Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Sibling favouritism experiences
  • pk13

My sister still gets her washing done at home at 45 years old. Number 1 daughter and number 1 grandson.
    I’m not too fussed but my wife’s gets a bit iffy over the grand kid issue.

jamj1974

I love the subtlety of Yunki’s posts! 🙂

Kryton57

jamj1974 – Member
    I love the subtlety of Yunki’s posts!

Arse, have I missed something an overreacted – again? 😐

I don’t think my parents meant to treat me and my brother differently

In some respects I think this and as I’ve grown up, worked, had to manage my own self and had kids I’m aware that times when I was young were much harder for them than they are now for me, which is which its taken this long to close the door – I felt I learned that it wasn’t all there deliberate doing, just circumstance. However, whether now embedded or actually deliberate why continue with this displays of favortism when neither sibling is dependant on them?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

However, whether now embedded or actually deliberate why continue with this displays of favortism when neither sibling is dependant on them?

Because people are arseholes like that. It will be something you did or didn’t do…..perhaps you don’t offer them enough narcissistic supply….probably….maybe…..

ste_t
    Free Member

My mum decided to make me homeless when I was 17. My parents then paid (fully) to put my older sister through University (twice,) and bought my younger sister a new flat a couple of years later.

I’ve always had an inkling I was the least favourithe.

But then I’ve turned out a damn sight more successful and less of a scrounger than my sisters so can’t really grumble.

Edit: and I currently have 3 bikes so I’m definitely the winner

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m finding reading this thread and the recent thread on not having kids quite an eye opener. So much evidence of resentment that a lot of the “best thing I ever did” statements at the dewey eyed moments of first solid pooh/steps/bike ride etc will end up being swapped for internalised regret and bitterness from either side of the relationship.

Me, both treated equally but she got a riding holiday but felt the fishing rod I received was somehow ‘not fair’ so she stood on it. No evidence at the time but I know it was her even though she refuses to admit it even now. 😈

Kryton57

Because people are arseholes like that. It will be something you did or didn’t do…..perhaps you don’t offer them enough narcissistic supply….probably….maybe…..

The odd thing is it’s obvious it’s not consciously deliberate, more like subconsciously incompetent.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

This reminds me….you lot will love the series Bloodline.

It’s all about this kind of stuff, so it might be cathartic.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWL0UcXUXSE[/video]

orangeorange
    Free Member

I’m the middle child of 3,both my older Sister and younger Brother have needed parents help in many ways whereas I never have.I’m very close to my siblings still and it doesn’t bother me in the slightest,and never has either.I’m just glad they’ve had parents to help them,if you think about it its an issue that many folk without parents still alive would love to have…

jamj1974

Arse, have I missed something an overreacted – again?

No, you didn’t chap. Yunki is quite ‘direct’! I was being sarcastic. Lowest form of wit and all that – sorry! 😕

jamj1974

Feel very lucky reading some of this. Mrs JAMJ’s parents treated all the children very fairly – they all got varying support depending on what was needed – but the all knew it was there. In fact my mother in law took another job so my wife could go to university as they were not well off at all (My now wife worked too!) and lent hard-earned money to my BiL to start a business and delayed her retirement. A truly remarkable and lovely person.

My parents were pretty good all in. I remember resenting a couple of things where my brother and I were treated differently as we grew up, sometimes it seemed he was spoilt and in particular his housing and domestic costs were met when he was at university, whilst I supported myself and also helped him out with stuff for biking etc… A bit later I realised that my dad spoilt my brother with things but probably to compensate when he wasn’t there as much as he was for me. Also by the time my brother went to university, my mum was in a different place financially.

Now of course, I have realised how much my parents did for me and am so glad I have been able to appreciate that and thank them whilst I could.

BigDummy
    Free Member

”Your only leverage over your parents as an adult child is your presence in their lives”

Dan Savage, talking about coming out to your parents. But I think the basic point about handling adult relationships with parents is of general application.

🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

my brother is a big hitter on here. my parents like me more but the internet likes him more. who wins? (I have more bikes but they’re rubbish.)

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Sibling favouritism experiences’ is closed to new replies.