• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Mat.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano Freehub Compatibility
  • Mat

I think I killed the freehub on my cheap and cheerful wheels today (Shimano FH-M475 – sub-deore I think) bike feels heavy to pedal there is at least a quarter of a crank revolution after free wheeling before engagement and it’s making some unhealthy creaking noises under heavy load!

I was looking at the replacement options, I understand that pretty much all shimano 9-speed freehubs should be interchangable but I just wanted to be sure before I order. I was thinking of going XT, on the sound basis that they must be a fiver better…

What do people think? Will it fit?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Id get a hub if you can find one cheaply – likely other intenrals are goosed.

In fact, strip it first to check.

EDIT also other freehubs will use different seals, probably incompatible with yours, so buying a hub gets you these also.

Mat

Dammit! I thought someone might suggest that, probably is the case I know the cones in the hub were a little pitted, this is my ‘hack’ inbred. Problem is I’d rather not get new wheels for this bike, I’d rather cascade down my 717s with hope XC hubs and get something new for the handjob, but then I think oh, I’d like to get some kind of 650b hardtail with bolt through wheels and a dropper post. It’s an expensive chain reaction! Hmmm….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Eh?

Often hubs cost no more than freehub bodies.

butcher

When the pawls on my freehub failed, I found it was cheaper to buy a new hub than it was to buy the freehub itself! Shimano do not believe in making it cost effective to repair their stuff it seems. So I did that and just swapped everything over, freehub, bearings, axle, the lot.

Mat

I know they cost the same but I’ve I’m going to spend the time to build a new wheel(which I don’t have time to do right now) I might as well build it on to something fancier than a Mavic 317 with PG spokes no? It would be good practice for building my first wheel though I guess.

Edric64
    Free Member

As in above buy a hub swap all the bits .The dust caps pop out if they need swapping to match different cones

toppers3933
    Free Member

I nearly always buy a whole hub instead if a freehub body. It’s rare that the freehub body is the only part that needs replacing.

butcher

No need to rebuild the wheel. Just take the hub to bits and transfer parts.

Edit: too slow.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What edric and butcher said.

Mat

Cheers guys! I think the races aren’t in the best of shape, would seem a shame to wreck all the new internals quickly, thinking about it, it might be a good practise (spelt it right this time) build. I guess I’d at least need new spokes to do that though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Freehub Compatibility’ is closed to new replies.