Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Singlespeed chainrings
  • chela
    Free Member

My Blackspire Mono Veloce ring is skipping all over the place. It doesn’t seem to be very worn, but under pressure it repeatedly refuses to tolerate having a chain wrapped around it, the bugger.

I’ve tried a few brands recently, and maybe it’s just cuz I’m so flipping hulkingly strong, but I seem to be going through a phase where I’m forever skipping the chain on the ring with the sheer brawn of my pearly white leggies. Chainline’s good, plenty tension, etc.

So, recommend me a new ring that’s done the job for you. Ideally with some whopping huge teeth… and stopping bloody knee/stem interfaces is most important, but, you know, a bit of pimpiness would be nice too could cuz i iz shallow and bike tart 🙄

Joxster
    Free Member

What chain are you running? 3/32 or 1/8th

saladdodger
    Free Member

Surly Stainless Steel

fit and forget

chela
    Free Member

3/32. I keep thinking about changing to 1/8th to see if it helps, because I’ve 1/8 on my road SS.

Mackem

Does your fram have a bolt-on slidy dropout like my P7? If so, check the tightness there, that may be cause, it was for me.

JxL
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a decent rear 16t chainring for a SS?

(32 front : 16 rear = 2:1 ratio?)

singlespeedstu

Surly for good reliable cheapness.
    Boone for mucho blingness.

Anthony
    Free Member

Surly steel for sure.

epicyclo

Don’t forget On-One stainless steel SS chainrings. (UK firm)

I’ve got a set and they look much better finished than the Surly chainring currently on my bike, but there’s nothing wrong with the Surly either.

AdamT

I’ve not ridden them for long enough to know about longevity, but I’ve got the on-one stainless ring and groove armarda cog. Seem pretty well finished.

AdamM
    Free Member

Also, SJS Cycles make really nice alu singlespeed chainrings for £20. Really tall teeth in a variety of drilling patterns. Recommended.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Have to say I bought a Middleburn 32T ring, but the plain one without pins for my SS and it’s been great. I like you have legs that churn away with the power of wind turbines in a gale and the only thing I somehow managed to do was bend a Shimano chain?! Stuck a old sram one on and it’s been fine.

thomthumb
    Free Member

on one cogs are ace & ime last better than surlys

Anthony
    Free Member

Depends on what size you need, I need a 36T and On-one only do 32’s.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

My Raceface alu ring (38T on a Rohloff) has sent 5 chains to the recycle bin and is still going. Teeth getting fairly thin now but I expect to get some more from it yet.

The Thorn rings are reversible. (Raceface isn’t because of the machined in screw head detail. Might be worth considering. Dunno about the Surly. I’ll try one myself next time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed chainrings’ is closed to new replies.