Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sliding dropouts – how likes 'em?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I am considering a frame with Paragon type sliders.

I've never owned a bike with sliding dropouts and have heard they can be problematic. What's the view on them?

Cheers

firestarter
    Free Member

ive used sliding ones and ebb i think ebb is better if running disc on the rear. With ebb once set up all you need to do is tighten it up once in a while to keep chain nice and tight. And i never had the creak problem some report on my two ebb bikes. Ive also had two sliding ones first had rear v brake so wasnt a problem but new one has disc and if i want the rear wheel out i have to remove the caliper too which is a pain as you have to reset the brake each time . Not a real big problem unless its dark and wet and muddy lol. Sliding is lighter tho i think as my ebb cups were lumps of stainless steel 🙂

bananaworld
    Free Member

if i want the rear wheel out i have to remove the caliper too

Are you perhaps talking about track ends rather than sliding dropouts…? Trackends and discs is certainly a PITA, unless the caliper mounts on the chainstay, á la On-One. Sliding dropouts themselves don't have this problem: the wheel goes in and out very easily as the dropuouots are vertical.

I've had two frames with sliding dropouts: Orange P7 and an older Kona Unit. Both of them slipped and royally got on my tits so I now have three different bikes with three different EBBs. EBBs are the future.

I can see though that sliding dropouts with bolts/chaintugs/something else to prevent forward slippage on the driveside (and make evenly adjusting the dropouts easier) could be a good solution.

singlespeedstu

If they're Paragon sliders you'll have no problem with them.

You going to man up and ride singlespeed then mate?

funkynick

Problematic in what sense?

I have them on my singlespeed and they work just fine…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Sliding dropouts should be fine if they're well made. EBB should be too but can be a PITA if you're very sensitive to your seat height as you'll have to move the seat up or down a litle bit every time you adjust the chain.

firestarter
    Free Member

perhaps i am banana its early after all lol karate monkey is one im meaning

GaryLake
    Free Member

Trackends and discs is certainly a PITA, unless the caliper mounts on the chainstay

I'm confused. My Genesis has disc and trackends and they're not a PITA with regard to the brakes – just slots right in.

The track end screws on the otherhand!

epicyclo

Sliding dropouts when used with disks sometimes have a problem. The disk side dropout can slide forward under braking pressure if it is not clamped down properly.

I have had this problem with On-One, easily fixed by reversing the handy adjuster, and on a Voodoo, which was easily fixed by using thicker washers under the bolts.

In other words not a real problem, but it catches you out the first time it happens.

I've just got a Kona frame with sliders, so we'll see how long that takes 🙂

bananaworld
    Free Member

My Genesis has disc and trackends and they're not a PITA with regard to the brakes

Hairy muff. I should have been more specific and said that SOME trackend and disc mount combos are a pittabread and a half – it all depends on where the mount is relative to where the axle lives, I guess.

The fact that the caliper needs its position adjusting if you change the wheel position (chain tension, tyre swap) also puts me off, despite their simplicity.

BUT, back to the original post: if you get ACTUAL Paragon dropouts you're laughing. Otherwise, inspect them closely and don't be shy with the anti-sieze.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I've heard the sliders can creak and slip.

The Paragon's I'm looking at are on the Nimble 29er

Jason
    Free Member

Never had any problems with my Paragon sliding drop-outs. I have been using them for over two years.

Are you sure they are Paragon drop outs on that frame? They don't look like the ones on my bike.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here's a close up

woodsman
    Free Member

I'm thinking of Paragon sliding dropouts on my custom frame of the future – can they take small jumps without slipping.?

😯

llama

I've got these on my voodoo

No slips and I don't see how they are going to slip. As above, there are chain tugs (that are acually pushing – chain pushes?) so no way they are going to slip on either side. And they are all ti.

singlespeedstu

My Paragon sliders have had two and a half years of singlespeed gear mashing and have never slipped once.

If you look at the design either the bolt or the frame would have to break for them to slip.

bonzodog
    Free Member

I had them on my SS Inbred 29er and thought they were dead simple to pop the rear wheel out. My SS Ti 29er with slot dropouts is much more of a faff (imo).

Slideys everytime.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

slideys every time. mine slip ocasionally in one of my bikes, but its not a huge problem, the others never slip, the others being paragon.

track ends ime (of 3 diff bikes) are a total PITA and, for me, are a deal breaker, i'll not be using them again.

never used EBB, but would be happy to.

you'll have no problems.

woodsman
    Free Member

Paragon it is! 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sliding dropouts – how likes 'em?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM