Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Short wellies v normal/tall wellies
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

I reckon short wellies are fine for going to cross races and general knocking about. My gf seems to think calf deep mud lurks in every field thereby meaning tall are better. I’m clearly biased, what do you think?

Jamie
    Free Member

I think you are a gnat’s cock away from making mother-in-law jokes. Maybe some observations on TV dinners thrown into the mix…

Take my wife, please…

8)

fontmoss
    Free Member

um what?

druidh
    Free Member

Short wellies don’t work in deep mud but long wellies work in shallow mud. Unless you are trying to build up a wellies collection, buy the long ones.

mrmo
    Free Member

according to someone i work with

work

leisure

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mrmo, avoid the zipped Le Chameaus. They tend to seize.

Try these;

andyl
    Free Member

why would you bother with short wellies? Just sound rubbish to me.

Although at the moment I am thinking about getting some waders as the mud on the mendips can be deeper than normal wellies are high at the moment!

fontmoss
    Free Member

Uncle works in a feed supply place so get hunters cheapish was just going to go with a pair of those. In my next life I’ll be getting some nice speedvagen jobs 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

i would advise, even cheap thinking twice about hunters, or at least the originals, i believe the Balmorals are ok, but there are questions about QC these days.

mrmo
    Free Member

@CFH, i may get a staff decent discount on Le Chameau but they still out of my price range.

ski
    Free Member

Had to cut my Dunlops down as they used to rub on my clafs 😉

Used then on my allotment for a few years, never had an issue being cut down, easier to flick off and on too

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah I haven’t had wellies for ages but I thought it would be endless having them rub

footflaps

Bought some cheapo Homebase ones for wading around in concrete – very happy with them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You all fail, these are the only boots a man should wear, forget all your branded names and pony styling..

These are what I wear on the farm.

Most excellent, now go get yourself a pair.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Any more for anymore?

nealglover
    Free Member

Another vote for Muck Boot Co.

They are excellent.

More comfortable than my “dry weather” work boots so I end up wearing them all the time.

More comfortable than all my other footwear actually.

(But they look crap with a suit, so I do occasionally wear something else)

CountZero

There was another welly thread where those Muck Trents were mentioned, and I feel that a pair are going to be heading my way sometime soon. As Bikebouy and neilglover praise them highly as all-day wear for comfort, that’s good enough for me.
    And they look really good, too! Thanks, chaps. 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Short Wellies are for the Jimmy Savilles of this world. 😆

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I won some Hunter’s a few years back. They don’t get much use as I have proper Manly legs… and so they don’t really fit!

The foot part is really comfy though.

Keep thinking I should get some short boots for that reason, although probably not Hunter’s.

druidh
    Free Member

My daughters Muck Boots have split after about 16-17 months of twice-weekly usage.

ourmaninthenorth

Being of a wider girth, I wear an wider fit rubber…

….Boot. Hunter Adjustable, that is

😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Are the proper Muck Boot Co ?

Or one of the other companies (dirt boot ?) that look the same ?

I had one of the other variants first and they split, but my proper Muck Boots are going strong after three years of being worn 50+ hours a week six months of the year.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Another for Muck Boots here

mightymule
    Free Member

My first pair of Hunter wellies lasted 15 years – and that was 15 years of being on my feet pretty much every day. For that reason I replaced them with another pair of Hunters. 10 years ago, and they’re still going strong.

druidh
    Free Member

If that was directed at me – they are genuine Muck Boot

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Blue socks v Red socks? Which one should I wear tomorrow? I can’t decide.

nealglover
    Free Member

If that was directed at me – they are genuine Muck Boot

Yes it was sorry

I would give their customer services dept a ring then.

I’ve not dealt with them personally, but have been told they are a great company to deal with, I’d be surprised if they didn’t sort out an issue like that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I’ve had Hunters and they were rubbish, simply a fashion item that has long since been superseded by far better and much more wellies in tune with Mud.

There’s a simple rule, are they lined, no not a thin covering on the rubber on the inside, I mean lined with a sock that you can take them out and wash, Muck Boots do. It stops your feet from turning into a sweaty mulch and stinking worse than ransid Chicken shit, if you’ve been around a farm you’ll know the smell well enough.

So, if you choose wellies make sure they’ve an inner sock or thermal,lining, your feet will get cold/hot and stink, best getting something that at least limits that.

Fashion wellies are fine for pouncing around Hampstead Heath or even on the Tube, but Hunters and the like are so 1980’s rah rah skirt and polka dot headbands that they’ve become embarrassing to wear, or rather reflect the wearer rather well.

My Mucks have been used for 18mths with all the abuse you can throw at them. I’ve never had issues at all.

One more point, they’ve flexible rubber around the calves, so unlike Hunters and the like where the rubber is the same thickness and make your calves hurt within 56.8765476767mtrs, Mucks are soft and flexible, so you can at least walk in them for 20miles or thereabouts without feeling like you’ve been a bad Bouy and the Mafia have decided to fill yer boots with concrete and send you to the bottom of the Thames, or Avon, or Severn..

Yes they’re expensive, but they do the job, they’re not for town, they’re for Mud and mulch and Cow shit and Horse shit and walking the dog and feeding the Sheep and washing off under the outside tap then forgetting about them until the morning.

If I may suggest you do yourselves a favour and at least pop into your local farm suppliers or saddlery and try em on, try em on with a pair of Hunters on the other leg..

CountZero

Bikebouy, thank you, you’ve just given me far more info than I’d managed to find in 30 minutes Goole trawling for Muck Boots! Are you sure you don’t actually work for them? 😀
    I really like the way those boots look, and that alone would have me reaching for the debit card, but the fact you actually wear them for long periods in conditions that I will never match convinces me they’re exactly the boots I’ve been looking for for years.
    Thanks again. 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

countzero.

You won’t regret it.

I wear mine 8-10 hours at a time at this time of year, drive in them etc.

Warm and dry all day, and like walking on clouds.

Brilliant boots.

djglover
    Free Member

Get some crocks and be done with it grandad

somafunk

Another muck boots user here, after spending a few months slipping and sliding on my arse around my mates farm in my cheap karrimor wellies to the amusement of him and his partner i finally succumbed to peer pressure and bought the “Muck Boots – Tay wellington boot”, utterly fantastic and i can wear them from 6am to 6 pm round the farm without any discomfort, the best £60 i’ve ever spent on footwear.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you want short boots you want a nice set of Jealette rigger boots, but on no account wear them with tracksuit bottoms.

fontmoss
    Free Member

So you reckon muck boots are worth a look? 😉

My auntie loves them, I just think they look hideous but if they keep you dry and warm amidst piles of mud that’ll do just fine.

CountZero

Thread resurrection time, ordered a pair of the Muckboots Trents from Uttings Outdoors last Friday, and they arrived this morning. They look fantastic, and with the forecast being what it is for the foreseeable future, I think they’ll be getting a lot of use. Thank you to Bikebouy and neilglover for the recommendation, I would never have found them without this site.
    Cheers, gents! 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pleasure.
    😀

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Can you please shut up as I was hoping this thread would die. I took Jamie’s wife after he asked in the second post & although she’s not as bad as he made out, Ive had better & I’m now trying to avoid the two timing bitch, turn’s out she didn’t only do that special thing for me, but for anyone that asked 🙁

😉

CountZero

😆

PePPeR

Now Now Martin I thought it was Jamies mother in law you’d taken and I had to refer back to the aforementioned post just to check!

I’m another user of Muck boots, I’ve got the Tays which I’ve totally trashed over the years and I use for walking all day when out working my dog for the local shoots.

I also have another pair of Muck Boot Derwents which I use around the garden and generally wear most of the time!

The only thing I can’t see is that people haven’t mentioned how hot and wet your feet get in these boots. they are supposed to do this as they use the moisture to keep your feet warm! The Tays especially, as they are designed to be used in Minus 20 degree temperatures.

I had my first pair of Tays split on me after 12 months, I took them back to my LFS (Local Farm Shop) and they were exchanged without any complications.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Short wellies v normal/tall wellies’ is closed to new replies.