Singlespeed conversion kit – any recommended?

Home Forum Bike Forum Singlespeed conversion kit – any recommended?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Singlespeed conversion kit – any recommended?
  • hardtail5

Hello guys

I am converting my old hybrid commuter bike to single speed. So far I’ve removed the surplus shifter and rings from the front and locked the rear derailleur in to a suitable gear on the rear, I’ve tested the ratios and I’m ready to take the plunge buying proper parts.

Is there a recommended single speed ‘kit’ people go for? I’ve seen the DMR kit (spacers, single 16T ring and tensioner) for 25 quid which is very tempting. Is there anything any better?

I know you can get the cassette spacers from lots of places (10 quid) and a single Shimano rear ring (5 quid), I’m just not sure which is the better tensioner.

Thanks in advance!

whitestone

Charlie the Bikemonger has some SS kits but they are a bit pricier than the DMR one. My frame previously had an Alfine hub so it used horizontal drop outs so I didn’t need a tensioner – made things much simpler. Some people say that having a tensioner that pushes up rather than down is better since it wraps the chain around the cog better.

It’s worth having a couple of cassette spacers around just in case the spacer kit doesn’t quite cover the free hub – On-One I’m looking at you!

hardtail5

I’ll check out the Charlie one thanks.

I plan to run it pushing upwards, I much prefer the look of the “multiple small spacers” in some kits (e.g. DMR, eBay ones) to get the right chainline compared to the On-One big spacers.

trail_rat

i fitted the DMR kit to my Merida – it did the puffer with no issues after that was the cheapest i found at wiggle for 25 quid.

i much prefer a fixed tensioner – never found it to be an issue to run pushing up or pushing down when your running kit that isnt ****- as shit wears out i find pushing up to be better – but really if you just got a new chain chain ring and cog it would be a far better solution at this point.

trail_rat

also fit a propper non ramped front ring the middle ring from a chainset is just asking for nuts/stem interface.

shermer75

I’ve used DMR and On-One kits, both good. On-One Doofer has a spring so takes care of chain stretch but does not push up.

otsdr

I prefer spring-loaded tensioners (Surly Singleator, Rohloff DH), you don’t have to fiddle with them as the chain wears out; also, they take out any eccentricity in the system and don’t allow the chain to rattle.

l.e. If you have an alloy freehub body you might want a wide-base cog like the On-One Groove Armada.

jamiep

Singleator so have the option of push up or down. I think I got a kit from Superstar, dunno if they still do them, a wide-based cog (wide, so it doesn’t chew the hub as much) and multiple sized spacers (to tinker with chain line

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

you don’t have to fiddle with them as the chain wears out; also, they take out any eccentricity in the system

This.

trail_rat

rohloff dh is a good bit of kit if not heavy mind

singulator spring was shit- could not tension it enough to stop it jumping around over bumps/banging off the stay and holding the chain on the ring. might as well have left the deraileur on. its still in my spares box.

fixed tensioner rarely needs adjusted .

I wouldn’t worry too much about the pushing up or down issue, the forces involved are more than capable of lifting the chain off a push up tensioner, even an un-sprung one. And push-up tensioners don’t play nicely with every chainstay design.

Do get propper 3/32 SS parts though, they last longer and won’t collaborate with your stem to give you a vasectomy.

My setup:
    Chain – KMC Z610
    Sprocket – On-One Groove Armada
    Chainring – On-one Stainless
    Spacers – assorted (I even 3D printed some orange/black tiger stripe ones!)
    Tensioner – On-One sprung doofer, and a surly singulator (both pushing down), never had a problem with either.

neilwheel

Blackspire stinger can also work as a tensioner.

downhillfast

Think I used a chain tensioner from On-One, push down variety, never had any issues with it.
    Or just use your mech.
    Currently have On-One stainless chainring, and a standard 21T cog taken from a cassette (I’ll be getting a proper SS cog soon) whilst I find a ratio I’m happy with.
    If you break apart an old cassette you can use the plastic spacers to put on your cassette and help get the chainline spot on.
    Velosolo do some nice cassette spacers and other bits.
    I’d get all 3/32 SS parts, and the KMC Z610 chsin is very good, doesn’t seem to stretch as much as others.

velocipede

I’ve got a pretty much brand new Velosolo spacer kit (Bronze/Gold & Silver spacers) plus a Boone Titanium 17t cog that I’m looking to sell……if you were looking for something a bit fancy (and a sprocket that’s probs never wear out!)….say £25 the lot?

belugabob

* Velosolo spacers ( for fine-tune ability)
    * Halo fat foot cog
    * KMC 5S chain
    * 4jery tensioner in push down mode
    * Works components oval chainring
    * Gurning of your own design

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Velosolo will sort you out.

Premier Icon teamslug
    Subscriber

I convert my cannondale f29 using a gusset singlespeed kit and a gusset squire tensioner. Comes with 2 springs for push or pull. Running 32/16 with a narrow wide and 9 speed chain, tensioner is pushing down. Never skipped or dropped. Great bit of kit for not much money.

hardtail5

Don’t need anything posh thanks. Cheap and cheerful for me!

I can’t find a reasonably priced sprung tensioner mind. Might try the DMR Kit if there’s no horror stories

hardtail5

Gusset squire looks good, can cope with £20. Cheers.

timber

I got the superstar kit when I singlespeeded one of my bikes for a while, has a wide base to the sprocket to protect the freehub (as already mentioned somewhere I think).
    Now I’m back to my regular singlespeed setup, it’s 3/32 BMX freewheel, steel front ring and a chain with a half-link added to avoid having to run a tensioner. Easier wheel in/out and just looks cleaner.

belugabob

Don’t need anything posh thanks. Cheap and cheerful for me!

“If it doesn’t have to work properly, I can make it as cheap as you like”

😉

trail_rat

Save yer dosh

whitestone

Yer’ve got it wrong way round you numpty! T’forks should be at t’ front!

shermer75

Love the way that fork is giving the finger. Epic work! 🙂

shermer75

Is it yours trail_rat?

trail_rat

not at all .

just saw it and thought it apt.

as above i run DMR tension seeker

hardtail5

That fork is utter genius haha.

I ordered some bits to try out: A2Z spacer kit with 16 and 18 tooth gears (just so happens to be the two gears I wanted to go with my 38t chainring) and a 4-Jeri spring tensioner. I will report back how I get on.

hardtail5

I can report some success. Kit: A2Z rear single speed kit with 16T, 4-Jeri sprung tensioner. Original 38T front chain-ring and 9sp chain.

I originally set it up for 18T but found the chain jumping under moderate pressure when I fitted the 16T, so had to shorten the chain to suit. Unfortunate, as I wanted to swap between the two gears freely.

First commute on it this morning, something has a slight vibration and noise which I suspect is the bearingless jockey wheel on the tensioner. But pretty happy with how easy it was.

Premier Icon nwmlarge
    Subscriber

I have the Gusset single speed kit on my Shine, it looks good but there is a slight touch point due to my chain and the size of the cog I’ve used.

the larger the ring and cog the less likely there will be any interference.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.