• This topic has 153 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by bol.
Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • Show me your TITANIUM loveliness
  • chunkypaul
    Free Member

Matta
    Free Member

Needs some t.l.c

chunkypaul
    Free Member

shortbaldone
    Free Member

think i could get away with swapping my 100mm durin race for some 120mm front forks on this?

psychle
    Free Member

it's been said before, but that head angle just looks wrong? Maybe it's just the photo, but looks seriously steep?

mocha
    Free Member

maybe they could put some longer forks on it and that would slacken it off a bit? 😉

shortbaldone
    Free Member

previous pic with my fox forks on, does it look more "right" then? be unusual for independant fabrication to get something wrong in terms of fundemental wouldnt it?

psychle
    Free Member

still looks steep, but seems better… aren't IF all custom jobbies? so the headangle would be specified by the purchaser?

edd

Independent Fabrication's "standard" angles (click here) are 71.5 degree head angle and 72 degree seat angle. "Industry standard" angles (on an XC hardtail) would be 71 degree head angle and 73 degree seat angle.

What this means is that by default Indy Fab builds with a steep head angle and a slack seat angle which gives a unique and ride (they ride great).

That said as psychle said they're all custom so you can have whatever you want. My steel Indy Fab has a 73 degree seat angle and a 69.5 degree head angle because that's what I asked for.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

i had it custom made yes, but measurements and riding style and type etc given to IF and they work the rest out, see what you mean about being a bit on the steep side, i know it was tight to get me standover building around 100mm fork that i wanted, would this contribute to the angle requirement, and if i was to fit a 120mm, wouldnt this slacken the feel off somewhat?
    will have to drop joe a note to ask if frame lifetime warrenty etc still ok around a 120mm, was more looking for an indication on what it might do to the ride really?

edd

shortbaldone – I wouldn't worry about the head angle being "too" steep. It's currently fashionable to ride long travel (say forks 120mm and over) hardtails with slack head angles but there's a lot to be said for shorter forks and a steeper head angle – a more involving ride, shorter wheelbase making the bike more flickable etc.

The Indy Fab geometry moves your weight back on the bike by having a slack (ish) seat angle so compensates by steepening the head angle slightly.

I think that Joe has left but I'm sure that someone there would be able to tell you if a 120mm fork was alright if that's the way you want to go.

psychle
    Free Member

as long as you're happy with the ride, it's all that matters 🙂 a slightly longer fork would slacken it off a little wouldn't it? but as you say, worth checking the warranty first!

Re. the first pic vs the second, it could be that the reverse arch of the Magura is creating a bit of an optical illusion, it certainly looks different to the 2nd pic anyway.

I actually have a 2nd hand IF Ti deluxe (ie. not custom to me!) that I'll be putting a 130mm fork on, hopefully it suits it! Once it's built I'll post pics to this thread of course 🙂

edd

Having a longer fork does slacken the head angle but it also slackens the seat angle by the same amount (approximately 1 degree for each inch of extra fork travel) and a longer fork raises the bottom bracket height…

the_lecht_rocks

angles / dangles / all relative to one persons preference and trails.

pastey-boy
    Free Member

Hammo
    Free Member

Lovely. Just lovely, my mid 90's dreams realised.

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

I've got a 71 deg head and 71.5 degree seat angle. Works fine for me.

psychle
    Free Member

Hey, I can enter this thread now 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Read the title.

It says "loveliness" !!!!

😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

mines lovely

theflatboy
    Free Member

psychle – is that the one that you or someone else put the ebay link for on here the other day?

if so, nice work on picking it up!

awesome bike, certainly not conventional in style but a classic and gorgeous as well! amazing condition, top work!

psychle
    Free Member

yep, that's the one 🙂 really happy I saw that post re. the ebay link (my wife isn't so pleased, but she understands, kind of 😆 )

theflatboy
    Free Member

here's mine, anyway – double titanium!

bol

Like the Merlin Flatboy. I've always wondered which bits of fords are titanium. Is it the badge?

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers! no part of the focus is actually titanium, least of all the badge!

it's the name for one of the finish package options, i can only assume they chose it because it sounds strong and powerful, or some other marketing nonsense!

billyboulders
    Free Member

My new toy. Taken out on its first ride earlier this afternoon. Goes very well 😀

ojom
    Free Member

want = mick's Sabbath and that Dialled Bikes bent top tube one. Both tidy.

djc1245
    Free Member

Pipedream Sirius Ti

theflatboy
    Free Member

have another pic 🙂 (yes, i know the steerer still hasn't been trimmed…)

bol

Artistic shot, I think you'll agree. Must remember to stop somewhere scenic with a camera some time.

I know the oven needs a bit of a clean, before someone says anything. It was the only place in the house I could get far enough back to get it all in. Yep, hoses too long too.

cinnamon_girl

Oooooh, it's nice to see another Ocoee 🙂 I love mine and hope you do too!

bol

Yeh, I love it. Ours would look like parent and child side by side. Mines a custom xl, which is why it looks like it's got 24 inch wheels.

cinnamon_girl

Yes! I definitely thought it looked on the large side!!

Am having so much fun on mine. The pickup when descending is incredible but she always holds the line well. My best-ever bike for sure 8)

Are you running yours ss? If so, how do you find it?

bol

What I can't get over is what an alrounder it is for something that is essentially a lightweight race bike. Just as much confidence descending as my old stumpy fsr, but climbs like nothing I've ever ridden. It's great as a singlespeed, and I'd be really tempted to keep it that way if I could justify another bike for racing. I can't think of anything I would ever want to replace it with. I'm surprised i've never seen one reviewed in this country – particularly now they've made the cheaper Pigsah with the same geometry.

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Show me your TITANIUM loveliness’ is closed to new replies.