Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano Centrelock adapter, why is it not a good idea ?
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

I was looking a wheelset that had a centrelock rotor fitting. I have avid rotors with the 6 hole fitting. When I rang the retailer for a bit more information about the wheels etc, I mentioned this and they said that they didnt think using the shimano or any other adaptor was a good solution , and should either change my rotors or choose a different wheelset. He never really elaborated as to why the Shimano adapter wasnt a great idea ? Just wondering if anyone else knows why ? And whether anyone else runs adapted rotors fine with no issues.

I suppose the only reason I can see after investigation is on the shimano website which has technical fitting details of their adapter, it has some tiny small print which says that, running an adapter can lead to the rotor having more play

njee20
    Free Member

Adapters work absolutely fine, sounds like he was a bit daft.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Or he had some rotors in stock he wanted to sell.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Adapters work absolutely fine, sounds like he was a bit daft.

Is that the Shimano adapter too ? with the locking circlip, and not a bolt on adapter ? The only thing I can possibly see on the shimano website, is in the small print on the adapter fitting instructions, that says using an adapter may lead to slightly more play in the rotor and that may lead to more rubbing.

wwaswas

I wish there was only one Mister P. Then we'd know which one was Mark.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Or he had some rotors in stock he wanted to sell

To be honest I am usually Mr Cynical on these sort of things, but I really dont think it was the case this time, he could have sold me an in stock centrelock wheelset there and then, he didnt even try and sell me rotors, he actually said he thought avid centrelock rotors were a daft price at £45 each and he wouldnt bother either !

packer
    Free Member

There is no way shimano would sell a brake component like that which simply didn't work. They would be up to their eyeballs in legal cases if they did.

hughjengin
    Free Member

There is no way shimano would sell a brake component like that which simply didn't work. They would be up to their eyeballs in legal cases if they did.

I dont think he was suggesting it was dangerous just that "it wasnt a good solution"
    Couldnt get him to elaborate more

ooOOoo
    Free Member

My centrelock rotor does have a little play – if you hold the front brake on and rock the wheel back & forth, you can see the rotor moving 1 or 2 degrees around the splines.

hughjengin
    Free Member

I think its possible side to side play that the shimano adapter creates, as the rotor is not actually bolted on, it slides onto 6 pins as I see it, and then is fixed in place by a large circlip

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I use Shimano XT Wheelset (776) and Hope Floating Rotors with the 'Formula Centrelock Adpater' and I have to say that this combination has given me no issues what-so-ever!

hughjengin
    Free Member

Holy smoke ! Those Formula Adaptors are £25 per wheel. I suppose its cheaper than buying new Avid centrelock rotors, but still adds £50 to a wheelset.

hughjengin
    Free Member

So, has anyone used the Shimano adaptor with complete success ?

cupra
    Free Member

Yes, on two bikes.

midlifecrashes

I'd be happiest buying new or s/h centrelock rotors. If you are going with adaptors, you might consider Superstar for cheapness.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Do the superstar ones bolt up, or do they retain the disc with some sort of clip

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Yeah, the formula ones are more expensive, but can be moved from wheelset to wheelset or sold if you go back to bolt-up rotors and the great thing about them is they are secured in place with existing tools, i.e. Front = BB Tool & Rear = Cassette tool – this way they are done up nice and tight, hence no movement or play.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Centrelock adapter, why is it not a good idea ?’ is closed to new replies.