Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • should i get a new bike…?
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

I currently have a specialized rockhopper and a trek fuel ex 6.5 with lots of new bits (fox talas forks, hope hubs, m4 brakes with blue rotors and brake levers, crossmax slx wheel etc). But I really really want a Lapierre Spicy… The justification being that I could use it in Morzine when I go in August, and for things like the Forest of Dean downhills and stuff. Maybe an uplift day at Cwmcarn when I eventually get the guts to book one!
    So what I’m wondering is, is it worth keeping the Trek as well – is there enough difference between the two? I keep being told to sell it but i have a real soft spot for it having spent quite a bit on modifications, and I’m not sure it’d fetch all that much anyway! Any thoughts?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes.

(I only read the tread title. This HAS to be the correct answer! 😉 )

Aidy
    Free Member

Yes.

I only read the title, too.

bassspine
    Free Member

it is impossible to have too many bikes. Only not enough space.

lexiekay
    Free Member

ha ha yeah i dont have much space at all. my trek is currently in the boot of my car…

foxylaydee
    Free Member

hi, i have a Lapierre Spicy and i LOVE it ! The best bike i have ever owned by a mile and i’ve had Turners, Santa Cruz, Cove, Rocky Mountain & Intense in the past. I rode the regular spicy and the womens specific and went for the latter as it just instantly felt right. I sound like a rep for lappy but i honestly feel like a better rider with it 🙂

MrAgreeable

I guess you know the answer to this already, but it might help if you list the pros and cons of buying/not buying? E.g.

For:

Ooh, new and shiny.
    A bit more Alp-friendly than your Trek.

Against:

Cost.
    Do you really need it for the ‘Dean?
    Won’t magically make you a better rider. I have a few nice bikes and I’m still less skilful than your average 12 year old at the skatepark.
    You’ll have to move it out of the way to get to the loo…

robdob
    Free Member

No question.
    Remember the rule:
    (ideal amount of bikes to own)=(current amount of bikes)+1

lexiekay
    Free Member

I was thinking about the womens specific one, but isnt it only available in 516? Not sure i can stretch to the extra £1000…

And yeah i must admit the new shiney-ness is a major plus factor.
    But also the trek is a 17.5″ frame, which i’m beginning to think is too big for me, so i’d prefer to get a small size lapierre really.
    Will it really not magically make me a better rider?!

jimmy

robdob – Member

No question.
    Remember the rule:
    (ideal amount of bikes to own)=(current amount of bikes)+1

teehee

MrAgreeable

I think having a frame that fits you properly, has suitable geometry for the stuff you’re riding (slack and laid back for DH, etc) and gives you confidence can be a big help.

By itself though, buying stuff doesn’t make you a better rider. Riding makes you a better rider. 🙂

lexiekay
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – I know I know! I’m on a one woman mission to get better at the moment, it will happen i know it 🙂

MrAgreeable

Fair enough then! Book that uplift day at Cwm Carn too, it’s great!

lexiekay
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve heard its good. as long as i go last it doesnt matter how slow i am anyway does it…!

foxylaydee
    Free Member

lexiekay- yep 516 only in womens specific, cost £2800. Most places selling it now for £3099!
    It will make you better, it will make you better, it will make you better x 100 😉
    Actually, what Mr Agreeable said – riding makes you better but it if you dont get a buzz from riding your bike then you ‘ll ride less….so my theory kind of makes sense 🙂

MrAgreeable

The way it works is – the bus gets to the top, everyone piles out, then a few fast peeps go off straight away. Everyone else then spends the next 15 minutes shuffling around, having a wee, pretending to fettle their bikes, and sizing up the other riders – “Is that bloke faster than me? is he going to hold me up?” etc. Just don’t take it too seriously, roll everything on the first run, and enjoy it. 🙂

lexiekay
    Free Member

argh what to do…! Tempted on getting the 316 to be honest, not sure I can stretch to £3099! I definitely think a smaller frame size will help me with my riding, although i know it wont necessarily make me loads better.

And you’ve almost convinced me about the uplift, although i’ll probably do a week day rather than a weekend..

grumm
    Free Member

Imagine having to chuck your lovely new Lapierre in the back of an uplift truck to clunk around with all the big ugly, dirty dh bikes in there though!

lexiekay
    Free Member

Dammit I didn’t think of that. What if I covered it with a blanket? 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Actually just saw a pic of it and it looks quite fancy compared to some I’ve seen so your bike should be ok. 😛

Travis

only read the title and scrolled to the bottom to reply!

n+1 (where n is the no. of bikes you currently own)

can’t believe you asked if you should buy another bike on here, me thinks you just want everyone to say yes so you feel less guilty about it… 😆

ART

Lexie the answer is obviously yes, good grief girl!

Mr Agreeable has it on the uplift – had a go the other day for the first time. As a girl you’ll get an extra bit of ‘sizing up’ which is quite funny or you may get asked as I did… ‘so why mountain biking then?’ – ya what??? – cause the needlepoint got boring… duh…

It’s a confidence thing, the bike won’t make you Tracy Mosley – but if it fits properly and you enjoy riding it then you’ll feel more confident and with that comes better skills and more fun on the trails.

lexiekay
    Free Member

Hurrah i’ve decided! Of course I wanted you all to say yes so I’d feel less guilty, and its worked 🙂
    New bike for me woohoo!
    ART – think i’m going to organise an uplift asap. and i’ll think of some answers re the “why mountain biking” question….
    thanks everyone!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘should i get a new bike…?’ is closed to new replies.