Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Since when did you need a degree to make coffee? (yurt content)
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

I don’t see the point of the requirement – it’s not actually gonna help them find a better employee from their point of view

Case in point – my best mate has a first class BEng in Aeronautical Engineering and a PhD and is now a Senior Lecturer at Russell Group University.
    He is, however spectacularly under qualified for this particular job owing to the fact that he rarely smiles, can barely make instant coffee to the manufacturers specification and lives hundreds of miles away.
    Poor selection criteria indeed.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

This is just pretentious wanakary.

As in, something “artisan” that comes from here?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Wanaka,+New+Zealand/@-44.7164374,169.1103502,10z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0xa9d5461db9ec2d6f:0x500ef868479c1e0

Edit: Wanaka is jolly nice BTW, for anyone lucky enough to sod off to NZ for a nice holiday. I don’t remember them having pretentious coffee shops either. Hunting fishing and shooting supplies, yes. Fresh ground arabica, no.

Further edit:

Wrecker and IHN have got the hammer onto the nail

only by being degree qualified in carpentry

hammerite
    Free Member

I wasn’t quite sure how a business degree made me overqualified to serve cake, coffee and look after a shop! But wasn’t too fussed

Normally most small businesses looking for management want people who will stick around, they invest in people with training, learning and getting them up to speed that employing somebody who will be off when the first big offer arrives makes no business sense, if you don’t get that then maybe you should send your business degree back

No I completely understand that side of things. But why not say that rather than say I was overqualified? At that point I had no real management experience and a business degree had very little baring on the catering side of the business. I did however have a fair whack of experience in retail and customer service for someone relatively young. Which is what they said they wanted on the job spec.

Having now selected and interviewed people myself I wouldn’t not interview people for a role because they had a degree when one might not actually be needed.

Anyway, it was just a meaningless anecdote. I did alright for myself in business once I got a proper job a couple of weeks later (about 15 years ago) although that too is of little consequence in my current career.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s just effing coffee, why is it treated like some effing artform? This isn’t a rant particularly aimed at this lot though, more of a general anti-coffee-wnkary rant

Ask any coffee drinker in Melbourne when they go to the UK or US, there is a gulf in quality between some black liquid and milk and a good coffee.

Anyway as a tea drinker if they put a tea bag in a pot then they can **** right off…. leaf or nothing

joshvegas
    Free Member

A degree can make all the difference between a good coffee and a burnt coffee.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It’s also abight heving the raight aehccent.

Additionally, those local Cotswold oiks look beastly. One fears that no combination of Pashley, quiff or hat might ever begin to compensate for coarseness. In ones experience one simply canNOT jollify certain ‘elements’ where not even the best intentions suffice. One requires the full peckage orf the bat. Poor stock always results in poor soup. So if you wish to serve jolly GOOD soup you’ll be requiring Jeremy or Julian rather than Jethro, and Tiarabelle or Thalia rather than Tracey. Stands to reason.

hels
    Free Member

I think it’s time to man the barricades, comrades. How about a real world DDOS attack on the poncy middle class warriors – lets all send in fake CVs and applications, and see who gets a bite ?

wrecker
    Free Member

One requires the full peckage orf the bat.

LIKE!

convert

Coffee shop needs eloquent and engaging staff to help sell over priced drinks to mainly affluent customers. It wants to pay a pittance. It knows there are unemployed graduates, probably a bit desperate whilst they wait for a ‘proper’ job who will fit these criteria. They know they they will will be looking on Indeed for that ‘proper’ job. They put together an advert full of the sort of keywords that grads will be putting in looking for that proper job. They write it in the sort of floury language their victims potential employees are used to reading. They advertise locally in places where non-grads prepared to work for little money might look. Probably in less pretentious language.

Is this really so hard to understand?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

They write it in the sort of floury language their potential employees are used to reading.

Floury? You are a gradwit, I assume?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Since when did you need a degree to make coffee? (yurt content)’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM