Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Should I be worried? Bike 'scoped' content
  • Pook

Just been out for a quick blast. As me and my mate got to the start of the trail, there were two 20 something lads hangîng about. No bikes. Just looking into the woods and avoiding eye contact. I thought nothing of it and rode on.

On the way home I nipped to the shop. Just as I pulled up, one of them pulls up over the road on a scooter, sends a text message, waits until I’m in the shop and then rides off.

I’ve just done the most convoluted route home and locked my bike up very securely in the garage.

Worrying unduly?

wiggles
    Free Member

Bring it into your bedroom for a few nights

lordmerchant
    Free Member

no, scrot bags will be on the rob.

jam-bo

Maybe they thought they recognised you off of Grindr?

Pook

How would YOU know I was on there jam bo?

somafunk

Wire your bike frame up to a live connection or use Shotgun blanks alarm mines with hidden wires. If you catch them in the act then beat their theiving fingers to a pulp so they can’t wipe their own arse

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont listen to that shocking advice if you do you could get charged.

Really dont listen to it

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Wire your bike frame up to a live connection

I like the way you think.

My brother blew up our garden shed with one of those alarm mines and a bottle of RC nitro methane fuel.

allthepies
    Free Member

Did you drive to/from the ride start or was it a ride from home job ?

paulwf

Were you in your car at the shops or parking the bike outside?

Pook

Allthepies – drove

Paul – in car. Bike on top

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wire your bike frame up to a live connection or use Shotgun blanks alarm mines with hidden wires. If you catch them in the act then beat their theiving fingers to a pulp so they can’t wipe their own arse

I have the strangest……..

paulwf

Make sure your strava is set to private with an exclusion zone around your house

But I wouldn’t worry too much, they probably were going to follow you but you stopping perhaps stopped that

DickBarton

Did you get reg number of scooter?

Pook

Did you get reg number of scooter

Couldn’t without making it obvious

DickBarton

Should have done then…they weren’t hiding what they were doing…

whatgoesup

Wire your bike frame up to a live connection

YEAH BABY

But do put warning signs up. Look up the regs – make it legal.

*really don’t do this… – I AM joking*

allthepies
    Free Member

+1. Make it clear they’ve been rumbled.

Sounds like you’ll be fine. Unless they have “contacts” who can obtain your home address from a car reg. I’d consider storing your bike in the house for a few weeks.

project
    Free Member

Theyve obviously fitted a tracker to your car then, are currently tracing your vehicle details on the web, checking if it has road tax and current mot, also insurance on ask mid, along with any driver videos on you tube.

Next theyll b checking bike forums to see if youve recently posted anything or sold anything using your email as a starting point.

Dont get paranoid, just get worried.

project
    Free Member

But just probably a coincidence that they seem to be in the same area as you and a mate.

somafunk

dont listen to that shocking advice if you do you could get charged.

Really dont listen to it

Yeah ok perhaps the live electric connection may have been a touch too far (covering my own arse in case anyone breaks into my workshop as there’s a few cables lying around that could possibly cause harm) but break their **** fingers for sure – I caught a local scrote trying to climb out of my bedroom window back in 2007, unfortunately the window fell on his wrist then as I attempted to pull him back in I accidentally broke all his fingers. He still stays in kirkcudbright and I see him quite often as he still stays with his parents whilst carrying on his abusive antisocial antics in the small housing scheme where I live but he’s always avoided me like the plague. I suspect he was the theiving scrote who broke into my very elderly neighbours house (kindly old dear who made scones n’ cakes for everyone in our close) a few months previous and the fear of it happening again was ultimately too much for her as she would often wake up during the night and start wailing at imaginary visions in her home so I have absolutely no qualms over what I did to him, personally I’d have dropped him off the bridge across the river if I could.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Remind me not to piss off somafunk lads.

in case anyone breaks into my workshop as there’s a few cables lying around that could possibly cause harm

That were left on by accident? 😀

somafunk

When you get woken up practically every night for week after week by the wails and screams of an elderly neighbour who you then have to sit and comfort for hours whilst she calms down I imagine anyone would develop a disdainful view of the person who in all likelihood led to her suffering a massive heart attack

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Check your Strava privacy settings, especially if you have a decent/expensive bike, you could be showing ***** exactly where you and your bike(s) live.

arogers
    Free Member

I agree with keeping your bike in the house for a while. I was targeted after being followed home from a ride. Stupidly, I thought my bike was safe as it was locked with heavy duty chain to a cemented in anchor point, inside a locked steel cage, inside a private parking garage. Don’t underestimate the lengths these bstrds will go to!

Stevet1
    Free Member

If bike was on top of the car can they not find out the address of the car owner? Was he texting the reg no?

globalti
    Free Member

Why display a valuable bike on the roof of the car like a trophy? I bet the car was otherwise empty! There is no car that can’t take a bike or two or even three (most estate cars) with the wheels taken off. We can hide two bikes in the boot of my Passat estate with the cover closed, so completely hidden from view.

I’ve even seen people driving around in vans with bikes on towball racks, FFS!

As for getting the reg of the scooter – why not make it obvious? Then make a call to your local beat officer, who will be very happy to receive intelligence on local scooter scroats. Ours has recently issued Section 59 warnings to two local scooter idiots who were annoying everybody in our street and we haven’t seen them in six months now.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

OP, you should have followed him home then stolen his scooter. See how he likes it.

martinhutch

Which trailhead? Chances are they will be out in the same spot again waiting for someone.

Oh, and keep the bike in the house for a few nights.

garage-dweller

We can hide two bikes in the boot of my Passat estate with the cover closed

I’m guessing that’s an older Passat estate or they are kids bikes. The boot of the B7/2010ish and beyond cars is poor. Can’t get my 26r under the load cover with the seat out let alone the 29r.

simon_g

Why display a valuable bike on the roof of the car like a trophy? I bet the car was otherwise empty! There is no car that can’t take a bike or two or even three (most estate cars) with the wheels taken off. We can hide two bikes in the boot of my Passat estate with the cover closed, so completely hidden from view.

Massively less hassle to stick it on the roof if you have child seats fitted.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Yeah, those iso fix seats are a real pain. They take like 5 seconds.

Thing is, why was he driving to a trail so local that a scooter could follow. My money is on the new Cooking on Gas trail. And perhaps the co-op in fulwood.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Should I be worried? Bike 'scoped' content’ is closed to new replies.