Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)
  • Show us your campers
  • Mine and the missus' home sweet home when in NZ for 2 months.
    home

and the view wasnt bad

Fluff66
    Free Member

Our T25 up in Highlands

and on the N coast

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WTF are those hairy things? That looks well dodgy. I can see how a vayn is an advantage, nay, a must in such situations! 😯

Imagine if you were in a tent? You'd probably get eaten.

sweepy
    Free Member

Theyre Haggis mate 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Knew it! People say I don't know nothing about the countryside and that, but I know loads of stuff. And I know a Haggis when I see one. I'm not stupid.

Bloody dangerous that. Could have yer arm off no problem.

alpin
    Free Member

i spent the night with a couple of girls in an old T3 the other night beside Lago di Garda.

the shocks were in full working order….. bit cramped though.

Spongebob
    Free Member

However nothing beats coming back to the campsite after a long day out and cracking a cold beer from the fridge. Can't get that with a tent – the beer is always warm!

Yes you can! I always take a fridge when we go camping.

Mog
    Free Member

Susie – Member
    Mog, do you just lock your bikes to the rack overnight then? We were wondering about storing bikes under the bed. How reliable are the VW's?

Yep, locked to the rack – never had any problems in around 6 years of events, days out etc… Don't think you'd fit any bikes under the bed, unless you practically dismantles them. Ours has been very reliable. It's 1998, 120,000 miles – we only service it annually when it gets MOT'd. Don't to crazy miles in it though – gets used around twice a week for work/supermarket duties and then most weekends away.

Mog
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member
    mogs van for the win.

its what mine aspires to be.

what cab bunk do you have/use? very interested as the small nipper needs one soon and the ones i've seen for t4 have been crap.

We got ours from a guy of the T4Forum who was making them just for members. You can choose whatever material you like or send him some to match whatever you like. The frame sits on the door cards – v.secure, the girls love it. I won't tell you how much he charged me in case his prices have changed – he does it just for the members on the site though so I bet he's still cheaper than most places. You're right though, some are really flimsy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not knocking it, and I'm sure it must be nice to have and that, but doesn't it kind of defeat the object of getting out into the countryside, when you bring a small house with you?

In a camper van or caravan, you can sleep cosy, warm and dry, you can get up, make tea and breakfast in a real kitchen, sit on a sofa, eat at a table, make toast, get dressed standing up, drink cold drinks etc etc and still pack it all away in 15 minutes and drive off. The point about being in the countryside is just that, being in the countryside – sleeping on the floor in a bag doesn't have to be part of it. You can still thrown open the door and gaze across some new mountain vista just like you can in a tent, but it's way way more comfortable.

I'd love a camper van, the only reason I like carvans is that the standard of available accomodation is way way better for the money. Plus, I am beginning to think you generally get more living space in a caravan.

BandySteve
    Free Member

I registered to post this! Often had a nose around but never felt the need to comment.

Anyway, we have a T5 Kombi (rear seats that can be removed) and we did a basic conversion which suits us. It's by no means a camper but we can store the bikes inside and sleep in there (more a tent on wheels – think electric cool box and camping stove rather than built in units). Unfortunately no pictures to hand, I'll see what I've got later.

Attempt at a description:
    We have made use of the fact the rear seat folds flat and built a platform behind at the same level using scaffold poles and carpeted ply. The scafold poles mean no central support is required. This leaves sufficient room to slide 2 bikes under (stacked), with front wheels removed (easiest if pedals are removed too), plus several boxes and bags.

Great thing is the platform is easily removed and we can then use it as a 5 seater, a van, etc. It's our only car so needs to be versatile.

One thing I would do differently next time – put some karrimat under the carpet on the ply bed – ply is very unforgiving.

Steve

landcruiser
    Free Member

To sum up. If it's small it's like a car, and you can drive it everywhere, however it probably will not have secure storage, a toilet, shower and luxury stuff for extended or remote trips; but you can sleep, cook, and wash in it! so it depends upon what your intended use is. life is a compromise !

Susie
    Free Member

Steve, we'd be very interested in seeing photos if you've got any.

NickyB, did you buy that out there and sell it on when you came home? We're planning on going to New Zealand too, but are thinking of doing that as a bike tour.

trailertrash

I engineered this for the BAR Formula 1 team in 1998/9

BAR F1 mobile hospitaity suite

Spongebob
    Free Member

Now that is just ridiculous! 😆

DrJ

Baah – get yourselves a proper size camper !!

DrJ

Bourgeois lot!! Here is a real camper!!

farmer-giles
    Free Member

i thought todmorden looked better than that on the tv this morning?

VanHalen

mog,

i've seen that one. it doesnt collapse very small does it? i see storage as a problem we have a 3 seat variotech so i'm not sure where i could store something that long permanently. i need to put some thought into it. i'm sure there is a better way.

we got a T4 as its our only vehicle. damn good it is too. and reliable so far.

bikes chained to hte rack or locked inside/underneath if going away for the day.

BandySteve
    Free Member

Susie,

Finally got round to looking out those images – turns out I don't take many inside the van! However the following three give an idea of how it works

In this you can see the half(ish) height platform and can just see the rear of the two scaffold poles supporting it underneath:

This is the platform with a double thermarest on it and the rear seat folded down

Here you can see the rear seat up

The bikes are on the driver side underneath the 70's orange sheet (parents old curtains). Certainly not super quick getting the bikes out – you wouldn't bother for popping to the shops but not offputting for proper rides

By the way – don't get black if you can help it – very warm!

Hope that helps a bit.

Steve

easy Susie,

Nah we rented it, the risk of buying one and then being liable for all the repairs if it turns out to be a nail worried me. If you hiring on I would recommend doing what we did and hiring a panel van not a camper van out there as the campers are pretty pricey and you cant get the bikes in without taking em to bits unless you buy a big one. We got a minibus that the owner took the seats out of and blacked the windows up? Just took a gas stove and bought crap pans and stuff out there. Washed in the sea yadda yadda yadda. If you want the company that we useds contacts message me.

Nick

postierich
    Free Member
    Susie
    Free Member

Thanks for posting those Steve.

Nick – YGM

Postierich – I think I might have seen yours at Birches Valley car park.

Brycey
    Free Member

BandySteve

Loving your T5, and your set up is exactly as I'd been thinking as I'm committed to a 5 seater for car allowance reasons.

Do you reckon a set up where the bikes sat upright with the front wheel (and potentially saddle/seatpost) removed would be too high to get a bed deck like yours above? I've farted about with mates Transporters, and it's hard to say without actually building it. I've got a Caddy Maxi just now do would have to swap before I could be let loose with tools and scaffold poles! I appreciate the back seat would need to come out.

Cheers

grahamt1980

Jupiter – that site is mental, but how cool would it be to have one of those

thekingofsweden

My westy they are the best fact 🙂

and for old times the type 2

sweepy
    Free Member

Postierich, love that mate, but ive always thought they looked a bit snug for two on an extended trip, how do you find it?

sweepy
    Free Member

See, there. In my heart I like the old campers. But then you see one of the modern ones and it all looks so comfortable and easy to live with.

Nick

those big vans must be a nightmare to drive around pembrokeshire, devon, cornwall etc

BandySteve
    Free Member

Brycey,

Not sure I can't see that working – well not easily or comfortably – depends how much breathing room you want!

We happily fit upto 6 bikes in the back behind the rear seats – inverted with front wheels removed and there doesn't seem to be much space above them.

I guess if you removed the saddle and/or rear wheel you would then just be constrained by the handlebar to axle length. VW website gives the internal height as 1410mm (http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/transporter/dimensions/).
    It might just work!

Other things to consider: You would need the platform to extend to the rear seat area unless you are very short! However, in the kombi you obviously have rear windows in that area thereby making support attachment a tad tricky. I simply screwed a short length of 4×2, with a notch cut out, to the ply side panel so the weight on the scaffold poles is transfered to the floor. In the window area, I'm not sure how this would work (mine only has to go as far as the rear seat).
    Would a long wheelbase version help….?

Alternative would be to go for a poptop roof/bed (about 5/6K fitted I think).

BandySteve
    Free Member

thekingofsweden,

Swivel front seats – nice – always been tempted to fit those. Can they slide any closer to the front of the van? In the kombi the rear seat is fixed (albeit with decent leg room compared to most cars) and therefore you might end up knocking knees if they go where your picture above shows…

Cheers,
    Steve

postierich
    Free Member

Sweepy tis snug with 3 of us thats why we have a drive away awning to cook/chill but we all sleep in the bus.
    Susie yep BV regular.

Been off the road for the last 6 weeks due to white van man ramming me but its all good now 😀

Brycey
    Free Member

Cheers BandySteve, I reckon you're right. I suppose a high roof one would be an option, but then you've got all the ferry and car park issues (and they don't look as good!). I reckon you're current set-up is the way to go.

PS My mate has a Kombi with two revolving front seats, works a treat.

yoshimi

BandySteve – is your misses in the process of building a huge joint in that photo?

Rik
    Free Member

Brycey – I'll email you at lunch with an alternative set up for your Caddy, that we use in ours now we have it.

BandySteve
    Free Member

Brycey,

I was actually thinking of the pop-up (tent sided) roof rather than a high top.

The pop-up roof (when down) is no different in height to the normal van – maybe a few mm depending upon which version you go for.

Thinking about one ourselves, but really not looked into it properly yet.

Steve

Brycey
    Free Member

Rik, that would be great. rbryce at harsco dot com. Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Postierich wins. Easily. 🙂

Every time I see a Bay, I want my old '72 Danbury back. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Show us your campers’ is closed to new replies.