Viewing 40 posts - 13,961 through 14,000 (of 21,756 total)
  • Sir! Keir! Starmer!
  • cookeaa

It is curious how effortlessly you repeat the hard right press propaganda.

Perhaps that proves how ingrained it is in our culture now, illustrating the uphill battle Labour now face.
    People quote/reference lots of things they don’t necessarily believe.

nickc

richmtb

I see James “Cleverly” is still fighting the good fight against the scourge of Nominative Determinism

mefty
    Free Member

And hasn’t impacted on his non-dom status.

Any evidence for this weirdo conspiracy theory?

kelvin

Any evidence for this weirdo conspiracy theory?

Any evidence for what you made up?

He’s retained non-dom status. It hasn’t been removed despite legislation changes in 2017. Unless you know something no-one else does. Perhaps a link detailing how, or when, or if Lord Rothermere lost his non-dom status. Just one. You can cite weirdo conspiracy theory websites as sources if you want. Go ahead…

You could also correct Wikipedia if you wanted, rather than save the sharing of your knowledge with us…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_non-domiciled_status_in_the_UK

…get the Former “non-doms” section updated to avoid further confusion.

kerley
    Free Member

No solution then?

Yep, loads of solutions but none that the current political system and party approach would ever put in place as it would mean they would no longer exist.

Until then we are going to be continually living in a tory country as that is what the people (as per the current system) want more than anything else.

mefty
    Free Member

Well it is widely documented he lives in the UK and has done for many years which makes him resident here for tax purposes for a long period certainly before his father’s death in 1998. If one is resident for more than 15 out of 20 years you are automatically deemed to be domiciled in the UK under the 2017 legislation(S29 F(No2)A 2017). On this basis, absent any evidence to the contrary the natural conclusion is that he is domiciled here. Even the Guardian noted how the Daily Mail didn’t rail against the change in rules despite it impacting their proprietor.

kelvin

He still has non-dom status. No one has ever said that he’s lost it, apart from you. Cite just one source other than your own mind… go ahead… dig as deep into the weirdo conspiracy theory corners if the internet as you want. You concluding that he “should” have lost it, based on your knowledge of the legislature, and your knowledge of his affairs, really doesn’t cut it, sorry.

rone

Yep, loads of solutions but none that the current political system and party approach would ever put in place as it would mean they would no longer exist.

Until then we are going to be continually living in a tory country as that is what the people (as per the current system) want more than anything else.

So never offer an alternative – especially when time eventually takes its toll on the Tories.

Roll over and die then.

We’ve tried a couple of things – we just can’t do it?

mefty
    Free Member

He still has non-dom status. No one has ever said that he’s lost it, apart from you.

Bless

kelvin

Go on, cite one source. Doesn’t have to be a tax expert, or someone close to him… any crank will do. Just so we know there’s more than one person in the world who’s come to the same conclusion.

dazh

Roll over and die then.

Kerley is our resident ‘woe is me’ poster. Nothing will ever be better, we’re doomed to a tory dystopia forever, resistance is futile, we have to accept it etc.. 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be a tax expert

I became a member of the Institute of Taxation in 1988.

kelvin

That’s great, you’ll have sources to hand you can cite then. Go on… just one other person saying he’s lost non-dom status.

kimbers

some proof hes not a non-dom would be easy to show then

argee

I doubt it matters if he’s non-dom or not, he’ll be using tax avoidance and every other avenue available to minimise taxation in any form, it’s no different to any other asset owner, be it dukedoms or media empires.

mefty
    Free Member

some proof hes not a non-dom would be easy to show then

There’s not a register, it is simply an analysis of the law which I have referenced and a broad understanding of his personal circumstances. All long term residents of the UK are now deemed to be domiciled here and have been ever since the 2017 legislation came in.

kelvin

Any link to someone else coming to the same conclusion? Ideally someone with more than a “broad” understanding of his circumstances. But really, any other voice would do. Just cite one…

doris5000

All long term residents of the UK are now deemed to be domiciled here and have been ever since the 2017 legislation came in.

Like Mrs Sunak, who has been living in the UK since 2015?

It would seem that there’s a loophole for billionaires somewhere?

mefty
    Free Member

The Peter Preston article I already linked.

mefty
    Free Member

Like Mrs Sunak, who has been living in the UK since 2015?

Long term is at least 15 years in this context.

dissonance

All that says is he didnt complain. Now what could be a logical reason for him not complaining?
    To date he has declined to comment on his nondom status. Now admittedly there could be a chance he is worried if he does then he would be expected to answer questions about all his other tax affairs but alternatively it is that he still is one.

mefty
    Free Member

He is reluctant to comment on anything, he doesn’t give interviews and he lets his editors get on with it. So the theory that the Daily Mail is having a go at Starmer because of his tax status fails on more than one level, but its a nice comfort blanket.

BillMC

Doesn’t Rothermere live in France?

nickc

and he lets his editors get on with it.

I would imagine his editors have a fairly fundamental grasp of what he’d like to see in his newspapers without having to check back daily.

kelvin

Doesn’t say that is has given up non-dom status. It claims he took a hands off approach to his paper when the 2017 legislation was proposed, and mischaracterised it. Preston was often standing up for newspapers and journalists, of all persuasions. Anyway, the quote…

You might, in other hands, have expected a rampant Mail campaign when the Treasury did away with the non-dom tax status that has served the fourth and third viscounts so well. But no, not a squeak.

Did the Treasury do away with non-dom tax status? No. Have the changes introduced in 2017 resulted in Rothermere losing his non-dom status? 🤷🏻

dissonance

So the theory that the Daily Mail is having a go at Starmer because of his tax status fails on more than one level, but its a nice comfort blanket.

Whilst I would love to take your condescending word for it I notice that you fail to provide any evidence for your claims.

mefty
    Free Member

Blanky

kelvin

I’ve found a Times article from last year that might make the same claim as you… doing some digging behind the firewall…

Speeder

cookeaa
    It seems that if the Great Unwashed Majority are going to vote for anything other than a corrupt bastard with fluffy hair it’s going to be a “sensible” centrist offering from Labour. Present them easily derided “hard-left” policies, fronted by a renegade geography teacher and they’ll just choose the Tory Clown again.

Those determined to drag a “moderate” “Centrist” labour back towards the left are just going to help create a split and in doing so gift the next GE to to the Torys.

Nice to see some sense talked on this thread.

ransos
    Free Member

I became a member of the Institute of Taxation in 1988.

Swoon.

BTW I showed this thread to my wife, who is a Chartered Tax Advisor. She thinks, like Dissonance, that whilst it’s possible he’s lost his non-dom status, this hasn’t been demonstrated by anything you’ve presented so far.

dazh

Present them easily derided “hard-left” policies

What policies would they be then? Seriously, I can’t remember any ‘hard left’ policies in the last two labour manifestos.

Those determined to drag a “moderate” “Centrist” labour back towards the left are just going to help create a split

There already is a split, created by the leadership and the PLP who won’t accept that their members want something different to what they are offering.

binners

I’m a member and I want what they’re offering.

You don’t, but then you’re not a member 😛

In a moment of magnanimous grace I’m prepared for the Sunderland FC supporters club and the S Club 7 fan club to voice opinions that differ to mine as I’m a member of neither, though I would still be of the latter if it wasn’t for the restraining order

dazh

You don’t, but then you’re not a member

I was a member right up to the point where it became obvious that people like myself weren’t welcome. There are around 200k more like me. It doesn’t make much sense to be a member of an organisation which I don’t support. I might even consider rejoining if Starmer is removed by his own incompetence and Reeves doesn’t succeed him, but until then I have as much in common with Labour as I do with the tories or liberal democrats.

binners

mefty
    Free Member

She thinks, like Dissonance, that whilst it’s possible he’s lost his non-dom status, this hasn’t been demonstrated by anything you’ve presented so far.

But that is only because we don’t know for sure that he has been tax resident for years. To the extent there is any press coverage of him, it strongly suggests he has lived here for a long time (split between Wiltshire and Holland Park) and he has therefore been resident and would accordingly fall within the rules.

kelvin

But that is only because we don’t know for sure that he has been tax resident for years.

So none of us know? And you’re just guessing? Let’s leave it there. Schrödinger’s non-dom. Less of the “weirdo conspiracy theory” charges please.

ransos
    Free Member

But that is only because we don’t know for sure that he has been tax resident for years. To the extent there is any press coverage of him, it strongly suggests he has lived here for a long time (split between Wiltshire and Holland Park) and he has therefore been resident and would accordingly fall within the rules.

Are we not doing argument from authority any more?

mefty
    Free Member

Are we not doing argument from authority any more?

It doesn’t matter how august you are, if you don’t know the precise facts you can never be completely sure but everything points to him being tax resident for a long time, the Times article, likely sloppily worded, also suggests there was a change in circumstance in 2017 so I am very sure I’m right.

Less of the “weirdo conspiracy theory” charges please.

Why, it is what I think, it is like much of the other stuff posted on political threads.

argee

14000!!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 13,961 through 14,000 (of 21,756 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.