crime against humanity.

Nobby

What Jam bo says.

They are Daewoos which, in turn, tended to be old technology bought in from other manufacturers.

john_drummer
    Free Member

not sure if an old daewoo is up to 200 miles/week

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chevrolet’s what?

Kuco

I had a small Chevrolet as a courtesy car and hated it, it was awful.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Look at hyundai i10s

Horrible place to be but much much much more resilliant than a chevrolet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And thats from someone who owned and hated a hyundai for 3 years.

Had a chevy for a hire car for 2 weeks and hated it more in that short period.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had a garage replacement car that was a Chevrolet Spark. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. cheap, chearful, not much power but it sitll worked fine on the motorway. It really isn’t a “crime against humanity” its a cheap tool to get you from A to B and on that basis worked fine.

TatWink
    Free Member

“The Chevrolet Spark is the worst car I have ever driven. A crime against humanity.”

Brilliant!!!

And all you need to know.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I once had a hire Matiz with 200 or so miles on the clock. It was a superb tool for twisty roads, a local in a hot hatch trying to impress his girlfriend could not get past over Dava moor and I had to ease off as I did not know the road. Like a motorised rollerskate.

Obviously optimistic, but the speedo was well over 90 at one point on a downhill dual carrriageway. Only did 45 to the gallon though!

piemonster

Horrible cars, total and utter sh!t

scuzz
    Free Member

Uncomfortable to sleep in. Noisy suspension. Better brakes than a late 90s Ford Ka, comically underpowered. Nothing amazing.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

thanks for the comments 🙂 …… maybe im better looking at an older plate corsa or micra then ….. just need something to get me out the shit for a few months !!

D0NK

Matiz driver here 🙂
    Used to be the wife’s car but now our only car. Cheap, easy to drive, piece of piss to park and as long as you’re not carrying too much weight or going up a steep hill (or a petrol head) it’ll make good reasonable progress. Can get 2 bikes and riders and gear in there comfortably. I’ve even done a few 3 hour motorway slogs in it, but it’s a runaround not a motorway cruiser, 200 miles a day* may get a bit much. Ours is a 800cc version the 1L will presumably be better on the motorways.

End of the day it’s a car it gets you places you need to go to, ours has been reliable too.

*doh just reread the op, 200 a week? No problems.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

my commute is 200 miles a week , not daily !!!

D0NK

Yeah, my mistake
    You can even fit a sofa in the back 😉

sharkattack

this thread brings back horrible memories of a Chevrolet Spark rental car that we used to go camping.
    absolutely hateful thing. noisy, plastic, rattly, gutless, the absolute cheapest of the cheap. not sure how much they are new but i bet there’s a whole universe of far superior used cars available.

matt_outandabout

Pffft, sofa? I can get a canoe in a Yaris 8)

R0013778 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

(Cheap, small car BTW – Yaris D4D – ours is worth about £1k, has 70k on the clock, two owners from new (us and my dad), just went through MOT and needed something for the first time ever – a new bulb for the numberplate. It does 50-60mpg no matter how I drive it, costs £30 to tax a year, cheap to service and I changed the pads and discs in 40mins, cost of £45 parts…ACE)

hora
    Free Member

So many many small cars out there. Cheap and in the case of the Spark hideous. Dont be a tight arse.

knottie8
    Free Member

I process warranty claims on Chevy cars and to be fair I dont process many. one claim a month if im lucky .Avoid the Matiz three cylinder on a 59ish plate though as engine valves have been known to burn and cause misfires. Worryingly after repair the same seems to happen again a few thousand miles later. They no longer use old Vauxhall parts but now Chevy rebadge with vauxhall . Vauxhall using Chevy !

hora
    Free Member

Do you work for Chevy? If not they aint that popular so you wouldnt see that many 😉

I drive a hugely economical Citroen C1 and get on average 40.

My next car will be a T5 S60 as I wont have to rev it to death to hit just 5mpg less…

br
    Free Member

and im doing 200 miles a week commute !

And the ! is for what exactly – now 200 miles a day would be worthy of an exclamation.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

And the ! is for what exactly – now 200 miles a day would be worthy of an exclamation.

Why ? ….. cus I thought it deserved it ok 🙂

BoardinBob

Been running a Daewoo Tacuma as a cheap bike/ dog/ snowboard wagon for the last 4 years. Without exception, the most reliable car I’ve ever owned.

Cheap, basic, reliable motoring.

rocketman
    Free Member

maybe even a matiz at a push

aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

peterfile
    Free Member

I always get REALLY confused when I see someone driving something like a brand new Chevvy Matiz.

What thought processes do you need to have removed in order to want that more than any other car in your budget?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Now that this thread has rightly disabused you of your Chevrolet musings, you’ll be wondering what you *should* buy.

And the answer is a Kia, or a Hyundai.

Whatever one of those you can afford/is most suitable.

I’m not familiar with the model names but these cars are in a sweet spot right now: the manufacturers are going for quality of design and build, but have not been doing it long enough yet to add any premium to the asking price.

BoardinBob

I always get REALLY confused when I see someone driving something like a brand new Chevvy Matiz.

The Matiz is gone now, but I’ve seen far worse cars than the Spark

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/cars/spark/gallery/interior.html

cheshirecat
    Free Member

The missus has a Hyundai i10. I wanted to hate it, but she made me test drive it on the motorway before she bought it, and it’s fine – even quite fun to drive. decent radio (with iPod connections), aircon etc.

£7500 brand new, seemed like a bargain.

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Going back to the Matiz, I had one for quite a while and really liked it! I easily used to do over 200 miles a week in mine. It’s perfectly reasonable, as long as you don’t mind taking your time! It’s was a resiliant little bugger too. I accidently drove mine into my house and also into my neighbours car and it was fine, bar a little scratch (which is more than could be said for my neighbour’s Ford Focus!)! Mine was roughly about eight years old when I had it and I did about 20k miles in about a year, including a few long distance Norfolk to Wales biking trips (loaded up with two bikes, two big kit bags and two reasonable sized adults!). In all that time, I never had any problems with it. The only time it went to the garage was when I accidently broke the windscreen wiper lever off! Not sure I’d buy another, but for something cheap and cheerful, it’s not too bad!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Small Chevrolet`s ….. talk to me about them ?’ is closed to new replies.