Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Slated parts/components that you love..
  • theocb
    Free Member

Always lot’s of opinions around on what is best/worst depending on what the latest trends are.. do you have a few ‘dirty secrets’ on your bike?

I have a set of 2007 Manitou Nixons that are the best forks in the whole UNIVERSE or maybe just in my village, or perhaps just in my house 😳 I ended up buying a spare set when Manitou were falling apart at the seams (and prices to match :0).. Still nothing that beats them IMO!

You get the picture.. what parts do you rate that the biking world frown upon?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Original Crank Bros Mallets. I had a pair that lasted seven years before the axle went…I just love them, nothing else I’ve used comes close. Shame the axles are made of cheese.

MoreCashThanDash

Rapid Rise rear mech – never causes me grief

_tom_
    Free Member

Superstar components in general. Everything I’ve had from them has been spot on.

jamiep
    Free Member

Superstar wheels

AD

Pace forks

PiknMix
    Free Member

My new (to me) Marin, its a beut

br
    Free Member

XTR drivetrain, it works, and works well.

njee20
    Free Member

But who slates XTR 😕

Old style Egg Beaters.

Rscott
    Free Member

Hayes nines

mmel
    Free Member

+1 for rapid rise, nothing beats being able to shift whilst putting the power down. It’s the sole reason I’ve not gone 10 speed.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

None myself but my freind swears by his 24″ frame/halo rims and creaky old ti flight 😀

loum
    Free Member

Crank brothers joplin post (touch wood)

keavo
    Free Member

agree on the manitou forks. except for a sherman that i had that were dodgy. currently use minute and tower 29ers which are excellent.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Pace 303 Frame and Pace FOrks.
    Also, sold on a bike, but LOVED dual control flappy paddle style levers.

Euro
    Free Member

Avid juicy 3 brakes don’t seem to get much love, but i really liked mine. I have a thing for poor brakes though, as they only slow me a little – which is kinda what i want.

Also the Superstar items (wheels, pedals, chain device) have worked well.

anotherstan
    Free Member

on ones, i love em.
    best frames money can buy (imo)

Lummox

orange five 😉

fatboyjon

As above, flappy fire shifters on a rapid rise rear mech. Just works perfectly for me and I’ve never struggled with shifting accidently whilst braking.

Bazz

Avid Elixr’s, Shimano hubs, Crank Bros. pedals, Sram 9 speed drivetrains.

smiff
    Free Member

yeah Avid Elixirs are superb, run two sets (2 years, and 4 years), never let me down.
    as for the Joplin.. someone above got the one that works? :p i just have trouble believing that post could work reliably if used regularly.

Bregante

Avid Elixir’s (apart from changing the pads) and Superstar wheels have both performed admirably on a number of my bikes too. Inner tubes in general. Never seen a need to change to tubeless because I’ve probably only punctured once in the last two years (possibly thanks to Specialized tyres)

_tom_
    Free Member

Avids for me as well. Can be a bit fiddly to bleed but imo better feel and performance than Shimano. I’m close to giving up with my SLX, they’re just overrated and I prefer my old Juicy 5s!

sparkyrhino

+1 for elixir’s got cr’s great stopping power and feel,pads are so easy to change(for me),also superstars am490 wheels,mine have had some real punishment and still run true.and the superlegero hub sounds good(hated the sound at first)

grievoustim
    Free Member

i would have said superstar chain device

but mine cracked on a cold morning ride the other day

still highly likely that it will get repaired/ replaced with the same thing TBH

crazy-legs

Another vote for the Dual Control (flappy paddle) shifters. I use them with a normal-rise mech, can’t stand rapid rise!
    The shifters though are ace.

AlexSimon

+1 for rapid rise
    +1 for Egg Beaters (the simple cheap ones). Everyone else I know have gone back to Shimano, but I’ve just bought my 4th pair for my 4th bike.

Inner tubes

Not so much hated, but fallen out of favour, I like my Nokon cables.

scaredypants

rapid rise here too – only on my road bike though; I’m not a **** pervert !

Oh, gripshift too – OK, I admit, LHS only and as I’m giving 1×10 a go just now it’s not on the bike but I think it’s great

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hayes Strokers…They’re ugly and not that light, but they’re very powerful and easy to modulate. They’re doing a sterling job on my hardtail.

br
    Free Member

But who slates XTR

Most folk on here, as apparently they’re not ‘worth it’.

andeh

– SRAM x7 and lower 9 speed – Still going, despite the strange angle the cage is bent into
    – Superstar stuff
    – Until recently, Truvativ Hussefelt cranks

roverpig

Keeping up the brake theme (and I hate my Avid Elixir 5s by the way) I still have a lot of love for my old Hope XC4 brakes. They are not that powerful, don’t have any fancy self-adjustment for pad wear and even Hope lovers wouldn’t claim them as one of their finest. But they keep on working, are a doddle to bleed and if they start to rub out on the trail (warped disk, mud etc) I can just twist the dial on the lever to back the pads off a bit. Can’t do that with your fancy self adjusting brakes!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Marzocchi Shiver DC’s.

They’re easily tunable, always plush (as the oil is sat in the bushes and seals, where it should be), and reliable to the point of silliness.

Riding chums have been through umpteen sets of boxxers/40’s etc and the shivers just keep going.

Haven’t seen another set at a race in years – this is good, kids think they’re something fancy and new ‘cos they’ve never seen them before 😀

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve got 2 pairs of manitou minutes, and i love them… none of this silly service every 15 hours bollocks, mine did 2 years before 1st services with no bother whatsoever… no stanchion wear, no scratches, no bother.

light too…

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Superstar wheels, SRAM x5 shifters

emac65
    Free Member

The orginal Giant Trances,still got my 07 one & still love the way it rides…..

scaredypants

kenneththecurtain, I was using a shiver sc til quite recently – lovely

A guy in california stopped by me one time and was raving about how he’d not seen one in the flesh as they were so new and fancy and great

Didn’t want to burst his bubble so just said “thanks”. No idea what fork he was thinking of

munkyboy
    Free Member

Going uphill, Elixirs, inner tubes, narrow bars, water bottles, chocolate as an energy bar, trail centres…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

29ers, 9mm straight steerer tube rigid forks, inner tubes and singlespeed.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Avid Juicy 7’s and Elixir ‘s here too. Lot of haters out there it seems, but I love mine. Also stiff alu trail hardtails, can be lots of fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Slated parts/components that you love..’ is closed to new replies.