Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Shimano Chains from Merlin – No Connecting Pin?
  • doof_doof
    Free Member

Like a lot of other people, I’m stocking up on drive train spares. So I ordered a few Shimano chains from Merlin to keep me going for a while.

They arrived yesterday, no packaging or anything – ok, that’s fine, OEM parts are nice and cheap – but no connecting pins are included. Shouldn’t this be mentioned on the website? I use KMC reusable links anyway, but if I didn’t, I’d be a bit annoyed.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

People still use pins?

How odd

anc
    Free Member

You should get one pin, you used to get two.

Complain they’ll send you some as the chain isn’t fit for purpose without the pin.

Oggles
    Free Member

It’ll depend on the chain, I got some XT ones from Merlin fully boxed with instructions and pin. I would expect to receive a pin with an OEM chain too.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

so you are complaining that you didn’t get a bit that you wouldn’t use any way!!

druidh
    Free Member

Not a complaint – more an observation/warning to others?

snakebite
    Free Member

the warning should be about shimano chains….

scaredypants

if anyone really wants a couple I can go & have a look in the garage

doof_doof
    Free Member

RR – not complaining, just think that sort of thing should be advertised as such. Plus it’s always handy to have some spare pins just-in-case.

Besides, I thought I’d give the forum a break from your inane Pro2 threads.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i have had 1 “inane” pro 2 thread – dumbass

mudshark
    Free Member

FFS if I received a chain without a connecting pin/link, without being told it wasn’t included, I’d be annoyed! I’ve always bought SRAM or KMC….

wwaswas

maybe they made a mistake – has any one actually bothered to ask if they normally include one?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Surely it comes capable of being joined – i.e. with the joining pin in the chain…and without spare joining pins?

Seems what one should expect of OEM if you ask me.

anc
    Free Member

Shimano say

‘Use the reinforced connecting pin only for connecting the narrow type of
    chain.’

Using an existing link to join the chain will weaken it.

wwaswas

what cynic-al said – all the ones i have had oem have the pin ‘prefitted’ to one link ready to press in and no spares.

anc
    Free Member

“If you are using a Shimano chain you can not push the same pin back through the inner and outer plates. Shimano rivets (pins) are beveled on each side for added strength. This is good in functionality until your chain breaks or you are sizing a new chain. Once the pin is pushed through it flattens out the bevel and weakens that link. For this reason your new Shimano chain will come with two chain pins. These pins include a guide portion and a replacement rivet. The image to the right shows a Shimano chain pin with the section having a rounded nose being the guide section. To use a Shimano pin insert the guide portion of the pin into the connected piece of the chain. You will now set this into the chain tool and press the replacement rivet into place. You can then snap off the guide portion of the pin with a pair of pliers. Shimano chain pins come in 8, 9, and 10-speed widths so be sure to purchase the correct on for your chain.”

Should be done with a pin 😉

wwaswas

not sure what you’re saying anc – my experience is that the chain comes prefitted with the special joining pin through one plate on a link. you fit the chain, push it through and snap the extra bit off.

for oem stuff this means the pin can’t get separated fromt he chain and makes manufacturing etc easier as the chains ready to fit (after shortening).

no one’s suggesting the pin supplied in ‘prefitted’ is a normal one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

what wwaswas said – any new shimano chain I have seen comes with a joining pin in the chain (including several thousand from my wrench days) ready to be joined.

I am not talking about using an “old” one.

anc
    Free Member

Ahh right?? Wasn’t sure what you’re saying cos the pins have a guide section and therefore can’t be prefitted.

I’ve always bought oem and they’ve always come with a pin(merlin also). XTR though so couldn’t comment on the other shimano chains

boybiskit
    Free Member

Not an issue.

My Deore chain and cass arrived from Merlin this morning. Chain is boxed and with pin. Cassette is OEM / not boxed

so there

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Chains from Merlin – No Connecting Pin?’ is closed to new replies.