Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Show me your stupidly long seatposts
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I'm 5'11" and ride a large Dialled Alpine, but at xc riding height I need all of my 400mm seat post. Can't post a pic as my camera is broken, but show me your silly long seat posts please, so I don't feel alone. I'm not even very tall, why should my bike look so silly?

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

i'm 5'11" and ride a small whyte. fair bit of seatpost (260mm from top of qr to seat rail) but reach of top tube/100mm stem is great. do you have reeeaaaalllllly long legs???!

Bagstard
    Free Member

I guess I must have long legs. A friend of mine is 6'1" and his saddle is a little low for me. The low top tube of the Alpine just makes it look even sillier. 260mm doesn't sound like much to me.

sc-xc

This was pretty long…

Bagstard
    Free Member

Yep, pretty long, but not as silly as mine. What frame is that?

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

too much? or acceptable?
    (post scotland clean btw!)

grumm
    Free Member

Not got a pic of it like that but I have to run a 400mm post as far out as allowed on my new bike – but then that does have a 14" frame. ;0

Bagstard
    Free Member

tumnorkoz,

pretty long, but still acceptable. I will have to sort a pic somehow to show the silliness that is my Alpine.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

go on make me feel better!

mildred

I'm 5'11" and have exactly the same issue with my Alpine. Another thing I've noticed is that with the forks set to 140mm – 1/3rd sag the BB height is about 14", which is well above what Mike quotes for this frame.

Mine is the Mk2, and I'm certain my Mk1 didn't have such a high BB. This is making it feel less of a 'sit in' type bike, and more of a 'perched on top bike'.

Oh, and barry's bike above is an Evil DOC (Drug Of Choice). No longer made but still available.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Im 6foot2 and also had the same issue with my Dialled Alpine (17/22)

It looked daft with the seat really high and it did have quite a perched on feel due to the high BB.

My mate now uses it and Ive got a Cotic BFe which is slightly bigger and a bit longer. It also has a much lower BB so you feel more in the bike when sitting on the high saddle. Not sure whether its quite as good as going downhill fast though

Bagstard
    Free Member

I really like the bike, but it does spend most of it's time with the saddle very low for jumping/messing around, but there is no getting around it looking silly fo xc.

My GT ZUM commuter has a 20" frame and I have loads of seatpost showing on that, so I guess I must have fairly long legs.

Large frames look like getes, but then smaller/lower frames look silly with long posts. Ho hum!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh I bought my Alpine for downhill/jumping stuff cos I got sick of having no fun squishing about on a full sus.

I then found myself riding mostly XC on it just because I could get the seat to a good height. They arent really that good for jumps and messing about though, the backend is too long. They are absolutely class downhill, seems like a waste if you arent going to ride downhill on it.

The Cotic is better for everything with shorter forks and shorter stays but i dont reckon its as quick downhill although I havent tried it in anger yet.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Most of my riding is DH based and I find the Alpine to be better at DH style jumps than a 14" jump bike. It was bought to reduce my three bikes to two.

Demo 8, .twofourthree sl and on-one 456. I still have the Demo, but the Alpine does pretty much what the other two did with. Lighter and more forgiving than the .243, more jumpable and bomproof than the .243. My 456 (18") had a silly long seat post on it too.

The Alpine is a bit of a compromise, but it has been able to lend itself to pretty much any type of riding. It's doubtful I will change it any time soon. Being around 15 stone (but still lean) I would always err on the side of strength over lightness, well within reason.

firestarter
    Free Member

here you go . 275mm showing . it a 16" i did have an 18" a while back and it felt too big . but who knows its lovely to ride so dunno. im meant to be selling the frame to a fella when he gets sorted with the cash after a boiler packing up . so i can have a pink one instead but think id still go for the 16 rather than 18 the 18 always felt a bit long even with the 70mm stem on

the-muffin-man

My old Scott…

robgarrioch

Shortly after transferring from dark-side, hence max. leg extension 🙄

messiah
    Free Member

Just over 5'11" here.

Seatpost longer than the seattube on my Balfa Minuteman – post is a BlackSpire and it's a massive 425mm long – I've got about 5mm spare (the saddle I use has quite high rails).

Looks odd to some but perfect to get to the trails, and when you drop the saddle for silly riding it all makes sense.

Here is an older bike of mine. Top tube was too short for getting to the trails but what fun when riding on the edge.

None of those other above even know what a long post is 😛

xcstu
    Free Member

I'm 5'10.. have fairly long legs..

leggyblonde
    Free Member

large PA, quite long post

tomh
    Free Member

Not mine, but this is an mate of mines old bike!

odannyboy
    Free Member

tomh…quite simply your mate has a ridiculesly small frame!check out the length of the stem, where did the frame come from?…one of his children?? 😯

tomh
    Free Member

It was a bargin on ebay so he tells me 🙄

will
    Free Member

Long 😆

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I think I can probably win this one…..

fisha
    Free Member

prove you can ride it like that !

leggyblonde
    Free Member

graeme obree could

james
    Free Member

A (large) frame with extra standover clearance doesn't help things much either
    'Disguised' a little:

'Exposed'

Its cut down to 380mm as well

A friends (15" SC Chameleon):

pinches
    Free Member

18" scandal i'm 5ft 11

saw this on southern DH

alpin
    Free Member

my 15/21 alpine in alpine climbing mode (forks dropped, bars forward, saddle up). a fair bit of post showing.

briertonp
    Free Member

I don't know what all the fuss is about; I've just bought a Pace trials bike to ride XC (not on purpose – wrongly advertised…) and now looking to get a seatpost with at least 13" on show so it doesn't end up back on ebay!
    I've ridden long seatposts/small frames for years without too much trouble. I've also got a retro Marin that's the 'correct' size (19") for my height and it feels strange! I've bought it up to use off road this week, so will give it a go before selling it if I don't like it. I've also been riding my other retro bike that's 1" too small for a number of months but that feels too big too (18") – maybe it's me… lol! :o)

Bream
    Free Member

Does this count 😆

Smuzzy
    Free Member

295mm showing but it feels good, takes the sting out of the bumps.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Show me your stupidly long seatposts’ is closed to new replies.