Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 2,459 total)
  • Sick of the incessant snow updates
  • swanny853

Based on the entirely scientific approach of ‘holding my hand up to it and then measuring when i got home’, the snow in north east surrey was 7, maybe 8 cm an hour or so ago. It’s been a bit bitty since.

We’re on the greensand ridge, I’d imagine the top of the Downs will have more.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

its actually snowing in essex.. expect everything to stop round here

kayak23

Symonds Yat

CountZero

Couldn’t be arsed to go outside today, but I took a photo out of the kitchen window to try to get a shot of the starlings squabbling in my Acer, but it wasn’t very good.

bigdaddy

Snow time

Redhill this evening – looking proper! Can’t wait to ride the north downs in the morning!

Kryton57

Snowing heavily here in London Essex/Herts borders!

DickBarton

Still nothing round Stirling/Falkirk…plenty slippy paths with ice starting, but nae snow and I’m not happy!

Kryton57

Kids always make thing happier eh? Our two having snowball fights in the garden coming in soaked with numb hands but giggling away, fun times!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Nearly an inch so far at crystal palace. The ridge here always gets more, just a mile away at the bottom of might be none

kilo

The ridge here always gets more, just a mile away at the bottom of might be none

Snowing in Sw19, snowmagedon!!!!!!

MoreCashThanDash

Symonds Yat

Clever dog that!

joat

Symonds Yat

Clever dog that!

I hope it’s a small snowman.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s even snowing here in London!

Kryton57

Well my daughter’s happy as her school is closed. My son less so as his remains open, full teenage flip-top head going on….

sprootlet
    Free Member

About 6cm in Brentwood – the town will now shut down

No one seems able to drive in the snow here

matt_outandabout

Usual numpties out – who’s VW bus is this?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

@kayak23

Symonds Yat

Is that looking over to Saracems?

honeybadgerx

Managed the first ski tour of the season in the Pentlands yesterday morning which was nice! Not much of a one for the downhills but good to get out and remember how stuff works.

joshvegas
    Free Member

https://i.imgur.com/qvQPIP9.jpg

Whistler Glentress yesterday all powder.

Dog was LOVING LIFE

scotroutes

Currently -13c here.

And the CH boiler has jacked it in.

Send blankets!

matt_outandabout

Currently -13c here.

And the CH boiler has jacked it in.

Oh bugger.

I bet the Old Bridge Inn is warm…

ratherbeintobago

It’s hovering just below freezing in Rochdale.

No more snow, which is good as I’ve got to get to Salford tomorrow on a day there are no trains so the roads will be awful.

iainc

South Lanarkshire here, a dusting of crispy snow and currently -8.3 outside.

binners

Looking at the Met Office app it’s not forecast to get above freezing all week here in the East Lancs hills (-7 overnight)

At least we’ve not had any more snow. The main roads are all gritted and clear. Everywhere off the main roads is an ice rink

pedlad

matt_outandabout
    Usual numpties out – who’s VW bus is this?

Classic example of why winter tyres or even 4 season are so much better – just because you can get your 1-2 ton car moving doesn’t mean you should. They’re just passengers. Not too much snow around here but I’ll not be going out in the 4wd e-SUV on wide summer tyres if I can help it as wife’s knackered old hatchback has cross climates on.

theotherjonv

what’s it like around Oxford / M40 and up to Warwick/Leam – have to go and get daughter from University today.

tintim

That crunch clip was Leckhampton Hill, Cheltenham. No surprises there!

grahamt1980

A good 5cm or so in Bedfordshire.
    I walked the dog and am not planning on going out in the car. No decent parking areas without bollards to play in

binners

Usual numpties out

We live at the bottom of a 25% gradient.

Every year when it snows they put a ‘road closed’ sign out to shut the road

Every year when it snows someone moves the ‘road closed’ sign and tries to drive down the hill

Every year when it snows the person who moved the ‘road closed’ sign and tried to drive down the hill, bounces off the walls all the way down then comes to a halt as they demolish the wall at the bottom (again!) normally having collected a couple of parked cars en route

The road then remains closed as theres no way they can get recovery trucks up to move the wreckage

It is ALWAYS somebody in a BMW X5, or similar, who think that having 4WD means that the laws of physics no longer apply to them 🙄

fossy

Great twitter video – and there is a chap on a bike riding no problem !

marcg868
    Free Member

Rishton East Lancs minus 5 and freezing fog this morning. Luckily house was a toasty 18 Celsius so that got boosted to 21, probably cost £20 for that half an hour.
    Pavements and side streets resemble Blackburn ice rink. Main roads not too bad.

tintim

There appears to be an extended version available on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPBsVEvpkk0

Funny how one of the commenters focuses on the mountain bike rider having no issues at all.

ratherbeintobago

They’re just passengers.

Aye – wheelspinning merrily until they realise they’re out of control, and which point they brake and carry on sliding with the wheels not turning.

I think one of the roads police officers on Twitter has suggested most of the driving in that video would meet the criteria for “driving without due care & attention”

oldfart

Watching that clip it’s reassuring that no matter the weather or conditions you’ll always see some @@@@ on a bike 👍😁

the-muffin-man

Funny how one of the commenters focuses on the mountain bike rider having no issues at all.

…have we got the video of him sliding on his arse on the way back down!! 🤣🤣

fossy

I remember 2010 when I was just about the only person to make it to the office. We’d had about 6″ of snow in a short space of time. Got up, went outside, and the neighbour said, we’re going no-where today ! I said, I’ll get my bike out. I was about 30 mins late for work, hard going through 6″ of fresh snow. Just about thawed out, and work decided to close for the day, so I phoned home and said I’ll be late back – took the long route home ! That’s when I ordered Snow Studs !

fossy

My wife had Cross Climate’s fitted last month. Got to use them properly on Saturday – miles better than standard tyres in the snow – you just stopped, and started like there was none !

ratherbeintobago

Aye, in the Pennines we usually have winter tyres on Nov-Mar. Not deep snow but various boring family cars have got through safely when people in SUVs are sat there with wheels spinning.

tintim
    blitz

We’re not on mains gas but have a Butane cyclinder that sits outside behind our kitchen wall with a feed through to the hob. I learned the hard way today that the boiling point of Butane is around -0.5C and below that it remains in liquid state. First time it’s stopped working since we’ve been here. Cyclinder now sitting in the house warming up.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 2,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.