Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • pease
    Free Member

thanks still s8tannorm. i only had my first wild camp this winter. camped by llyn cai on cadair idris. was amazing, spent most of the night wondering why i hadnt done it before..
    this year i will be out as much as possible and will be bikepacking too. cant wait :)

Shinythings
    Free Member

Pit and clothing on rack, victuals and cooker in frame bag and mat and bivvy bag up front. Will make a better handlebar bag this week.
    Get the feeling that weather could be tricky next weekend.

nikk
    Free Member

This thread was a great inspiration to me last year, I did a 3 day trip in the summer, you can read about it at http://niksbikingblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/loch-shiel-and-loch-morar-highland.html

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

This thread was a great inspiration to me last year, I did a 3 day trip in the summer

Everything comes full circle … your adventures have set me on the path of ‘packdinghying’* for the coming months.

*I can’t afford a packraft but figure a dinghy will suffice for now :D

nikk
    Free Member

Nice one still s8tannorm!

Not sure what kind of floats you have in mind, but http://flyweightdesigns do an ultralight packraft. Not certain what a bike would be like on that.

Sevylor do standard cheep dinghys, there was one design (can’t remember the model) that people used as a cheap packraft. The main problem with them apparently was the emergency deflate “feature”, whereby a tie down would rip off the hull mid float, deflating the raft in seconds.

The good thing with the Alpacka ones is they are fairly bombproof. I have had mine in 4 foot surf, and grade 3 / 4 whitewater, and it has never skipped a beat. They are expensive yes, but if you can reach to it, worth it.

Just uploading a video of my trip…

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Wow it’s been resurrected :D

Pease we’ll sort a lfew trips out locally, you’ll be addicted before you know it :lol:

pease
    Free Member

defo valleydaddy. cant wait :D

Ambrose

Pete/ pease- the bivvi spot close to Sarn Helen is hard to beat. Loads of firewood too.

I spent a frosty night there with Thomas (boy 2) a while back. Two slleping bags for him, plus a goretex bivvi bag. Star filled night. Lovely fry up for breakfast in the morning :)

pease
    Free Member

sounds good ambrose 8)

taffer
    Free Member

Found this thread just by googling around for frame bags, have been hooked to it for days. Such an amazing source of information ! Is it possible to obtain a print version of all the pages at once ? Thx !!

slugwash
    Free Member

Is it possible to obtain a print version of all the pages at once ?

I dunno but now this thread’s popped up again I think it needs some piccies from the recent Mach ‘n Back bikepacking event….

Shinything’s bivi bed socks….

Bikes at the finish…

Filtering water at the overnight camp…

Chew….

… and two dead mink…

andrewy

Nice pics – did you make some bedsocks from the mink :-)

taffer
    Free Member

I dunno but now this thread’s popped up again I think it needs some piccies from the recent Mach ‘n Back bikepacking event….

Fair enough for me ! Keep ’em coming ! :D

ontor
    Free Member

Hmmm – How about a Dartmoor event – anyone?

instanthit
    Free Member

Im up for a Dartmoor event. What were you thinking ontor?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Great to see this thread still alive! I posted some pics of my original frame bags from Revelate on the first page of this thread & thought I should post an updated one with my new Wildcat frame bag (oh, and new bike..long story). I popped over to Wildcat HQ a couple of weeks ago & I have to say, this stuff is (at the very least) right up there with Revelate. In fact I reckon Wildcat’s handlebar harness is a better design.

More pics

ontor
    Free Member

Just wondering about a “start wherever you like, meet here for beer, ride off next day to here for more beer then home” type thing

mustard
    Free Member

Pedalhead – what are your bottle cages and are they any good? There aren’t many options out there for side loaders…

pedalhead
    Free Member

Specialized Zee cages. I haven’t had them long but they seem quite solid & aren’t too heavy (42 grams on my scales). I like these side loaders in particular as they have the full circle of plastic around the bottom which many don’t seem to have.

mustard
    Free Member

Ta, will have a look. A little bit cheaper than the Arundels I was looking at before :D

pedalhead
    Free Member

crikey yeah just a bit cheaper!

mustard
    Free Member

But you know your Pegasus deserves the Arundels :twisted:

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Frame bag looks good Mark – what kind of capacity does it have? Single compartment as well?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers Adam. Yep it’s single compartment. We thought about going with a divider but tbh it’s not really necessary. I can get my 750ml cooking pot in there near the seatpost end of the bag & still close the zip, which is a bit of a result. Should definitely be enough space for the odds & sods it’ll be carrying. It’s also got an external zipped pocket on the left side for documents etc.

I’ve been getting bivy-curious again lately & just today received what I think is finally going to be my ultralight bivy of choice, an MLD Soul. 330 grams, fully waterproof & breathable, with integrated bug net. Also got a small “dog” tarp for when it’s due to be really filthy.

I think we need to get together for some overnighters before WRT :-)

pedalhead
    Free Member

But you know your Pegasus deserves the Arundels

heh well I’m a bit suspicious of carbon cages for a bike I lug about the place a lot. I managed to put my elbow through a carbon cage on my road bike after a slip when walking with it :cry:

mustard
    Free Member

I managed to put my elbow through a carbon cage on my road bike

Sounds like you had a lucky escape and the barbs didn’t make it all the way to your heart :lol:

I think compartmentalising frame bags just limits your versatility; I don’t have any issues with my full size frame bag being one big space. That reminds me, must get my sewing machine up and running.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I think we need to get together for some overnighters before WRT

Yep, agree with that! I’ve got a few new bits and pieces to try out as well.

slugwash
    Free Member

Hmmm – How about a Dartmoor event – anyone?

I was thinking of sorting out a low-key, checkpoint based bivi ride in that neck of the woods in late April/early May.

Maybe with riders having the chance to start in differing locations but ending up in the same location (pub) before the heading off for the overnight camp.

Anyone interested? What do ya think ?

Mattie_H
    Free Member

crispedwheel – Member
    I think we need to get together for some overnighters before WRT

Yep, agree with that! I’ve got a few new bits and pieces to try out as well.

+ 2

You’re going through bivvy bags faster than I go through pies on a non-iDave day Mark.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Potentially very interested in that Slugwash

Tiger6791

Oh go on then

pedalhead
    Free Member

yup Dartmoor could be fun if I can get the time away. Haven’t ridden down there for ages but lots of good stuff as I recall.

You’re going through bivvy bags faster than I go through pies on a non-iDave day Mark.

:lol: I think I’m there now with the bivy bag, although not totally happy with my sleeping mat. I think I need to switch off the internet…

Mattie_H
    Free Member

What mat are you on now? I was out with my POE Peak Elite AC just before Christmas: very comfortable and warm but it kept deflating on me…

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve got a Peak Elite AC 2/3 and a regular Neoair. I find the latter more comfortable but would like a short one :roll:

Bummer about your leaky mat. Can you send it back?

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Probably not: I bought it when my back was screwed (ahem) so there was about six months between purchase and first use. Going on the Thermarests I’ve had they’re normally fixable.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I’ve got a Peak Elite AC 2/3

I feel the need to be ‘opportunistic’ again… :wink:

pedalhead
    Free Member

I feel the need to be ‘opportunistic’ again…

Let’s talk… :lol:

Probably not: I bought it when my back was screwed (ahem) so there was about six months between purchase and first use. Going on the Thermarests I’ve had they’re normally fixable.

I think I read that the original batch of full length Peak Elites had issues with leaking air from the welded seams. If it’s a known issue it might be worth going back to them & see what they say?

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Ha! Crispedwheel is up to his old tricks…

Interesting about the seams. I guess it could be that though would need to do the bath check to work out properly. Would last June count as the first batch though? I thought it had been out for a while by then.

Meant to say as well: I’m expecting my new frame to arrive at some point this week. Once it’s here and I’ve had chance to see if your bag fits I should be able to either get it back to you / opportunistically take it off your hands.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Super! Could be a happy ending for all :-)

Mattie_H
    Free Member

For sure! Just seen that thread about the POE mats: bloody hell…

Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.