Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • sit on top kayak – any experience?
  • scruff9252

I’m slowly ticking off visiting the Scottish Islands (Haswell-Smiths) but there are quite a few small ones too far from the home mooring / with poor anchoraes for the big boat & exploring by calmac not possible.

Contemplating getting a couple of sit on top touring kayaks and using my bikepacking gear to explore with the gf.

Anyone with experience of these? Concerned at lack of bracing you get in a sea kayak, but possibly outweighed by increased stability and easier self rescue ability…

scotroutes

You’ve pretty much nailed it. Also remember that a SOT leaves you much more exposed to the elements, particularly any cold winds.

Having said that, I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler that’s not being used. Make me an offer, collect it from Aviemore and you could try out SOTs at little cost.

scruff9252

I could be interested scotroutes, what prowler is it?

scotroutes

Prowler 13, angler. Comfort seat. Can be fitted with a rudder.

https://flic.kr/p/o49x4F

Lots of pics if you want them

Not been used since I bought a packraft 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Colin, That’s pretty much what I’ve been looking for, can you let me know how much you’re after please? Email in profile, or I’ll email you if you think I’m being cheeky/lazy… 😆

scotroutes

Nobber – I’ll let scruff have first dibs now that I’ve mentioned it here but I’ll PM you anyway.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks buddy.

scruff9252

I’ll pass thanks Colin. Looks great but after breaking open my piggy bank last week to buy a new car, its going to be a winter / Xmas purchase really…

mikertroid
    Free Member

Had a great day on my Bic SOT Kayak around poole harbour the other week with the G/F. Managed to do a lap of Brownsea Island and cover 8 miles in strong winds. Great fun but in exposed seas in strong winds a proper sea canoe might be better..??

andy8442
    Free Member

You can buy straps to brace your knees/legs against for a lot of the SOT, so you can have a bit more control of the roll. Exposure wise, full wetsuit and a good Kag have always worked for me, oh and boots!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I had an OK prowler13 for a few years that was rigged up for fishing, depth sounder, anchor, etc. It was a bit of a slow boat and for touring I’d prefer something faster. But for sitting at anchor or drifting for cod etc it was good.

rkk01
    Free Member

We’ve got a Tarpon 130T (tandem).

Great boat for family days out & exploring – river, estuary, beach… Not done any major coastal / sea kayaking on it, but it’s very stable – been rolled coming in through surf, lol, as the stern lifts and the flared bow sheers off to one side.

We tend to use it as a “safety boat”, with 2 in sit ins and 2 on the Tarpon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘sit on top kayak – any experience?’ is closed to new replies.