Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Since 27.5 is dead would a switchback be crazy?
  • cromolyolly
    Free Member

I see switchback framesets come up 2nd hand occasionally. They don’t sell quickly even now at what seem like reasonable prices. I’m assuming it’s because if the wheel size. I keep thinking of making a slightly cheeky offer but it seems like 27.5 and + really are waning in popularity.

Would it be crazy to buy one, even if it is a bit of a bargain, or should I just buy a 29er? Seems like Cotic and Stanton themselves are moving away from the smaller wheel size.

jamj1974

You can fit 29’er wheels to my 2018 Switchback Ti. So it’s worth double-checking for the frame you have seen.

Personally, I don’t think 27.5 – especially in + size is dead though.

joebristol

I don’t see 27.5 dying completely – there are loads of frames for that size wheel out there and plenty still being made. You can still buy 26er wheels / rims tyres and they stopped being sold in the main years ago.

Plus, a lot of companies are beginning to sell Xs / S frames with 27.5 and M / L / XL in 29er.

twrch
    Free Member

I have a Switchback as my “downhill hardtail” and love it. I’ll keep it on 27.5 as long as tyres are made for it.

hols2
    Free Member

I don’t see 27.5 dying completely

I think I’m to blame. I bought a 27.5er and the very next day it was announced as dead. Same thing happened with 11 speed drivetrains and QR wheelsets.

kayla1
    Free Member

Are 26″ and 27.5″ both dead now then? I don’t want a 29er.

fasthaggis

Not dead,just waiting for the next fashion phase. 😉

flicker
    Free Member

Not dead,just waiting for the next fashion phase. 😉

28 1/4″, best of both worlds 😁

kayak23

27.5 dead? Poppycock and hogwash. 🙄

TheGhost
    Free Member

A lot of the newer 29er/27.5+ frames will happily take 27.5, 27.5+ and 29. Anything up to 60mm bottom bracket drop will be fine. Just get 29er short offset forks and fit the wheels you fancy for that days riding 🙂

fasthaggis

28 1/4″, best of both worlds .

Naw,I think it will all be adjustable rims and spokes >> 26″ to 29″ ,changed on the move using centrifugal black magic forces with a bar mounted locking lever. 🙂 🙂

dmorts

Cotic and Stanton themselves are moving away from the smaller wheel size

These guys are tiny players in a huge market. If Giant, Trek etc. stop making 27.5, then would be the time to be worried.

kayla1
    Free Member

Seems like Cotic and Stanton themselves are moving away from the smaller wheel size.

The thing is, I don’t think that’d be a good move for either of them. Look at the ‘My new LLS bike feels really dead’ threads on here.

cookeaa

Nah tweener wheels aren’t dead.

It’s probably just that those who read MBR/MBUK, swallowed the koolaid and wanted 27.5, went out bought a bike and then noticed all the other shifting standards nonsense so are now probably holding off for a bit while the various other standards wars settle down. And, you know, actually enjoyed riding their bike too much to chop it in…

While of course everyone sensible just said “sod it” and went 29er…

There is a concerted effort on now to sell 650b to Gravelbikerists, so don’t worry the industry big boys are fully committed to 27.5 (at least this week)…

sharkattack

I haven’t ridden a 29er that I really like yet. I’m staying put on 27.5

Superficial
    Free Member

Can’t see 650b disappearing TBH, although stranger things have happened.

There is a concerted effort on now to sell 650b to Gravelbikerists

This is true but it really doesn’t make sense to me. Gravel bikes are ideal for 29er (/700c) without big tyres, or with if clearance is provided. Gravel bikes with 650b wheels and big tyres is a hack based on the fact that they will physically fit into existing framesets, when actually a 29er with 2″+ tyres is a better option for the type of riding these bikes are used for. Bikes shouldn’t be designed around hacks IMO.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Clickbait thread, ennit.

w00dster

Surely 27.5 wheels will always be available for the smaller size frames. For example, my wife’s Trek is available in 29er for larger sizes and small and Xs are 27.5.

Paul-B

Worth noting, on a mk1 Switchback the rear tyre clearance is pretty poor. If your frame is the wrong side of the tolerance band then you’ll struggle to fit a Maxxis HR in 2.35″ flavour. The later frames have the yoke back end so can take a better range of tyres.

I have a mk1, I love it but then I run it singlespeed and only really ride it local these days. When it was my main bike I ran it with 2.25 Specialized or WTB rear tyres and it was OK for me.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

You can fit 29’er wheels to my 2018 Switchback Ti. So it’s worth double-checking for the frame you have seen.

Interesting. Cheers. I did wonder. I’ve seen a couple of ’16-’17 steel bikes that claim to be next gen. I thought next gen only came out for ’17. I think the next gen will take up to a 2.8 which would be slightly bigger than a 2.0″ 29.

Unfortunately Stanton don’t keep the geo of the older bikes in the website….

cromolyolly
    Free Member

The thing is, I don’t think that’d be a good move for either of them. Look at the ‘My new LLS bike feels really dead’ threads on here.

That’s exactly what got me looking. I ride my mtb as a commuter, pub, shopping, fun in town and occasionally on a mountain. Pretty much like I rode my bmx when I was a kid. Who doesn’t ride down stairs on their way to work?
    So a 29er is great for Mile munching but a 27.5 might be more fun…

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Just get 29er short offset forks and fit the wheels you fancy for that days riding 🙂

What’s the advantage of short offset forks?

kayla1
    Free Member

That’s exactly what got me looking. I ride my mtb as a commuter, pub, shopping, fun in town and occasionally on a mountain. Pretty much like I rode my bmx when I was a kid. Who doesn’t ride down stairs on their way to work?
    So a 29er is great for Mile munching but a 27.5 might be more fun…

Yep, my bike does it all too 😎 For what it’s worth, a mk1 Switchback is really good fun on 26″.

Northwind

kayla1

Are 26″ and 27.5″ both dead now then? I don’t want a 29er.

No, they’re not dead, they’ve just both been relegated to second class so that you get less choice and more cost. Except now, the effort that used to be spent on one second class option, gets spread across two so it’s even worse. Well done industry.

legometeorology
    Free Member

26 aint even dead anymore, that’s RoadFat now:
    https://r2-bike.com/PANARACER-Tire-GravelKing-SK-26-x-210-TLC-black-brown

legometeorology
    Free Member

Interesting. Cheers. I did wonder. I’ve seen a couple of ’16-’17 steel bikes that claim to be next gen. I thought next gen only came out for ’17. I think the next gen will take up to a 2.8 which would be slightly bigger than a 2.0″ 29.

Unfortunately Stanton don’t keep the geo of the older bikes in the website….

Don’t expect a frame that clears a 650b x 2.8″ to clear even a 29 x 2″, there’s still a difference in height despite what official bike industry diagrams say…

https://www.traversbikes.com/journal/russ-ti-compare-29er-to-650b

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Don’t expect a frame that clears a 650b x 2.8″ to clear even a 29 x 2″, there’s still a difference in height despite what official bike industry diagrams say…

To be honest, I was surprised that jamj could fit a 29erin the ti version. Don’t know if the geo is the same with the steel.

johnhe

In all seriousness, I’ve just bought my first 27.5 2.6” hardtail. Before that I was running regular 2.3 tyres on my last hardtail (And any other bikes ive owned). I never want another tyre size – 2.6” tyres on 27.5 wheels are soOooo perfect.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

2.6” tyres on 27.5 wheels are soOooo perfect.

If you’ve got room, try 2.8s. They’re a bit more perfecter IMHO 😉

chestrockwell

What’s the advantage of short offset forks?

Very little in my experience for average Joe’s like me. Plenty of other things like tyre choice make far more difference.

As has been said, 650b seems to be getting shoved to gravel but I can’t really see why 700c/29” isn’t the answer for that. Certainly is on my bike.

jamj1974

To be honest, I was surprised that jamj could fit a 29erin the ti version. Don’t know if the geo is the same with the steel.

I don’t run it with 29’s, but they do fit. I use 27.5 x 2.8.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you’ve got room, try 2.8s. They’re a bit more perfecter IMHO 😉

Not for me, 2.6 is the sweetspot, going any bigger is either a compromise in terms of weight, or if it’s not, the tyres are too fragile.

Tried a few in 2.8, won’t be doing it again.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

the tyres are too fragile

Dual ply rear for the win.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, after I typed that, again realised that tyre weight is way down my list of priorities anyway. don’t mind pedalling a bit harder to run a beefy tyre!

nickc

While of course everyone sensible just said “sod it” and went 29er…

Personally, I ride a wildly over-specced bike in circles in the woods to get away from all this “sensible” nonsense.

jamj1974

Personally, I ride a wildly over-specced bike in circles in the woods to get away from all this “sensible” nonsense.

You too? I thought it was just me!

ajt123
    Free Member

I just bought an Aeris 145 which is 650b.

I think there does seem to be a trend to 29ers, but I’ve tried a fair few and just don’t enjoy. They are a bit lifeless unless you go full tilt, in my experience.

I’m 186cm, so the ‘in’ thinking would suggest that I go 29er – but I tried an AM9 and a 145 back to back and it was like night and day – the smaller wheels just felt more right. Same with the Production Privee and Commencal’s I’ve ridden.

If I was getting an XC bike I would go 29er – got big fats schwalbes on my Kona Big Rove after all – but can’t see the appeal.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

There is a concerted effort on now to sell 650b to Gravelbikerists

i thought gravel had gone 36″??

heartland credit union madison wi

Superficial
    Free Member

^^^ That’s fugly as hell (even an expensive oilslick drivetrain can’t save it!) but for bashing along fireroads and smooth singletrack that looks like it would be fun.

EDIT: WTF is going on with that bottle cage??

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Ah, but is it an e- bike?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Since 27.5 is dead would a switchback be crazy?’ is closed to new replies.