Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Single Speed suspension fork?
  • contrakid
    Free Member

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can advise on a good suspension fork for a single speed 26. Looking at around £300 – £400 tops.

Because its a single speed should I go for a fork with a remote lock out Pop-lock or should I go for something like motion control with threshold so I can set the damping so I get very little bob on climbing like a Reba RTL.

Really don’t want to have to keep reaching down a turning the fork to lock and then back off again as I have done this in the past and just always forget to switch it back.

What people experience and thoughts on the the best way to go.

Thanks all

Simon

Candodavid
    Free Member

I have a Sid XX I need to move on, it has had 10 hours use.
    Works brilliant but now ride 29 only

tomhoward

I’ve just got a reba team with pushloc for my SS project, not ridden it yet though, so nothing to report as yet!

contrakid
    Free Member

I’m wondering if I can set some reba RTL ‘s up and just leave them or would they still bob too much on climbs or could i dial out the bob enough with Lockout Threshold to be nice and solid on climbs.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I run a lefty on mine.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’ve had an RS reba and a sid on mine, both bar mounted lockouts (although I don’t always bother locking it anyway) and they have both been fine.

jonba
    Free Member

Rigid?

Personally I found the lockouts etc. to be a faff. I left them off when I was climbing and always forgot to release them on the downs.

A singlespeed is a simple beast and that is its beauty. A simple for for a simple bike. Mine is a reba it has lockout but only because that model was the cheapest in the sale. I never use the lockout and don’t find a bit of bob a problem. Currently that fork is in the garage though as I run it rigid in (the perpetual) winter.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Talas terralogic.

Adjustable travel, lockout works a treat when sprinting/ climbing. requires no button pressing/ fiddling when set up well, just the occasional travel adjust lever push.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

‘zocchi 44rc3 ti on mine. Great, great forks.

Northwind

contrakid – Member

Really don’t want to have to keep reaching down a turning the fork to lock and then back off again as I have done this in the past and just always forget to switch it back.

Honestly, if you’re forgetting about it, is it worth having? I used to use my lockout, I forgot about it for descents a couple of times but quickly noticed, forgot about it for climbs a lot of times and never really missed it, so stopped using it.

contrakid
    Free Member

Only forgetting to turn back on and then wishing I had half way down the decent. Recons were really bad as coil so never getting lever back in same place after lockout and they would bob really bad on climbs if not locked out.

I think I may try a Reba RLT and see how I get on

jimmers
    Free Member

I used to ride Reba forks with remote lockout.

Lockout is useful for climbs. Though with Rebas dirt can into the internals and cause the lockout to stick. Single speeds usually get ridden through filth so the lockout can become sticky.

I modified removed the remote lockout and reverted to a manual lockout for this reason. The XXX hydraulic lockout may be a better option.

andrewh
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

contrakid – Member

Honestly, if you’re forgetting about it, is it worth having?

I think he may be like me. Switch it off for the climbs, then forget about it, turn into the descent and then suddenly realise but by then it’s a bit to take your hands off the bars!
    My SS is rigid and that works for me, but I think the lack of suspension is more noticable than the lack of gears.
    I run Magura forks on bike race bikes and would strongly recomend them, work well, very reliable and very nice people to deal with, and also have th bar-mounted option (I have one on the bars and one on the fork leg, the bar one is definatley better)

mattbee

Sometimes I wonder why I don’t seem to worry so much about these sort of things, and whether that makes me a worse rider than those who do.
    Then I remember that I’m supposed to be the one not overthinking everything and I go ride my bike instead.

You’re looking at forks with 100-120mm travel? Is a lockoput really going to make that much difference? Mybe with a big burly 150mm long travel jobby it would be worth it but otherwise?
    My SS has a Fox F100 on it. I can quite confidently say that the movement of the fork when climbing is the least of my worries.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Single Speed suspension fork?’ is closed to new replies.