Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Silly Billy Health and Safety RULES
  • project
    Free Member

Talking to a site manager,all staff must wear safety glasses, hi viz and gloves at all times,this in all retail shops that have closed for the night, while doing minor maintance work.

a well known trade supplier, the staff are not allowed to carry anything from the shelf to the customer service counter, it must go in wheeled trolleys, rubber washers or car jacks must all be transported not carryed, gloves must be worn at all times, then the product if suitable is put in a plastic bag, while you juggle a hot cup tea,and a plastic bag out of the seriously stiff doors.

Rail staff at stations are not allowed onto the tracks to retriev personal items of passengers even when they know no trains are due.They must contact control and ask for permision, then awit permision to be granted.

Bus drivers are only allowed to stop to pick up and drop off passengers at designated bus stops.

So any other common sence health and safety rules that need not be obeyed.

scaredypants

well, that’s plain kerrazy

surely stiff doors aren’t allowed ? 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, we should go back to the days of no H&S stuff really. I mean, y’know, it’s all just common sense isn’t it? And hardly anybody really got hurt. And if they did, well, they learned their bloody lesson.

joshvegas
    Free Member

meh no real harm in it and does cut down on minor injuries.

Someone has not been taught how to do a proper risk assessment. Or is just to lazy.

To bloody right no one is allowed onto the track until track section is clear how can you possibly think thats a bad idea?!

Not where i am from dropped off at various points no pronlem. In cities and towns its to keep the busses schedules on track.

scotroutes

and keep traffic flowing, prevent buses from stopping at junctions and passengers from jumping in front of passing vehicles.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s crap really…can’t we allow potential bus users and drivers to just do their own risk assessment there and then? It’s all just common sense. There’s no need to be such a namby-pamby jobsworth about the whole thing.

mrchrispy

its not against H&S to drive full pelt into a low sun so you cant see anything in front of you.

how that one?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I was lazy scotroutes you are perfectly correct.

imagine not being able to send children up chimneys ind in the mill machinery while it runs. Gone mad i tell thee

scotroutes

Fair dos, but we’d need to involve an arbitrator in the event that unanimity wasn’t forthcoming. Do you think the UN could spare one person per bus once they’ve solved the punishment/pudding issue?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Yeah, we should go back to the days of no H&S stuff really.

This…it must have been so much fun setting off to work not knowing if you’d come back with a life-changing injury, lose your job, get evicted from your worker’s cottage and end up in the work-house…
    How we miss those jolly good old days…

P-Jay
    Free Member

One of my In-laws used to work for the HSE.

He reckons 75% of what people moan is “elf and safety gone mad” is either imposed by insurance requirement or company policy based on the cost of losing x number of days every year due to sickness from work related injuries.

The actual health and safety rules really have made places like factories and building sites far less dangerous places to work.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Rail staff at stations are not allowed onto the tracks to retriev personal items of passengers even when they know no trains are due.They must contact control and ask for permision, then awit permision to be granted

based on the chaos of reality vs the timetable it sounds very sensible to me

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How we miss those jolly good old days…

Yeah, but, stuff GOT DONE! We didn’t have any eejits with clipboards and fluorescent vests stopping us from even putting a ladder against a wall to do a bit of painting. Nothing has had more of an impact on productivity of the UK than bloody H&S silliness.

Rorschach
    Free Member

42 people lost their lives due to slips/trips or fall at work 2013/14.And 1.5 million working days were lost from injuries.
    It’s all a silly waste of time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, so people die occasionally. It happens EVERY DAY. And sometimes it’s at work. Shit happens. Let’s just all get on with doing our jobs without being slowed down by stupid rules.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Fingers crossed.

sharkattack

In my local Job Centre all of the desk bound staff have hi-viz vests on the back of their chairs. This is because the car park, directly outside the building, is shared with the general public. Apparently it’s a disciplinary offence to walk from the building to your car without your vest on.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

H+s is a good thing. How its interpreted by insurance company’s isn’t.

project
    Free Member

42 people lost their lives due to slips/trips or fall at work 2013/14.

They should have been looking where they where going not looking at a clipboard trying to tick things off while wearing thing anti cut kevlar gloves then.

thecaptain
    Free Member

“No trains are due” but there may be an additional unscheduled/late train. Doesn’t sound that unreasonable to me.

I did once have a jobsworth try to stop me taking a photo in a shopping centre on the basis of “health and safety of the buildings” which made me laugh, before I told him he was an idiot making up such ridiculous bollocks. Hardly fair to blame H&S for some idiots making up stupid rules though.

Lifer
    Free Member

I think it’s completely sensible that rail staff aren’t allowed to jump on the tracks as they see fit. What if they’ve made a mistake re ‘knowing no trains are due’?

grum
    Free Member

If there’s one thing I hate more than health it’s bloody safety. If Clarkson was PM he’d sort all this nonsense out.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Apparently it’s a disciplinary offence to walk from the building to your car without your vest on.

Perfect example. Somebody needs to work out just how much time is wasted putting on and taking off those vests and then translate that into how much of OUR TAX is being wasted on such silliness.

ninfan
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pGnCbRnmeYM[/video]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I spent a looooong time working in the construction industry. I’m a qualified H&S rep. I’ve done pleanty of other training on this too.

Here’s your problem:
    If everyone could be guaranteed to work safely and with common sense then we wouldn’t need these rules.

But obviously that’s impossible. People are idiots and think they know it all.
    So we have to legislate for the idiots, or, alternatively, they’ll keep killing and injuring themselves.

I knew there was things that, if I was caught doing them, would result in instant dismissal. I know of people that have been dismissed for doing just that. Which seems very harsh, yes. But I also know of at least two dead people, one with life changing injuries and at least three with missing fingers. All of whom did something stupid.
    My former employers, Hanson Aggregates, would repeat time after time that they’d spend any money necessary to make the job safer. People were rewarded for thinking of safer working practices. They also said they’d rather sack us than kill or injure us. Which seems very fair to me.

Most people that go on like the OP have little or no knowledge of what H&S entails. They think there’s just some draconian book of stupid rules, and that they know better and can do what they like. These are the people that get killed.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I imagine elf & safety gawn mad is infuriating for the evil cigar smoking mill owners who are annoyed that they’re not allowed to grind up little kiddies for a laugh anymore, but quite good for the drones, as any time not actually doing work but participating in daft PC GAWN MAD training days etc whilst still getting paid must be blessed relief.

sharkattack

People are idiots …. they’ll keep killing and injuring themselves.

Where’s the problem?

jambourgie
    Free Member

People are idiots …. they’ll keep killing and injuring themselves their staff.

El-bent
    Free Member

Where’s the problem?

That they wouldn’t be idiotic enough to sign a disclaimer to absolve any blame being directed at their employer for anything idiotic they may do?(not that disclaimers stand up in court)

That’s why they do H&S.

If everyone could be guaranteed to work safely and with common sense then we wouldn’t need these rules.

I agree with PP, which doesn’t happen very often.

MoreCashThanDash

Don’t mix up H&S rules with paranoid middle managers terrified of an insurance claim.

Northwind

sharkattack – Member

Where’s the problem?

If they get run over by a train, it may cause me to be late

project
    Free Member

Most people that go on like the OP have little or no knowledge of what H&S entails. They think there’s just some draconian book of stupid rules, and that they know better and can do what they like. These are the people that get killed.

There s common sence health and safety and just stupid rules,Health and safety rules say safety glases should be worn if there is a foresable risk of injury to the eyes, working in an empty shop has little to zero risk, same with gloves and trolleys and also hi viz vests, strange how health and safety doesnt seem to cover or have an intrest in company vehicle drivers, training, safety etc, same with lgv drivers,and trucks.Why doent mil men have to wear gloves and safety boots, serious risk of dropping a glass bootle and risk of deep lacerations,window clearers using poles to wah windows, risk of smashing dislodging window panes or hanging baskets, trip hazard of hose pipes feeding them. and the list goes on.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/top10myths.htm

And I’ll bet people keep making new ones.

nemesis
    Free Member

There will always be stupid, awkward or just plain obstructive people who use H&S as an excuse to do stupid, pointless things.

There are also a huge number of ignorant people who don’t really understand the impact that not following rules leads to and will moan about it. Until it affects them and then they’ll be looking to point the finger and blame those who didn’t ensure that the rules were followed even if the person injured chose to ignore them.

Personally, I don’t fancy ever having to have been responsible for someone who’s injured themselves or worse even if it wasn’t my fault.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

“No trains are due”

..freight trains aren’t timetabled, porters probably don’t know they’re coming.

project
    Free Member

of course freight trains are timetabled, how do the drivers know when to catch their train.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/CRE/2015/03/17/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt details of all timetabled trains in the uk.inc freight, but not the royal train

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Bus drivers are only allowed to stop to pick up and drop off passengers at designated bus stops.

Shocking! I suppose they should follow the prescribed route as well? What’s the world coming to?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

of course freight trains are timetabled

scheduled, not timetabled. Look at the timetables next time you’re in a station, how many freight trains do you see?

scotroutes

So how is it that on some days the Tesco train to Inverness comes by at 9:00 and some days at 9:30? Could it perhaps be because freight trains are frequently subject to schedule changes to accommodate issues with passenger trains?

And then what happens when there are additional trains put on; work parties, snow ploughs etc?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

what happens when there are additional trains put on

Well obviously keep an eye out for trains when retrieving personal items – it’s just commonsense.
    No one died here :

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0exN_NLsaI[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Silly Billy Health and Safety RULES’ is closed to new replies.