• This topic has 25 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Singular Peregrine.
  • PJ266
    Free Member

Anyone got one? What do you think?

Pictures and inspiration more than welcome 🙂

Nipper99
    Free Member

Nothing to add but i love the look of these but can’t quite justify one at the moment, have a cx and a Gryphon at the moment.

richpips
    Free Member

I had one for a few years. If I had the room for lots of bikes, I’d still have it.

Sam

I’ve got one, love it 🙂 Currently set up as my winter road fixed gear with big tyres and mudguards, shortly to be converted to an SS cross bike for the Euro Champs this weekend. Really a very versatile frameset.

pryally
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 and loved the look and versatility of them but found them very sluggish compared to my cross check. I assume this was due to the geometry set up for taking loads during touring?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Had one for a couple of years. Built for commuting but in a very pretty way. I’ll post a pic up later.
    Sold it as I wanted something lighter and faster. It was a superbly comfort ride though, great fun on fast swoopy road descents like Hartside.

wwaswas

This one came up on my twitter feed earlier;

Nice looking bike 🙂

nedrapier

I bought one because I didn’;t want to ride my mountain bike to work and back, and my mate whose Allez I was borrowing wanted it back.

I wanted, but couldn’t really justify having: a tourer, a CX bike, a road bike, a SS town bike, a monster cross bike.

I bike that did at least 3 of those jobs would work, and the Peregrine ticked more boxes for me than the Cross Check (discs, EBB v track ends and looks).

I’m not a serial bike swapper and I like the idea that I can have this bike for 20 years and it’ll do lots of things well (though not do them the best) with a couple of component changes.

Not light though, I’ve just shed a few kilos swapping for some racey wheels, summer road tyres and taking the commuter gubbins off. I could shed a couple more by changing the frame and forks, but I ain’t gonna!

If you’re getting one, build up with plenty of silver. I’m a bit far down the “black” road to come back any time soon, but silver looks really good on these frames. Like that one up there ^

google image search, flickr image search for singular peregine. fantastic array of different builds!

nedrapier

here’s my ode to cycle commuting with a few pics of the peregrine in various guises: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/commuting-by-bike-a-happy-3-year-adds-up

PJ266
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks for the input everyone.

I have bitten the bullet, should have a frame on its way shortly.

Big plans for the build. It will be exclusively silver.

drofluf
    Free Member

I love mine

Singlespeed Peregrine by paulfulford, on Flickr

Currently singlespeed, but had it with Alfine and deraileur.

nedrapier

Good work PJ, Looking forward to pics.

Mmmm. and the creme fat franks! Might put mine back on for some extra exercise on the commute!

kcal

I bought a s/h Allez about a couple of years ago, but it was too large 🙁 In the mean time, I realised I enjoyed riding on rough roads (or trails) too much, and the roads out of town were pretty rough anyway.. So I ended up selling the Allez and getting a Peregrine.

Love it. Last weekend —

nedrapier

Very nice, looks like a beautiful ride, too!

Now I’ve got two sets of wheels, I don’t have to compromise on tyres (or faff changing regularly) So for the moment, I’ve got a long road ride with quick people set – well priced Alpha set from Charlie with 28c Conti GP4S which weigh 2800g with discs and skewers.

And a tarting about town, pootling and commuting set – Open Pro on SLX with cream 2.0 Fat Franks. The additional 2.3 kilos make themselves felt on the hills. Good for fitness or something.

kcal

cheers ned! and thanks for the steer on wheels. I may be doing a bit of touring so road or even cross wheels might not be best bet but for day rides a lighter set would be nice.

I love the ability to nip down a little track if it catches my eye, and not worry about the bike rattling too much, always confidence inspiring..

currently SS setup but again that may have to be modified if it goes on multi-day trips.

nedrapier

I’ll be taking the Stans set off road plenty with knobblies (and probably slicks too, tracks catch my eye fairly often, too!) There’s the Dorset Gravel Dash 100 coming up, which prompted me to speed up the buying.

I wanted a light set that would take road tyres at 80/90 psi and would also be tuff enuff to take off road. People use these for cross racing, I’m only 68kgs and don’t tend to break stuff, so I’m taking my chances. There are some horror stories on the web if you go looking, as there are for any piece of kit, but some of the 340 stories are from before they beefed up the rim a fair bit.

charlie saying his 24/28 spoke iron cross (same weight rims but wider) were standing up well to his 100kgs helped my decision. Stans say if you want a cross rim that will also take high pressures in road tyres, get Alpha not Iron Cross.

kcal

magic. I’m about (+/- 1kg) the 68kg mark too so that’s all good.

That ride was a bit through town (I was in Aberdeen for all day Sunday), then round a couple of loops of some woods, out on railway line (tarmac then dirt) then up through forest roads to about the photo point. Ran out of time so retraced my route, 55 miles all in.

Hm. really must invest in updated wheelset.

nedrapier

The wheels weren’t quite what I wanted. I went round in circles starting uber light, then getting expensive and light, then thinking sensible and long term with the build if I was spending that much, and ending up with a wheel spec that would weigh the same as the ones I’ve got, but were 4 times the price.

These have got ally nips, silver braking surface and are possibly more marginal in terms of strength than I would have gone for ideally.

BUT… rims are £93 each (available for £10 less) and hubs are £85 front, £175 rear. And that’s before the tape, spokes, nips and build. £440 down to £300 made it a bit of a no brainer, and it meant I could stop bloody thinking about it and go riding.

PJ266
    Free Member

Wheels are a bit of a dilemma for me at the minute. Id like:

Wide-ish rims for big tyres
    Light as poss.
    Strong, for a bit of rough stuff and loaded touring.

Plan is for Rohloff rear and dynamo front. But that could change.

What do you reckon are the best rims? some of those new fangled wide road rims or 29er mtb rims?

PJ266
    Free Member

The frame has arrived, payday cannot come soon enough.

nedrapier

I wouldn’t want to leave myself without the option to fit finish road tyres. 28c would fit on Crests, say but Road pressures aren’t supposed to be kind to them.

H plus Son Archetype rims are supposed to be great. Sensible weight, very well made, especially for the reasonable price, and look good too. I probably would have built something on them if I’d not got the Sands set.

nedrapier

“finish”? Finnish? Pretty sure I meant thinish.

PJ266
    Free Member

I agree, I think some H plus son TB14’s would be spot on, 23mm wide but can still use high pressures if needed. Bit more classic than the archetypes.

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/h-plus-son-tb14-rim/

I think a custom build could be on if I do some penny pinching.

nedrapier

yeah! put it on the “bike for life” tab. Depreciate them over 10 years! Disc brake wheels aren’t consumable in the same way that rim brakes are, so go nuts.

nedrapier

If you’re wondering about what finish to go for, there plenty of builds pics out there with black and silver rims, here’s some grey ano. ones – Open Pro CD in this case, but close enough to H Plus Son grey ano, I’d have thought.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2343/5696721140_6465e08c01_b.jpg

OCB
    Free Member

I’ve had mine since 2008, and it’s the most versatile bike I own.
    My wheels are pretty conservative (small c) – Mavic A719’s on XT. Tough and reliable, but not light – they will run 700 x 28’s upto 29 x 2.1’s without any issues. Mine is normally set up as it is below, on Bonty cx tyres in 700 x 34.

The rest of the build is likewise reliable, non-exotic kinda general issue stuff.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Singular Peregrine.’ is closed to new replies.