Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • since you have joined STW……..
  • bearnecessities

I have been kept from going bat shit crazy by this forum.

Can’t say that happened for me, but when I did have my bat shit crazy phase (post-break-up-drinking-too-much), I had a place to post my garbage for irreversible prosperity.

Measure twice, cut post once 🙂

olly2097
    Free Member

I realised that even though I earn an average wage y’all seem to be making megabucks.

I have an image of everyone on STW working in IT, driving a T5 and a VAG car with a detached large suburban house that has a garage with 5+ niche/top end brand bikes in it.

Almost makes me feel I’m under achieving.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its been great for route advice here and in the Alps. Have ridden some spectacular trails after recommendations on here which I probably would not have found otherwise. Been very useful for general advice too on components etc. Been here about 4.5 years now.

SaxonRider

I have an image of everyone on STW working in IT, driving a T5 and a VAG car with a detached large suburban house that has a garage with 5+ niche/top end brand bikes in it.

Replace ‘IT’ with ‘a whole bunch of jobs’, ‘T5 and a VAG car’ with ‘an old Peugeot Boxer and an equally old Peugeot estate’, ‘detached large suburban house that has a garage’ with ‘end-of-terrace and street parking’, and ‘5+ niche/top end brand bikes in it’ with 4 second-hand middle brand bikes’ and you have pretty much described me.

And yes, you probably are underachieving.

Northwind

I take the mick out of this place but it’s done loads for my riding and subsequently general wellbeing tbh. Probably the biggest thing, I made my first leap into #enduro racing through here frinstance and that’s been one of the biggest goads to get me riding different stuff, it’s made all the difference…

And riding, I’ve met a bunch of people and done a load of rides that I wouldn’t have otherwise. Cheers!

Also, I’m one of those folks that doesn’t just ride bikes, for me the whole trying bikes, building and tweaking bikes, learning how they work are either a big part of the hobby, or their own hobby in their own right and this place’s fed that massively.

Oh and yeah fatbike, that’s Coastkid’s fault.

Outside of biking there’s so much chat good and bad- I don’t trust any of my opinions til I’ve had a fight with someone about them- and advice, support. A few years back, I went through a pretty rough patch, and though I didn’t so much get advice here it’s a place you can comfortably talk about stuff. I’ve vented about things that I wouldn’t elsewhere. Same with current issues with my folks’ health. Oh not to mention keeping the zombie mondeo alive day to day 🙂 THough, that’s mostly MC and CraigXXL.

It’s not the best forum I’ve ever been on- that was SV650.org, that place really is fantastic- but it’s in the top 2.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

It’s “my happy place” make of that what you will, more subjectively it given me a better view of the 30 to 40 something generation (younger than me older than my kids) and how remarkably different you are from us 50+ generation (probably for the better)

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s helped my riding but I’ve met some great people (real life and only on the forum).

Like others said, it passes the boring bits of the week and people tend to be very good sharing their expertise and knowledge to help others out. It’s restored my faith in humanity a few times.

I posted here when diagnosed as being bi-polar before telling anyone I actually knew. Someone I’d sold something to previously still had my number so called me out of the blue and was an enormous help. They told me I could call them at any time day or night. I did once, at 3am, and they very literally saved my life.

jamj1974

^^ that is amazing! Whoever they are – they are brilliant.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@coldplay – thats a great story

Harry_the_Spider

I’ll add to the STW love in too.

Been on some memorable rides.
    Met some good mates.
    Encouraged me to organise an event or two (seven actually).
    Frittered away the dull times.
    Discovered exotic crisps.

I’d just like to add that I bought a cheap Cannondale Trigger before they became fashionable.

I must have been here getting on for 15 years, met a couple of folk, pissed off many a folk 😉 learned that posting on internet forums when drunk usually ends badly, been banned once, maybe twice.

Can’t say it’s changed my life – probably wasted a good portion of it though 😉

Saccades
    Free Member

I have a sharks head bottle opener in the shed stuck to a Halfords 3 drawer tool chest which contains a Halfords 170 piece tool set.

Brant sold me an Inbred half price (I’d mangled my Carrera chainstay set) which was the first bike I jumped. testudograeca convinced me to go IGH, which I still use.

I learnt not to use a rock to fix a chainset…. what happened to chicksands? Alex btw?

Houns

Where shall I start? At the beginning I suppose!

I joined aged 25 back in 2003, 13 years later I’m a totally different person which I actually put down to this place.

Back then I was an over confident, bordering on bolshy tw@. Thought I knew everything and thought I was always right and people wanted to know that. I’ve become the exact opposite now.

They say you get more right wing as you get older, well I’ve proven that wrong. When I was 25 I was slightly on the right side of the fence, this place and understanding/reading people’s views on life has helped me get over that fence firmly in to the left side.

I’ve met some amazing people via stw, even had a couple of relationships through here (recently single so could always have another :0) )
    Been on some fab rides, made good friends and via an early splinter group ‘Mleh’ found an awesome bunch of folk.

Yep riding has gone down the pan, but that’s due to my mental state (which I think spending so much time on line doesn’t help) if I spent the time I’ve spent on here riding instead then I’d be unbelievably fit.

It’s given me laughs, it’s given me help, it’s given me hope, it’s given me life changing advice

Now I’m a grumpy 38year old man, who drinks beer, owns a Skoda, a Santa Cruz (ok it’s 11 years old) a cx bike, a Ti HT and a bikepacking bike (that have been bike packing once on) so pretty much fit the demographic (apart from being a postie and not working in IT)

yunki
    Free Member

When I joined STW I would ask my LBS what bike I should buy, and would end up with some sort of deal on old stock which was a compromise in every respect, I would also take my bike in for anything more complicated than a puncture..

Through STW I’ve learned everything I need to know about buying and maintenance, I got the motivation to move to Dartmoor and met decent folk who I’ve ridden with and partied with..
    The monthly photo challenges often got me out riding when I lost my mojo..

More esoterically I’ve learned to be more tolerant and realised that although more people than I thought are barking up completely the wrong tree of life (sometimes it’s not even a tree, it’s a flag pole or a street lamp or someone else’s leg) some of those people firmly believe in what they’re doing and we just have to smile and nod and trust that we just need to look a little deeper to find the qualities that make them beautiful

avdave2

Used to google stuff now I just ask on here . It’s so much easier.

I don’t even do that anymore I just wait for someone else to ask it.

Trekster

As others have said, met and ridden with a few people(some posting on this thread) Asked for, taken and given “advice” on various topics.
    Went on my first and best biking holiday in 2005, the STW Verbier trip. Had already met Lucy at Dalbeattie the year before when Chipps, Sanny & co organised an STW opening day ride(2002/3?). That weeks holiday will never be forgotten .
    Riding less recently due to family life, elderly, Ill parents, funerals etc. Have bought a “gravel bike” to help get the fitness miles up, enjoying riding the miles as opposed to the singletrack atm……

peabrain
    Free Member

To use a mooncup. And keep a whole set of bedding inside a pillow case so no faffing about trying to find matching duvet, pillowcases, sheet etc

Oh hang on that was Mumsnet…

jamj1974

an image of everyone on STW working in IT, driving a T5 and a VAG car with a detached large suburban house that has a garage with 5+ niche/top end brand bikes in it.

Yes, IT and VAG. No T5 and a 3 bed Victorian townhouse in a non-fashionable part of Brum. Two bikes – admittedly one recent and pretty expensive. I justify the bikes with my 28 year MTB history! 😉

Almost makes me feel I’m under achieving.

Bollocks to that! I’m sure you’re doing ok. More to life than money…

Ambrose

Sitting in front of my Morso woodburner (Badger, complete with humidifier and econofan), about to order an Aeropress. STW has had no influence upon my lifestyle whatsoever. I remain entirely my own person.

Silly comments aside, it looks like this is a bit of a ‘group hug’ thread. Can I join in please, this is such a great place.

toofarwest

I now own an Aeropress, a DE razor and a swanky pair of moleskin trews.
    Thanks STW 😆

mildbore

I learned to hate my carbon bronson

fasthaggis

I wandered in in 2009 asking about an event.
    Got some good advice that really made a difference.
    That still works (mostly)as long as you don’t ask about cyclepaths,spds,flats,wheelsize,frame design,cats V dogs or riding with headphones. .
    Some really interesting folk post on here and are well worth hanging around for.
    I do think that I remember far too much nonsense posted on here though,so when reading some threads,I have these mini internet profiles of posters in my my mind .
    I have always had a mancrush on bearnecessities since he mentioned his love of Mk3 Cortinas 😉

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Since I’ve come on here it’s totally changed into boring piss taking comments. Which gets a bit tedious when your asking or answering a question . Reminds me of a forum called filecabi.net which was just slating each other and piss taking. That got old pretty quick…….

xico
    Free Member

The same usernames replying to every post, regardless of topic. You know who you are!

+1 @ beermonst3r44

wolfenstein
    Free Member

STW is my own personal “google” …I ask here more about bits n bobs than google itself… and also my personal online therapist.

..also STW is my somewhat a friend.. I dont have much friend in this stage of life now, I only have maybe 1 left.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I start far too many sentences with, “I was reading a thread on STW the other day…”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I posted here when diagnosed as being bi-polar before telling anyone I actually knew. Someone I’d sold something to previously still had my number so called me out of the blue and was an enormous help. They told me I could call them at any time day or night. I did once, at 3am, and they very literally saved my life.

Right. Enough of this stupidity now. I’ve had enough.

Yes, you, STW, I’m looking at you.

WHERE’S THE CHUFFING “LIKE” BUTTON?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I posted to ask if cheapo ebay replacement wing mirrors with a heating element would suffice instead of a main dealer robbery.

I’ve never heard the **** end of it. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Please see my previous post.

edhornby

Actually this site has encouraged me to ride more, during my early 20s the bikes were being ridden very sparsely due to living in the Mancunian beiruit and trying to make a living out of music (which didn’t happen); so having got back on the bike to commute to work I now have riding buddies and bikes to ride due to this forum’s encouragement

The magazine talked me out of upgrading my current mtb 🙂

funkrodent

Started off not knowing what I didn’t know about buying, riding and maintaining bikes. Now know exactly what I don’t know about the above. But a great bunch of people to ask as and when. Have bought many bikes and bike related paraphernalia that I wouldn’t otherwise have even thought about. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. Have learnt to avoid the for sale forum at all times. There is always something that I don’t really need but a bargain is a bargain. It’s not the bike, it’s the rider. It takes all sorts but it’s a great community. Your best ride was your last ride

ThePilot
    Free Member

I used to have a cotic soul and now ride a bird aeris. Stw’s opinion doesn’t mean a thing to me 😀

scaredypants

This place keeps my computer running – without which,

… oh

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…I’ve gone from finding it a useful source of information where people are only too willing to answer your questions, to finding it a hive of sometimes quite unpleasant people bitching at each other, to (now) the equivalent of a doctor’s waiting room “Take a Break” magazine (interpret that how you will). I suspect it’s probably always been – and always will be – all of those things combined. It has added to my riding in that I’ve learnt some new stuff and I’ve met one or two fellow MTBers on here. Good result.

Still love the mag 🙂

spawnofyorkshire

Still love the mag

There’s a magazine?

I’m really rather fond of this place, it’s highly amused me at times, been a good source of technical info and helped me through a couple of dark periods where i’ve seen how supportive members can be for complete strangers.

Spongebob squarepants was heartbreaking but showed what kind people are here (even some of the knobish bighitters have a soft side)

DaRC_L

People owned with Bombers – 0
    Shoes wee’d in – 0
    Baby robin’s seen – 5
    Sanity maintained – 85% possibly lower

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t have time for all that tedious bike riding now.

Pretty much sums it up. 🙁

wilburt
    Free Member

I know the difference between there, their and they’re.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I kinda prefer the established crowd on here, and there’s been a lot of trolly types which I ignore totally. But the establishment have a lot to say, and in the main their comments and more importantly attitude means I return time and time again.
    We’ve all been through a lot, whether riding or life, yet we’re not really sure it’s just us that goes through it all, until that is we end up here for a viewpoint, advice, solidarity or beer.

On the whole STW does add to my life, in a small way mind but it adds and not detracts.

Posted from a cafe just outside Kendal whilst on my NCN72 pilgrimage… 🙄

benp1

Hmmmm – I joined this forum after I bought my first MTB since I was a teenager. That was 3 years ago

I’ve since upgraded that to a new bike (Solaris!), and gone from 2 bikes to 5 bikes. Plus loads of kit to go with it

Disappointingly I’m riding my motorbike less… but still, 2 wheels are good!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘since you have joined STW……..’ is closed to new replies.