Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Shorts in WInter – do you do it?
  • cheshirecat
    Free Member

Tights here too. A thin pair for <12 degrees or so, and a thicker pair for <5 degrees.

Just ordered a pair of winter boots too. I hate having cold legs and feet.

jfletch
    Free Member

Don’t wear tights on the mountain bike because soggy wet fabric on legs is minging and skin is easier to repair (wait) than fabric (sew/replace). I’m going slowly and working hard so don’t get cold. On the downs I’m concentraiting too hard on not falling off to notice the cold.

Road bike it’s tights all the way, then leg warmers when it’s not quite as cold. Only go to shorts only when it’s actually warm. The harder you work, the faster you go, the colder you get.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Tights on the road bike for me. I saw a guy ~60 on saturday in very short shorts, iirc it was meant to feel around -4 with the strong winds.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m a shorts all year round person too – not to try and make a point and be hard but because that’s how I’m comfy. I tend to be quite warm anyway.

I rarely find myself using that many layers either – merino base layer plus a jacket / gillet if its cold. Jersey the rest of the time.

Road bike is different – anything below 16 degrees and the bib tights come out.

kcal

shorts for about 3 months (and those will be sunny, warm months). Often old style Endure MT500s. Sometimes Madison baggies.

More often than not, 3/4 bib shorts (sometimes with shorts over).
    From Nov – Mar, full length longs.

My knees are not well padded, and turn a nasty shade of red/mauve/full purple when cold. I’m sure it’s not good for them being that cold anyway.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I wear tights under my baggies more often now than I used to. Don’t know if that’s an age thing but I’m certainly not getting any skinnier. That said if its cold but dry I’ll generally be happy with ¾’s on, when its slightly warmer but wet I’ll wear tights as I find when my shins are exposed and wet the heat fair gets sucked out.

dazh

Tights/legwarmers for me under the shorts from pretty much the end of September til the beginning of May, and then often in between. I remember doing a road sportive in June a few years back in full winter kit.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I wouldn’t wear tights if my life depended on it

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Normally just shorts and knee pads plus my longish winter seal skinz. It’s only if it’s really cold (-5 or lower) that’ll I wear my 3/4 thermal bibs under my shorts when on the mtb.

On the road bike I’ve stopped going out when it gets down to 5 degrees as the wind chill is just too much as even with decent thermal layers on plus overshoes my hands and feet are usually numb to the point I can’t feel them by the time I’m 45 mins in to a ride.

coogan
    Free Member

Depends on how cold. The last few months I’ve had the tights on under my baggies for commuting and off ride they’ve been there too the last few rides as it’s been bloody freezing. I like cosy.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Has to be snow on the ground to get me to cover up. Even then I may still be in shorts even in snow. Sealskinz socks combined with knee pads keeps much of the legs warm anyway, but to be honest I don’t feel the cold in the legs.

Plus, despite born & bred in Devon, I have northern ancestry 😉

And I don’t do tights or bibs. Might do ski thermals under the shorts if it’s really that bad, but that’s it.

smatkins1
    Free Member

The leggings only come out when the temp approachs zero,
    Even then they’re worn with shorts.

Knee pads and socks the rest of the year.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My legs don’t work well when cold, and if knees are not covered I get pain after

Suggsey
    Free Member

Having had proper hypothermia once in my life, I would never risk suffering it again…..only takes an innocuous off or break down miles from anywhere. For that reason I dress accordingly for the riding conditions forecast. 😉

jimmy

One of biking’s greatest feeling is getting the legs out / shorts on for that first spring ride. Sunglasses essential to block the white knee-glare.

EDIT: must admit to having just bought ’emergency’ Ron Hill bikesters for the Puffer. They repel water you know…

Dibbs
    Free Member

Many years ago a former national MTB champion told me “look after your knees below 15 degrees”, that’s good enough for me.
    I was walking the dog on the Quantocks Sunday morning and some lads were just going out on a ride, it was blimmin freezing.
    I broke my ankle on a solo ride on a summer’s evening and it was scary how quickly shock set in, it could have been life threatening if the same thing had happened in the winter and I’d been wet and cold.

j4mie
    Free Member

I struggle going outside to reach the car on my way to work in winter, shorts don’t exist to me even on the hottest days of the year.

Unless at that moment I’m playing tennis outside.

But trousers on all the time for cycling.

duncancallum

Normally yeah though I have bought some bib longs. More for keeping my lumbar warm

deanfbm
    Free Member

Get too hot in tights, bib tights are a definite no go. I do wear just below the knee thermal shorts under my baggies. Even on top on a cold day it will be a baselayer, and winter jersey on top, a pair of gloves in my pocket for any stops.

As posted elsewhere, it’s not a “i’m hard” thing, once im going, i’m warm, i just try not to stop for too long.

It’s my cold sweat that i only ever really get cold from too, so try to limit in the first place.

Me and a mate have been struggling since september why lots you see about are in full tights, winter boots, thick gloves and several jackets, decided it was too much standing around faffing.

Realised in the depths of winter if i can play football and t-shirt and shorts and be comfortable, i should really be on the bike too.

el_boufador

Summer and the milder bits of spring / autumn = bib shorts
    Coldest bits of autumn / spring = bib 3/4s or knee warmers
    Winter = generally bib 3/4s though when it gets really cold not many times, probably has to be -5 or colder), full bib tighs.

Always with baggies over

BigJohn

I was asked on Sunday why I was wearing shorts. I said I didn’t want to go out in just my pants

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

No, Not even during summer. 3/4 baggies on warm days (30+Celcius) but any other times pants on the mtb and Bib tights on the road bike.
    Only wear shorts on holiday round the pool otherwise 3/4.
    When I used to play football, my socks went up to my knee and only my patella was exposed.
    Naturally tanned anyway so no need show them to the sun.

Not embarrassed by my legs, I just can’t stand being cold.

yunki
    Free Member

I have longs for if it gets proper cold, but I’m in Devon so it doesn’t very often

DrP

As long as I’m moving/turning my legs, I can generate enough heat to stay hot in anything over about 2 degrees so will always wear Lycra shorts/ 3/4s under a pair of shorts.
    If it’s proper chilly I’ll wear full length.

I’ve accidentally grabbed full length leggings when aiming for the shorts, and it actually slows me down, getting too hot..

DrP

WildHunter2009

I can’t imagine riding in anything but shorts? I’m also uncomfortable wearing anything with long sleeves as well. Back in the UK I was to be seen with my waterproofs rolled up to my elbows as standard. I think I run really warm though and don’t really feel the cold. Though has to be said a few years living in Australia has softened me up a treat so who knows now.

I always found it amusing that all the bramble cuts and scrapes would not bleed until I got home or to a cafe/pub and the blood resurfaced. Like a mountain biking stigmatic.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Normally wear Endura over trousers (saves depositing huge amounts of mud around the house) but yesterday was pretty warm so shorts came out.

Deposited huge amounts of mud around the house instead…..

jonba
    Free Member

I dress to be comfortable. Got a variety of shorts 3/4 baggies 3/ bibs, trousers and tights depending on the weather.

My legs don’t get cold but my get do.

oldgit
    Free Member

Hardly ever wear shorts, only summer I guess. Whilst my legs don’t ‘feel’ cold they are, well I assume the cold makes my legs cold.

Superficial
    Free Member

The last week has been very mild – I’ve just been wearing shorts for the commute. There’s no bravado, no aversion to Lycra but it’s just not cold enough at the moment to need tights IMO. I’m still wearing long bibs on the MTB though.

devash
    Free Member

I wear 3/4 length shorts with high cuff merino socks usually in all but the coldest of rides (then the trousers come out).

pictonroad

As soon as I’m moving I’m generally too hot. Even in the depths of winter night ride I get funny looks for wearing shorts and short sleeve jersey.

I’ve been out in t shirts and shorts and others have been faffing with boot heaters. 😆

Bet I die on the road bike now.. 😳

warpcow
    Free Member

Pretty much always, but only on the MTB. Knees are always covered though. I almost always have pads on, or knee-warmers for when I don’t, and long socks too so it’s not that different to when I wear tights. Tights tend to come out when it drops below -5ish, or when riding the CX from about +5 down.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qvdGS9]482319_10152086386347788_916775998_n[/url] by warpcow, on Flickr

Houns

From this morning. Had to sit in the snow for a bit as I was too hot

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s cos you is a chubber innit.

yunki
    Free Member

Sleety hailstorm, oh such a good time.. The school run has never been so much fun 😕

My 3/4s are at least waterproof although that was of little comfort this morning

gonzy
    Free Member

usually wear baggies with my padded shorts underneath. but if its really cold i’ll stick the leggings on.
    problem i have though is that my leggings dont have a pad pitted so i still have to wear my padded ones underneath (i really should get some that are) and then i wear my baggies on top so i can stuff my keys etc in the pockets. wearing 3 layers isnt too bad but but on some days movement feels a bit restrictive. since i’ve been back at work after crimbo i’ve not needed them yet even though it feels a lot colder.

njee20
    Free Member

I did used to wear shorts year round, and never really suffered, but looking back I’m not sure how/why I did it frankly, more pleasant to not have blue legs at the end of a ride!

These days <15 or so degrees I wear knee warmers/leg warmers/tights as appropriate. Except for racing, race in shorts >5 degrees or so, knee warmers below.

Cheezpleez

My legs are bloody gorgeous and I feel morally bound to share them with the world as often and as fully as possible. If I must suffer then so be it.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Shorts in WInter – do you do it?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM