Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Should I Use isopropyl alcohol when servicing forks
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I am planning on servicing my Vanilla RLC and RP23 Rear shock at the weekend and I was originally planning on just wiping the forks clean with a rag. I then I read the fox web site regarding the RP23 shock sleeve and it mentioned cleaning that with isopropyl alcohol.

Having never used the stuff can you submerge all the parts in the stuff. Can you also swish it round inside the fox damper to clean it out ?

simon_g

Put it in a spray bottle!

flanagaj
    Free Member

I am unsure whether there are any areas of the units that should not be sprayed ?

For example, when cleaning the front forks I can see that cleaning the inside / outside of the stanchions / steerers is safe, but I am not sure whether you should flush out the damper unit with it ?

jemima
    Free Member

I use it for forks and calipers. The beauty is it evaporates very quickly and leaves no residue. I think you can clean everything with it so long as you get it all out/let it totally evaporate afterwards. Having said that I just tend to spray it on a rag and wipe down with this instead of bathing bits in it.

Wear gloves! And safety glasses. Its bad on the skin. And don't breath too hard on the vapours or smoke!

stumpy01

Maplin do IPA in a spray can (GT85 style).

It was really handy when I last serviced my Reba's.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I use car brake cleaner. Does the same job. As does soapy water, then rinse with warm water and leave to dry….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never bothered myself. Wipe with a clean rag dampened with fork oil. rinse internal parts thru with fork oil

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Should I Use isopropyl alcohol when servicing forks’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM