Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Singlespeed 29ers + pics if you like.
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

I have managed to wreck my rear mech and hanger the other day so for now im single speeding with sliding dropouts.
    All seems well, i’ve got a gear ratio that got me around Dalby and is also just about useable for my commute. I’ pretty pleased with it but the chain did jump off twice at Dalby so apart from tightening the chain up a bit would it help things dramatically if i put a ss specific ring and cog on it? [to run with my sram ss chain.]
    I’m liking the price of on-one groove ammada cog so any reason to spend more?
    What front ring do you use?
    Im using 32-14, would 36-16 be a better set to give about the same gear?
    Go on show me your bike pics, 26inch welcome to. I will post mine up later tonight.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

32:18

Aidan
    Free Member

Sliding dropouts? A Voodoo maybe? I used to have a Voodoo D-Jab and had trouble with the chain coming off a lot. I also knew people with the same issues on Wangas.

Chainline is the first thing to check i.e. move the spacers around on the back cog to get it in perfect line with the front chainring.

Generally, bigger rings for the same ratio is better for wear rate and might help keep the chain on. I use 34:19 on a 29er.

Proper SS chainring/cog will help. I like Velosolo for drivetrain needs, and always use a normal SRAM 9sp chain.

Showing off photo:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not my pic but now my bike 🙂

Swaped the 160/140 floating rotors for 180/160 aligators, the smaller rotrs were OK, but bigger aligator rotros weigh less and stop more IME.

Contemplating a blue CK headset and blue seat clamp.

As for gearing, I aimed for the same 52″ gearing as my 26″ SS, which works out arround 32-18

Might drop to 19 or even 20 at the back as winters coming and mud makes everythig hard work.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

To the OP. If you are still using the original 8/9/10 speed cassette it’s not surprising that your chain has dropped off. Cassette sprockets are specifically designed to make shifting easier and if you stand alongside your bike and push down on the pedal, see how the lower chain run slackens as the frame flexes.
    32:14 seems a bit high for off roading, 34:18 works for me on my 29er.

brassneck

and always use a normal SRAM 9sp chain.

Interesting, I’ve always used the cheapest nastiest BMX chain I could find laying around the garage – didn’t even think an old 9 speed would fit on the sprockets (surly cogs and chain ring). I’ll give that a go.

OP – if you can push 32:14 you’re harder than me by a long chalk, I find 32:16 tough and usually go 18 (on 26″).

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

No picture sorry, but I had a good ride in the forest on 38:18 at the weekend. Its the first time I’ve ss’d off road and was guessing at ratios.

I wouldn’t want to do it on multi speed cassette cogs though and my handle bars were creaking like granny flaps.

a11y

2011-08-27 SSWC Ireland (31) by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

Doesn’t always have the dropper post fittted. 32-18 or 32-19 around where I am works well – I’ve only ridden Dalby once and IIRC I used 32-18. I use an FSA DH ring, On-One (18t) or Surly(19t) sprocket and can’t recall dropping the chain ever. Can’t remember what the chain is but didn’t cost much and is SS-specific I think.

letmetalktomark

Now geared and to be honest the bike is better for it …. by bike I mean me 😳

Worked fine in 32:16 guise – If I had stuck with it as a SS I would have gone 32:18 I think 😳

Tiny 160mm rotors front and back stop me fine

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

32-14!! how big are your thighs?

I run 36-21 at the mo on my Pace rc129. Which works out in between 32-18 and 32-19.

fontmoss
    Free Member

34:19 because chain length works

Not a 29er but still lots of fun 42:19 or 39:19

thomthumb
    Free Member

[/url] scandal by thom1984, on Flickr[/img]

my favourite bike. 😀

letmetalktomark

ooooh I like 8)

Is that a stand or a tether to stop it floating away 😯

Shmikuk
    Free Member

Excuse the Phone pic. After having a stretchy PC1 chain on a standard 32t middle ring, I swapped over to surly 32:18 and a kmcz610x after some good advice from Charlie and some riding buddies. Seems spot on since.

bullheart
    Free Member

Renthal 34T on the front, Surly 16T on the back.

Hard graft at the moment…

chainslapp
    Free Member

32:19 with On One groove armada rear sprocket and Velosolo front.

OCB
    Free Member

34:20. Surly front, White Industries trials rear (which is lovely) on Surly SS hub.
    (Not that you’ll see any of that in this picture 😉 ).

I run my Kona on 34:18 (Surly F & R). It’s a 26er tho’.

c_klein87

for summer, now 34:19, works much better, no half link needed

for winter, 32:18 as had a surly stainless chainring

@bullheart u must have legs of iron! could never hack 34:16!!!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

By tommarvin at 2011-12-07

my kula being ridden… shite photo, but the only one i’ve got of this build…

EDIT – hadn’t realised how shit imageshack is! thats an awful photo 🙁

Rorschach
    Free Member

Metasequoia

I think I’d go with Aidan’s advice on ratios and kit, he has have ridden his slightly further than the rest of us…..

clunker

flashes
    Free Member

32 X 18 but I’m tempted to raise the gear a tad

chunkypaul
    Free Member

nosemineb
    Free Member

Some nice bikes here people.
    The 32- 14 was hard work but rideable and it makes it a bit faster on the road to,
    So the chainline looks good but think the skipping its down to worn 9sp kit and a new chain. Obvious really!
    anyway I will post mine but not yet as its unclean and looks a mess!
    Keep the pics coming
    Oh and is it right that you get used to pushing and spinning the more you use it? I know its basic fitness that you adapt abut does it feel easier?

mick_r

All my own work…….

32:18 or 32:19 depending on mood. Middleburn front, Surly rear.

Love Middleburn Uno, but not loving the fact that wearing chainring can’t be rotated or flipped 🙁

Clink

32×18, Middleburn Uno, can’t remember cog, SRAM 9 speed chain.

Stoner
    Free Member

36:20 on both of mine when SS. The Scandal is ‘hoff’d now.
    Groove armada’s are great. Been running one on an ally freehub no problems.

tazzymtb

sounds like a daft idea to me, it’ll never catch on

Andy

32-18
    White Industries front, now reversed so on its second life 8)
    Surly rear
    Whipperman Connex 8 speed chain

EDIT: Oh yeah – groove armadas are great 😀

tazzymtb

mostly 34-19 or 20 with a rotor Q ring on mine

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I love my Santacruz Highball Singlespeed with Syncros FL Carbon fork, I haven’t ridden my other bikes for over 2 months now! 😳

The Bike (taking me to work on the South Downs)

Those Forks

Winter tyres now fitted!

robkhoo
    Free Member

My latest build, Salsa El Mariachi. Geared 32:19, I’m using cut down xtr M960 cranks which limits chainring choice somewhat, so there is a Middleburn ring on there which is wearing surprisingly well considering it’s aluminium (a shame nobody makes a stainless cog to fit that I can get hold of easily).

El Mariachi by robkhoo, on Flickr

rOcKeTdOg

2 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

365/143 23/5/10 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

32:18 on both

Shmikuk
    Free Member

^ nice combo!! How does the gryphon compare to the swift ride wise?

adeward
    Free Member

Designed by me made by a man in china

I run 36 19. Could do with 20 sometimes
    V2 has arrive pics later

nosemineb
    Free Member

Ive got the groove ammada to put on in a min ive gone for a 15 tooth and going to stay on the same ratio as before with a 34 front.
    so far so good! 8)

emac65
    Free Member

110502204113_R by emac65, on Flickr

nosemineb
    Free Member

bloomin thing, ive done 3 rides and the freehub is hacked up from using the narrow 9 speed cog.
    Ive got my file out and i may be some time!

adeward
    Free Member

This is version 2 only ridden around the garden so far but will be racing it at the Merida 4 hour next week

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed 29ers + pics if you like.’ is closed to new replies.