Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Should I change brakes
  • robbiew
    Free Member

Hi just building my new rig commencal meta sx. A warranty deal after cracking the meta 6 but my question is should I replace my Hayes stroker trails for new brakes, would I feel a big difference in stopping power. And if I was to change which should I choose. I have been looking at formula ones but I have never had a squeeze. Can anybody help me out and advise which brakes to go for if I am to change.

ThePinkster

If you’re interested in Formula’s Merlin have a bit of a bargain on the RX’s at he mo’ with both ends for £134.99. Never used them myself so no idea what they’re like performance wise though.

Mind you I’m still very happy with my Stroker Carbons after several years of use and don’t see anty reason to change them (running 203 & 185 discs F&R).

Conan257
    Free Member

Do you feel that your Stroker Trails are not good enough? Is it just a case of upgrade-itis?

I’d always suggest Hope brakes, I’m a big fan of theirs. However I’d always suggest saving pennies if you don’t have to upgrade.

granny_ring

Never had a problem with my stroker trails, plenty powerful enough.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve got some RX’s on a bike I bought this week

They seem awfully ‘bitey’ compared to my Hopes. I’m preparing myself for an OTB or 2. 😐

The Merlin deal is fantastic £134 for a full brake set.

robbiew
    Free Member

Am thinking new frame new everything to be honest. I am goin 1×10 xt due to the x9 disintegrating in France summer just gone, but the brakes still work. Would a hose upgrade improve the performance much?

I have been looking at brake reviews formula, xt, xtr trail, hope Evo x2 some much choice but no difinitive answer to help decide !!

peachos
    Free Member

I’ve literally just upgraded my Stroker Trails to RX – again for no other reason than wanting to try something new (and i needed a new set for another build anyway).

to be completely honest with you, they don’t seem miles better than the Strokers and as was expecting them to be because a few of my mates have em and have been banging on about how good they are. only used em once a couple of times though & its been wet. already missing having the tool free reach adjust as well!

you can buy direct from formula store in italy too for under £150 delivered…also got some mega brakesets & others…

nwill1
    Free Member

XT from rose are hard to beat when it comes to value. Or Slx if you want to save £15. Not got the modulation of hope at slower speeds but modulation at higher speeds is very good but then at least the XT’s can actually stop you quickly!

ahwiles
    Free Member

some brakes have a bit more oomph, but they’ve all got plenty.

just clean them.

if that doesn’t work, new pads.

if they’re squidgy, bleed them.

but don’t buy new brakes to get more ‘power’.

robbiew
    Free Member

If I was to buy the RX my fear would be as just mentioned they are pretty much the same. I had given the stroker a good service before the France trip and fitted superstar pads. They felt great at first but a week of rain and the pleny got the better of them ha. I think I am answering my own question their so what to choose next if I change/upgrade ?

peachos
    Free Member

Get a dropper!

robbiew
    Free Member

Got one !

flange
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some of those (thanks to this post) to replace the mono M4’s on my DH bike. Had them before and they really are brilliant brakes. I used mine for all sorts from trips to the Alps, racing XC, trials (!) and they never once needed any attention (not on the same bike admittedly). Pads last ages too.

A world apart from Hayes..

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some of those

RXs?

Bargain Huh? 🙂

flange
    Free Member

Totally!

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

i think it is a matter of personal preferance. personally i love my Hope Mono’s but i only got them after having a squeeze of a few brakes and decided these were the one’s i liked the best – of course it helps they look awesome, especially with braided hoses, but them i am a bike tart.

my advice would be asking people out on the trails if you can ‘have a quick squeeze……..’ and decide on the ones you like the best, i don’t really think there is much difference in power – unless you buy avids!!

robbiew
    Free Member

Well I have had a squeeze of a few (while stationary mind) and I am always jealous on how they feel compared to mine. The lad at my LBS has recommended r1s anybody got these, does the lever have a lot of float/wobble, the design looks a lot like my Hayes and the flimsy feel bugs me!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Should I change brakes’ is closed to new replies.