• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Single speed noob – advice please.
  • Bazz

Sick of not getting out on my mud soaked trails i have decided to single speed and rigidfy my HT. I’ve got a swapout scandal 29er so will put the horizontal dropouts in, i have ss specific wheel on route to me and i alraedy have a chainset with a ss specific chainring.

Now the wheel is quick release so i assume i’ll need some chain tugs like these

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSOOCT/on_one_chaintug

do i need two or is that for one bike? And chain, do i need a ss specific one or can i just use the spare 9 speed that i have?

Thanks.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Chain will be fine but a SS specific one is less than a tenner and will be a load stronger.

Only really need 1 chain tug on the drive side.

cardo

I started with a 9 speed chain and it was fine, once it’s stretched beyond hope get a SS chain from Charlie, much tougher and should last all season…
    I use 2 chain tugs , 1 each side only because it makes lining the wheel up straight much easier if you have to remove it for maintenance or a puncture.
    Welcome to Single speeding you’ll love it!

tazzymtb

advice please.

don’t do it. It’s only for wanabe nichewhores and those that aren’t capable of riding anything more technical than fireroad extreme.

nickc

9 speed chain will be fine, bolt up hub is best as it’s not the chain side but the (disc) brake side that moves most.

mattjg
    Free Member

Have fun, the past is the future.

The answers to your next questions are: 32:16, SPDs, and more than you think.

tazzymtb

32:16

add 2 teeth he’s a 29er

mattjg
    Free Member

& Nick, it’s just fashion isn’t it? 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

So he is. 32:18!

ski
    Free Member

You might be able to get away with one tug, but as mentioned two makes it easier to line the wheel up

32:18 or 32:20 which is what I spin in this crud at the moment

nickc

& Nick, it’s just fashion isn’t it?

by jove, I think he’s got it…. 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

32:18 or 32:20 which is what I spin in this crud at the moment

That’s a good idea, I have a 19T in the spares box maybe I should give it a try.

Bazz

Well i’ll be starting at 34:20 as thats what i have, i’ll see how it goes!

Thanks for all the advice, i’ll go two chaintugs and get a ss chain then.

Bazz

Just thought of another question, bottom bracket width, i’m using an old square taper crankset with the chainring in the middle ring position, with a ss specific rear wheel, so a free wheel i presume. Is it just trial and error or is their some kind of rule?

nickc

or is their some kind of rule?

for what?

cyclistm
    Free Member

presume you mean where to place the sprocket on the hub?

trial and error works.

the on-one conversion kit comes with 2 large spacers, I found the largest one put the sprocket in the right place.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I put the 18mm on first then the sprocket then the 16mm

edit – ignore me, just realised you have an ss hub

thepodge
    Free Member

While not as neat, I much prefer the ease of wheel removal & fitting that normal dropouts provide over horizontal ones

Kryton57

Hmmm.

With alledgedly icey roads tomorrow, I may go out on the SS myself….

JoeG
    Free Member

Grow a beard.

Put a bell where your shifter was to cure you of your shifting reflex.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Single speed noob – advice please.’ is closed to new replies.