Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Shiny race bike in student kitchen pic
  • Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

First season racing elite so I've got a new frame and fork. Now I better get training so I can keep up with it!

Will be at the next Gorrick round for my first outing this year, before doing a few BMBS races, then heading back out to Austria for the rest of the season.

RustySpanner

How did it get up there?
    Can't you tempt it down with a saucer of milk?

That's the first bike I've seen that actually suits those wheels.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Isn't 1×9 a bit limiting for racing?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I havent found it very limiting so far: 36×11 is approx 44×13 and 36×34 is approx 32×30 so I dont actually loose too many gears. So far I havent found any disadvantages to it.

tthew

Very nice. The design/look of those wheels have really grown on me. I thought they were minging when they were first out, but would definately have a pair now.

zaskar
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    How did it get up there?

That's the first bike I've seen that actually suits those wheels.

It's light!

And looks ace!

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

It is pretty light; not sure exactly but I think its about the 22lb point (according to bathroom scales!).
    I've had the wheels for almost a year now and I love them. I could actually notice a difference in stiffness compared to the crossmax's before them, and also the freehub makes a fantastic purrrrr….

RustySpanner

I don't understand fancy wheels – ordinary ones work perfectly well, you can get the spares anywhere, they are cheaper – it's like reinventing the……well, you get my drift…… but you're right, that looks really good.

Like the single chainring and big cassette as well.

jcromton
    Free Member

That's inspirational!

Is everyone dropping chainrings this year?

You doing BUCS?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Rusty – I'm pretty sure that Crank Brothers arent concerned with anything 'ordinary' and the design seems to have plenty going for it. I agree that traditional wheels work fine, but I am a fan of people trying new things. Also, they are super bling too! As for spares, 2Pure are simply the best company in the world, so I have no problems with spokes etc.

Yep, racing BUCS (BUSA to the old guard!). looking forward to it, know nothing of the course at the moment though, but I'm sure it will be a fun weekend!

qwerty
    Free Member

a student drinking Twinings!!!!

shouldn't you be on:

???

RustySpanner

Good on you Chris – I'm just an old technophobe. Someone has to be an early adopter and iron all the problems out.

I sneered at suspension (I now have forks on my bike) dissed discs (ditto), and currently have nothing but contempt for droppy seatposts and fancy wheels.

You know what I'll be using in a couple of years time then….

smell_it
    Free Member

I can't pin down why, but I'm really liking that bike(including the wheels). But student kitchens have changed since my day!! Good luck with the racing!

bikerbruce
    Free Member

"I dont get fancy wheels"….
    clearly you don't "get" cycling..
    nice bike

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

the kitchen isn't all its cracked up to be; theres a reason I didnt take the photo the other way around. I hope you'll note the Twinings is adjacent to the alcohol!
    Those wheels do look so much better on that frame than they did on my epic last year. I'm hoping that a 4lb decrease in bike weight will be felt when it comes to racing! I've been tying it to the ground at night just to stop it floating away!

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

How light is it??

showerman
    Free Member

do you have a disability as you only have a rightsided handle bar

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

It is pretty light; not sure exactly but I think its about the 22lb point (according to bathroom scales!).

I do actually have 2 arms, but I also like super wide handlebars. I tried skinny racer boy bars, but had to go back to 685mm Eastons. More leverage!

RustySpanner

"I dont get fancy wheels"….
    clearly you don't "get" cycling..

Lol, bit of a sweeper Bruce, don't see how that follows 😀

Allow me to clarify: I'm not a racer, but ride all over the place so ease of spoke replacement and the ability to true a wheel after a couple of spokes break is far more important to me than a few grams overall weight loss. So it's Hope Pro II's and 719's for me for the time being.

However I'm delighted that Chris has built a lovely looking bike, with blingy wheels. I don't like unnecessary solutions to problems which don't exist, but if these prove to be lighter, stronger but just as reliable and easy to fix over the next couple of years, then we're all winners aren't we? And THEN I'll get some.

_tom_
    Free Member

What chain guide are you using? Looks pretty clean and I want one! 🙂

I'm currently running a DMR speed guide and it looks so old fashioned haha

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Chainguide looks like an MRP but could be wrong.
    Nice looking bike, except for the wheels,but each to thier own I guess

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

chainguide – MRP 1.x. you're making me consider a 1×9 setup here!

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/chain-guide/product/1x-chain-guide-34957

verticalclimber
    Free Member

where did you get the mrp??? no one seems to have stock yet in uk

the-muffin-man

• No Big-Ring!
    • Risers bars!
    • Tyres with a decent amount of tread on them!

….you ain't no racer with that set-up!!! 😉

Starrman28
    Free Member

Nice looking bike.

I get 2 x 9 for racing but not 1 x 9. Hasn't leg speed got something to do with it? On rough ground on a HT you need to big ring……don't you?

fackit
    Free Member

Very nice, like the Carbon n black frame especially with the blue CB wheels in blue..

looks no nonsense, lean and mean.

mollyiom
    Free Member

so many experts, perhaps some of you guys should race against this guy and see how you get on against him with your advantage of 3 rings.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Pretty sure CRC have stock of the MRP guides. I actually got mine in the US, so have been using a 1×9 set up since last June. I think its great for racing – I spend more time just getting on and pedalling instead of worrying about what my front mech is doing, not to mention the 700 gram weight saving.
    As for riser bars – I've already said above that narrow bars dont suit me. The tires are temporary. Havent quite decided what I will be using to race on this year. I used Crossmarks last year, but they're a bit on the heavy side. we'll see

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

so many experts, perhaps some of you guys should race against this guy and see how you get on against him with your advantage of 3 rings.

Erm… Starrman28 was (still is?) pretty handy 😉

Starrman28
    Free Member

Thanks Chas 🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

700 gram weight saving? where from?
    shifter, cable, front mech and 2 chain rings?

are your cranks standard 3 ring type just with 1 ring?

xc-steve
    Free Member

Well that's decided it, my current race bike setup is 2×9 (22/36) 22 just incase, still not used the 22 this year so gonna drop them in favour of your setup!

Only thing which concerns me are those first couple of rides back after being ill where your legs could do with ease of a granny ring!

With that MRP thing do E13 do something similar?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Ok dirtbiker, maybe 700 was a bit amibitous – just added it up and its more like 570g. still pretty significant though!

Starrman – I suppose everyones technique is a little different. I havent found a course where 36×11 is too small – takes a lot to spin out at that speed. Newnham park was a bit steep for 36×34 though, for that one I could have done with something a little smaller!

xc-steve
    Free Member

Ah ha E13's version: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47875

Re-Newnham having had my 2×9 at that for the soggy bottom series not had to use granny at all so 1×9 is fine there as well! I guess long firetrail downhill's you'd spin out on but only really get them on marathons!

njee20
    Free Member

570g? Still not a chance IMO.

xc-steve, why not go for a bigger 2×9, slightly more versatile if you don't have the biggest legs, I like 28/40.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Student kitchen my arse! Since when does a student keep a kitchen that tidy & drink twinings tea, your giving students a bad name. 🙄 Nice bike though!I would change the tyres because they are crap.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Well planned on going for 26/36 but they wouldn't fit on my XTR cranks, so left my original 22 on, and swapped the original 32 with a 36 and haven't used the 22 at all… I suppose Ideally a 38 – 26 or 28 would be the best but it's cheeper and lighter to go 1×9!

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

weights from weightweenies:

44t ring: 80g
    22t ring: 20g
    sram front shifter: 252g
    LX front mech: 170g
    e13 ring is 15g lighter than XT 32t
    30g for housing and cable

567g

nickc

I havent found it very limiting so far: 36×11 is approx 44×13

So all the folk in 44:11 are going to be going faster than you then…

Daffy

weights from weightweenies:

44t ring: 80g
    22t ring: 20g
    sram front shifter: 252g
    LX front mech: 170g
    e13 ring is 15g lighter than XT 32t
    30g for housing and cable

567g

+ chainguide.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Shiny race bike in student kitchen pic’ is closed to new replies.