Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 217 total)
  • Show us your tin tents
  • CountZero

I really, really want one of these, fully kitted out inside as a camper. Yes, it is a 6×6!

I’d like to see one of those swanky shiny boxes do this…

CountZero

Tents take fricken hours to put up and take down, pack all the shit in the car etc.

No, it doesn’t, with the right sort of tent. I have one of the Decathlon inflatable tents that can sleep four. Including putting down the footprint, it took me twenty minutes to put it up from the time I found my ideal pitch at Greenman, to sitting out front watching everyone else fannying around.
    It did take a wee bit longer to pack up, but I was on my own, so took maybe 45 minutes, but everything was wet, so I was trying to get as much water off as I could before packing it all up.
    My folks used to caravan a lot, did it for many years, and I went with them until I left my teens, and I reckon I could pitch my Decathlon tent in about the same time as my folks took the get the van parked and everything set up.

anagallis_arvensis

I reckon I could pitch my Decathlon tent in about the same time as my folks took the get the van parked and everything set up.

But then they have a table, comfy chairs, comfy bed, fridge, cooker and sink with running water.
    You have a tent.

jkomo

OP I think I was following you toward Woolacombe earlier in the month. You were certainly not holding anyone up. Nice set up but I’d shit myself towing something that big.

Countzero- Greenman line up this year is frikin awesome, can’t wait!

DezB
    Free Member

Timely- Countryfile feature on caravans on right now!

CountZero

But then they have a table, comfy chairs, comfy bed, fridge, cooker and sink with running water.

I have a comfy chair, a very comfy double self-inflating mattress and a lovely warm sleeping bag. When I camped for nine days in Devon a few years ago, it was with a much smaller tent, but I had running water, a tap a few feet away, a proper loo with wash basin close by, and I had a small wood stove that I pretty much had going with a kettle simmering all day for tea when I was sat outside reading, otherwise I was out walking.
    Cooking, however, was left to the kitchen of the pub in the village where I could be found every evening.
    B&B in the pub, £75/night, my camping spot, £10/night.
    I had a wonderful time, never did it before, and I’m in my 60’s…
    P.s. I don’t do cooking…

parkesie
    Free Member

Those pinz 6×6 things are just horrid to drive and so cramped inside. I’d not want to try and live out of one no mater how cool it looks .

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a comfy chair, a very comfy double self-inflating mattress and a lovely warm sleeping bag. When I camped for nine days in Devon a few years ago, it was with a much smaller tent, but I had running water, a tap a few feet away, a proper loo with wash basin close by, and I had a small wood stove that I pretty much had going with a kettle simmering all day for tea when I was sat outside reading, otherwise I was out walking.

Mmm, you can tent camp in reasonable comfort, but speaking as someone who’s done all manner of camping as well as caravanning, the latter is far nicer. I have:

– pocket springs and a duvet
    – a wardrobe in front of which I can stand to get dressed
    – a toilet in the van so I don’t have to go for a walk to pee
    – my own washing up facilities
    – an electric toaster
    – hard walls and ceiling, so when it’s windy and rainy you just hear gentle sounds
    – an actual sofa

Don’t get me wrong – there are clear downsides to caravanning, but there’s no question it’s miles more comfortable than tent camping.

mick_r

It isn’t a Pinz – it is a Volvo C304 / C306 (or 4×4 one is C303). Much simpler suspension, chassis and drive train but still portal hubs and diff locks. Newer ones have rustproof “aluzinc” body.

I really want it’s older / smaller brother L3314 / C202.

This is the place to find one
    https://mobil.blocket.se/annonser/hela_sverige/fordon/bilar?cb=41&cbl1=0&cbl2=0&cg=1020&f=p

Still probably not much room for a camper, and probably not much point unless heading to Iceland / Africa. But I still want one 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I have 4 tents & a caravan, all the tents are ‘for sale’ (meaning I want shot of them) The caravan isn’t.
    I grew up camping with my Mum & Dad, cos that’s all we could afford to do & I loved every trip. Every trip gave me a love for the outdoors that lives with me still, along with great memories.
    However, I’ll take the caravan over a tent anyday now, & the only reason I’m keeping the sleeping bag & cooking gear is for bothy trips!

Drac

B&B in the pub, £75/night, my camping spot, £10/night.

At that price there’s no competition. Pub it is.

olly2097
    Free Member

I also have two tents and a Berlingo camper box/bed
    Just incase. But when we go away and it’s mid November and it’s hammering down with rain at 9pm; I’d much rather be lying on the sofa, next to the fridge of beer with the heating on watching Netflix than sleeping in a tent or a converted panel van.

You all need to try it in a modern caravan before dismissing it.

shinton
    Free Member

Tedious Drac, tedious.

One of the best threads on the forum for a good while. We’re leaning towards a van rather than a caravan and I get the issue of having to pack everything up. I’m wondering if a cheap urban ebike alongside the proper bikes is a part solution to that problem.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

At that price there’s no competition. Pub it is.

£65 for a family room at a yh, ye can keep yer tents, tin or otherwise. 😊

TheBrick
    Free Member

– pocket springs and a duvet

All caravaners are fat nd need pocket springs. I like a hard bed.

– a wardrobe in front of which I can stand to get dressed

I can stand in front of other furniture to get dressed.

– a toilet in the van so I don’t have to go for a walk to pee

Piss jug, shit tray.

– my own washing up facilities

See above.

– an electric toaster

Posh. I don’t even have that at home!

– hard walls and ceiling, so when it’s windy and rainy you just hear gentle sounds

Please keep my flactuence problem out of this.

– an actual sofa

I use coffe shops for sofas if there are no codfe shops I go to DFS and pretend to be testing a sofa.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Shunton, everything is a comprises. I have a mid sized van and tent. Bed gets set-up in tent and stuff left there. Cooking in / out of back of van. Minimises pack up but would not work for everyone.

avdave2

I’d love one of those base camp type vans, bit of comfort but really still feels like you are living outside which is a big part of the appeal for me. The big thing though is it can always sit ready to go which is less easy with camping kit.

scotroutes

I’d much rather be lying on the sofa, next to the fridge of beer with the heating on watching Netflix than sleeping in a tent or a converted panel van.

FWIW my converted panel van has a sofa, a fridge and a heater.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I really, really want one of these, fully kitted out inside as a camper. Yes, it is a 6×6!

are you three foot tall ?

as the rain rolled in on saturday night at 10 under the ben i was quite happy to climb into the post bus(a converted Southern england parcel force 7.2m van – a 9k van with a 13k conversion @80k miles) says the original receipts – but bought for significantly less than that, turn on the heating and climb the ladder into my bed – rather than sleep on the rocks. – dont get me wrong i like camping but its a very different type of holiday.

the van is an alternative accomodation to my house.

a tent is a tent – to be used when you need to carry your house on your back/yourbike/an experiance/travel light and fast.

the van is just a ready to roll home from home – we use it for holidays, when we go to races, gigs , visiting family , when family visit us , going to parties , weddings etc etc.

grtdkad
    Free Member

Fifth Gear did a really good Camper vs Tourer challenge a year or two ago.

Camper was better for car-like manoeuvrability, caravan was better for comfort. Who knew?

OP, your van (inside) looks nicer than my house!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Camper was better for car-like manoeuvrability, caravan for comfort. Who knew?

That’s just two of the compromises!
    If (big if) I was say, going to do a lot of continental touring & need to cover big distances, I’d probably prefer a camper/MH, but for what we do in the UK a caravan is easily the best option. Another compromise is fuel consumption. With a MH you’ll get what 30 ish mpg all the time? & a T5 maybe a fair bit more I expect (but then you lack the space, another compromise) Our Xtrail does 30mpg with the tin tent on the back & 45 without it, so when your’e mooching around down country lanes…..etc etc.
    As an aside, how many MH’s do you see on folks drives that hardly move? There’s one round the corner from us that I have to pass to get out of the estate, they got it new in 2016 & I’ve noticed it missing about 5 or 6 times. (My mate uses his a good bit more mind) I can’t understand folk who spend 40K + to have something stood on the drive.
    ‘Because they can afford to’ I suppose.

zippykona

OP. On average how many nights does your van stay in one place? Is it on a building site? Will it stay as clean as it is  ? Do all your work mates assume they can stay in it?

If that was mine it would be full of every low life and his mate within seconds.

onehundredthidiot

Our tab is great behind the van, knocks the mpg to about 35mpg on a long run. In France this summer it’s outdoor living if weather good and waterproof if not. Takes about 30mins to set up for a two week stay. Means I can have 4bikes in the van and not have to worry about space. The fact the transporter is longer than the caravan always amuses those in the huge tourers.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If that was mine it would be full of every low life and his mate within seconds.

Only if you let them.

Is your house equally invaded by ne’er do wells?

funkrodent

Great thread. About to stick my toe in the water of the caravan world with a very 2nd hand Trigano trailer tent. On the face of it looks like a great compromise between tent and full caravan, though whether it’s the best, or worst, of both worlds remains to be seen! Camper in question owned for some years by friends, so no issues with being done and we’re getting it for a song, so can’t really lose. Opportunity for family with three kids and a dog to try it out, if we like will probably go down the full caravan route.

I can understand the different opinions, but I see the advantages of towing your holiday abode as follows:

– Cheaper than holiday cottages/hotels. No more need to spend hours agonising over this cottage or that hotel, and booking months in advance. Just hitch and go.

– Way closer to nature (for the most part), opportunity to stay in myriad of amazing scenic places, for little money

– Much, much more sociable if you have kids.

– Better on rainy/wet/windy days than a tent. Done lots of camping back in the day, but the thought of two teens and a four year old and a dog (not to mention my missus) cooped up in a small tent with crappy folding seats (tall people with bad backs don’t like folding seats), knocking over the cooker and treading in the butter and getting damper and crosser by the minute fills me with dread. Not to say that none of the above could happen in a caravan, but at least it’s more solid, dryer and more comfortable

– As said above, easy to uncouple car and sally forth, unlike with van (unless you’re one of those who can afford to tow a Smart car behind your massive motorhome, in which case good luck to you

Picking up the Trigano this weekend, so may well post again contradicting all of the above in the near future..

tjagain

Problem with caravans? apart for the usual clogging up the roads stuff. Campsites. You cannot wild camp in a caravan. You cannot get to the really nice places. 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2czSMeb]DSC_0505[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/sGZTSs]09 sat morning[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

trailwagger
    Free Member

– Much, much more sociable if you have kids.

This x 1 million.

Also this thread

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/caravans/

funkrodent

Just checked, and apparently we’re getting a Folding camper, NOT a trailer tent. Which is nice as the folding camper looks a lot nicerer.

You cannot wild camp in a caravan. You cannot get to the really nice places.

Mostly true, though I’d say “some” of the really nice places. Horses for courses though, you can take your folding camper (in my case) and then head off for a day or two with the 2 man on your back (or strapped to your bike) if you want to go proper wild like. Beauty is for relatively little dosh you can own both a nice caravan and a decent tent!

anagallis_arvensis

You cannot get to the really nice places.

Yes but you can own a tent too!!

johndoh
    Free Member

my camping spot, £10/night.

Plus the cost of the camping equipment – unless you are into back to basics camping, you could easily spend £1k getting all the stuff you need.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you could easily spend £1k getting all the stuff you <s>need</s> think you need /want .

I have no issue with caravans.

What grinds my gears is people who turn up and spend an hour errecting a tent off the side of what ever they want to sleep in. -surely you’d have been as well just bringing a tent only.

TheBrick
    Free Member

But if you buy sensibly that cost is split over many nights. We bought our first light tent and camping gear about 15 years ago. Initial spend £300 for 2 people used it for 12+ years added some bits maybe another 200£. Had a baby bought another few bits and bigger tent. Another 300£. So £800 over 15 years mini 14 nights a year. 800/210 = £3.80 a night.

If you wanted to go down the caravan route I bet you could set up for £3k without too much trouble. If you got 5 years from the kit sold the caravan for £1k, averaged 14 nights a year £27.57 a night on top of site fees. So cheap when it comes to family accomodation.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You cannot wild camp in a caravan. You cannot get to the really nice places. 😉

That’s what bothies are for Jeremy. You simply park your caravan/MH/camper & ride off to chosen bothy!

Our Vango Kalari inflatable awning goes up in about 15/20 mins & doubles the size of the space we have, sitting out, storage etc.

tjagain

Nah – bothies are where you meet drunken Neds 😉

tjagain

One thing I have found with camper vns that I assume applies to caravans as well( I have had a good few holidays in campers) if you are not careful you never speak to others. You have your cold beer waiting in the van. you can cook a nice dinner, you don’t bother going to the bar, you never speak to others.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

you never speak to others.

We do! (unless theyr’e ‘nerdy’ caravanners, like the one’s who go to every caravan rally going & LOVE to tell you all about them)

Nah – bothies are where you meet drunken Neds 😉

Was that Camban or Meanach? 😉

TheBrick
    Free Member

if you are not careful you never speak to others.

Screw it you have sold it for me I am selling my rent and buying a caravan

Nope, definitely can’t get to nice spots in a caravan 🤔

Somewhere in Scotland

And sister in law lives here – Ardnamurchan, will be visiting soon

Ardnamurchan

andylc
    Free Member

I can see the possibility (when I’m old) of having a caravan somewhere really nice eg near a beach in Pembrokeshire. Right now I prefer the camper van, which we can take all over the place, wild camp most of the time and occasionally use a camp site when we feel like it. Other than that I really love proper wild camping across Dartmoor, with everything on your back and a few days in the proper wilds.
    As far as the faff of packing everything in the camper I kind of like having everything organised and contracting your life down for a week or so.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 217 total)

The topic ‘Show us your tin tents’ is closed to new replies.